Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Obscure Movies Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obscure Movies Thread

Come one, come all, and share with us your hidden gems.

What are some good, great, unusual, or otherwise noteworthy movies you've seen that nobody else has heard of? Here are a couple of mine:

Exam -- Don't read anything about this movie before you watch it (the IMDB description is ok. But otherwise, I'm serious. Go into it as ignorant as possible.). Basically, 8 people are put into an isolated room and told to answer one question as the final part of the hiring process for a highly coveted job. Interesting movie.

Primer -- I'm not really a fan of time travel movies (because I think it's impossible, and the subject is usually handled rather goofily), but oh man if this isn't a movie that takes it seriously. Made with a budget of like $4000, it's about a couple engineers that accidentally invent a time machine...and then begin to abuse it. Very convoluted.

Dragon/Wu Xia -- Really cool martial arts movie that seems to be more thoughtful than most. Not much else to say, other than it's got the guy from the two "Ip Man" movies, which are also really cool.

Stand Up Guys -- I couldn't believe how much I liked this movie. It's a surprisingly funny and emotionally impactful movie about the reunion of a couple old retired gangsters.

The Man from Nowhere -- Another really cool martial arts movie. This one is quite a bit more violent, though.

Ink -- This is one of those weird movies that I just love. It's super confusing for the first 40 minutes, but stick with it. It pays off.

The Perfect Host -- Man, this is a strange movie. And that's all I'll say about it.

The Game -- Really interesting movie about a guy that gets an unusual birthday present. This one will throw you for a few loops.

I know I have more, so I'll add to this thread when I think of them.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

John Carter.

It was considered a flop but I quite enjoyed it.
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Ishtar.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Thank you very much for that one, you just made me lose the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          Thank you very much for that one, you just made me lose the game.

Comment

The Thirteenth Floor -- A pretty cool sci-fi about virtual reality. Came out about the same time as The Matrix, and was understandably overshadowed by it.

Green Street Hooligans -- the only role I've actually liked Elijah Wood in. An interesting movie about football violence (UK football).

Europa Report -- a pretty realistic sci-fi about a manned trip to one of Jupiter's moons.

Comment

I've watched The Game a few times and really enjoyed it.

The 13th Warrior
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Machete and Machete Kills.

Hilarious Grindhouse spoofs.

Comment

Misunderstood -- Gene Hackman plays a busy and often absent father who must take care of his two boys after his wife dies. They all live in Tunisia because of their father's job. The older boy is handling the difficult changes much better than the younger one.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The Square -- The second most depressing movie I've ever seen (I don't even want to mention the first). This movie is a really good illustration of "Be sure your sins will find you out." Not recommended if you like a movie with a happy ending.

Comment

Little Nemo in Slumberland. Okay, I only really liked it when I was a kid, but it's the only obscure one I can remember the name of.

Comment

The City of Lost Children

John Dies at the End

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There was a war orphan movie about a kid (In Korea? Viet Nam?) 'adopted' by a group of soldiers. I think the name was 'Digby' but can't find it online.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            There was a war orphan movie about a kid (In Korea? Viet Nam?) 'adopted' by a group of soldiers. I think the name was 'Digby' but can't find it online.
                            "Dondi" with David Janssen?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, I don't think so - the title character was Asian and I don't remember David Janssen being in it (he is one of my favorites so I'd probably remember that - maybe...)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment