Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Catch of the Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My theory is that catfish will eat anything that gets their attention. So people make up various outrageous baits and when they get lucky and the catfish notice it and bite, then they think they have a "secret catfish bait"

Reading up on catfish, they eat all sorts of gross stuff. They use their whiskers to smell with so anything with a strong odor (probably better if it is oil or grease based so it dissipates in the water less) will catch their attention if you get it close enough to them. They also seem to like to play with the bait a bit before eating it, and will suck it in and spit it out a few times and then try to eat it (sounds like a real cat huh? playing with it's food)

At least that is what I have read about catfish habits online.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      My theory is that catfish will eat anything that gets their attention. So people make up various outrageous baits and when they get lucky and the catfish notice it and bite, then they think they have a "secret catfish bait"

Reading up on catfish, they eat all sorts of gross stuff. They use their whiskers to smell with so anything with a strong odor (probably better if it is oil or grease based so it dissipates in the water less) will catch their attention if you get it close enough to them. They also seem to like to play with the bait a bit before eating it, and will suck it in and spit it out a few times and then try to eat it (sounds like a real cat huh? playing with it's food)

At least that is what I have read about catfish habits online.
      Carp on the other hand are very skittish. I snagged one yesterday. I didn't get him in. I thought I was caught on some weeds. I stop pulling for a bit, and the bobber starts moving. I get it in where I can see, and I thought it was a log. I stopped reeling, and is swam off.

I'll have to put up the pictures later. At least I can show you the one that got away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Carp on the other hand are very skittish. I snagged one yesterday. I didn't get him in. I thought I was caught on some weeds. I stop pulling for a bit, and the bobber starts moving. I get it in where I can see, and I thought it was a log. I stopped reeling, and is swam off.

I'll have to put up the pictures later. At least I can show you the one that got away.
        Nice.

Reminds me of the time I caught the loch ness monster. I was sitting in a row boat from my pirate ship fishing with a cane pole and a cork when something took the line and dragged me all over the lake. The a head popped up and I saw it was ol' Nessie herself. A 200 foot sea monster! I made a drawing of it for you:

39501.adapt.676.1.jpg

Just before it ate me and my row boat a megalodon attacked it, and they went off fighting and left me alone. I did lose my cane pole though. I am told you can still hear it swishing through the water on foggy nights in the loch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Nice.

Reminds me of the time I caught the loch ness monster. I was sitting in a row boat from my pirate ship fishing with a cane pole and a cork when something took the line and dragged me all over the lake. The a head popped up and I saw it was ol' Nessie herself. A 200 foot sea monster! I made a drawing of it for you:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6597[/ATTACH]

Just before it ate me and my row boat a megalodon attacked it, and they went off fighting and left me alone. I did lose my cane pole though. I am told you can still hear it swishing through the water on foggy nights in the loch.
          So, this commercial is based off you then?

Comment

Would I make up a fish tale? I am an honest pirate after all. You can trust me!

The Loch Ness event was only second to me fighting off the Kraken back in the day. That was a close one.

That event inspired the Kracken scene in the Pirates of the Carribean, which was pretty accurate, only they had to tone down the gore for the kiddies.

Comment

Catfish. They love stinky smelling bait.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Catfish. They love stinky smelling bait.
                So... Sparko should attach his socks to his fishhook?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  So... Sparko should attach his socks to his fishhook?
                  I only have one sock and it is kinda growed on at this point. Maybe belly button lint?

Comment

Okay, these are the fish from yesterday.

Hopefully those work, fb wouldn't give me public links despite the pictures being listed as public.

That big carp is the one I thought was a log btw.

Comment

• Went fishing with Brum again. The fish weren't biting for us too well, then it started picking up about the time we were tired out.

Brum caught big catfish, and he will probably post a photo later.

Cow Poke,
                      Apparently Indiana Catfish don't like hot dogs. I tried all three recipes (including the plain ones) and didn't even get a nibble. Brum's dad tried it too and he didn't get anything. Brum caught his catfish on a nightcrawler. Brum's dad caught several bass at the other end of the pond. So I went over there and gave it a shot and I got a strike on a bass, but it got away. But I did see a huge catfish there, it looked to be about 2 or more foot long! But it didn't like the artificial minnow I was fishing for bass with.

Later we saw some fish flipping around at a different spot, so I wandered over and tried catfishing with a worm. I got a large one in about 5 minutes. It looked to be about 15 inches long (about the same size as Brum caught) I got it almost to shore and it started fighting hard. I didn't have the net so I tried to drag it to the shore, but just then it shook his head really hard and the hook came free. Yeah I know, the one that got away story. But Brum saw it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Went fishing with Brum again. The fish weren't biting for us too well, then it started picking up about the time we were tired out.

Brum caught big catfish, and he will probably post a photo later.

Cow Poke,
                        Apparently Indiana Catfish don't like hot dogs. I tried all three recipes (including the plain ones) and didn't even get a nibble. Brum's dad tried it too and he didn't get anything. Brum caught his catfish on a nightcrawler. Brum's dad caught several bass at the other end of the pond. So I went over there and gave it a shot and I got a strike on a bass, but it got away. But I did see a huge catfish there, it looked to be about 2 or more foot long! But it didn't like the artificial minnow I was fishing for bass with.

Later we saw some fish flipping around at a different spot, so I wandered over and tried catfishing with a worm. I got a large one in about 5 minutes. It looked to be about 15 inches long (about the same size as Brum caught) I got it almost to shore and it started fighting hard. I didn't have the net so I tried to drag it to the shore, but just then it shook his head really hard and the hook came free. Yeah I know, the one that got away story. But Brum saw it!
                        For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Hey, don't try to worm me into your fish tales!

Seriously though, I did see something big flopping near the shore, but nobody was able to get Sparko a net. From my angle, it had to be either a good size catfish, or a big bass. I think the hook wasn't set properly, and that's why it got away. It has to really take it for a hook to be set on it's own.

As for pictures, they are on my mom's phone. I'll need to get them later when I have access to it.

In other news, looks like it's going to be rainy for the next 2 weeks.

Next time, try more worms, and less "special" catfish bait.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Hey, don't try to worm me into your fish tales!

Seriously though, I did see something big flopping near the shore, but nobody was able to get Sparko a net. From my angle, it had to be either a good size catfish, or a big bass. I think the hook wasn't set properly, and that's why it got away. It has to really take it for a hook to be set on it's own.

As for pictures, they are on my mom's phone. I'll need to get them later when I have access to it.

In other news, looks like it's going to be rainy for the next 2 weeks.

Next time, try more worms, and less "special" catfish bait.
                          Well if we catch that one huge catfish I saw, we could be on an episode of river monsters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Well if we catch that one huge catfish I saw, we could be on an episode of river monsters.
                            Well, if it's as big as you say maybe it can eat that eagle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              Well, if it's as big as you say maybe it can eat that eagle.
                              I am telling you, it was HUUUUGGGGE. We could have used it for a bass boat!

(seriously it was about 2-3 foot long)

Comment

• I did read that usually catfish feed in early the morning and afternoon/night

and that is kinda what we saw. Nothing much till around 3PM

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X