Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Media Conduct: What's Your Policy?

Department Head Apologiaphoenix's Avatar
    Faith
    Trinitarian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm a member of the Christian Apologetics Alliance. I also have a group for Christian men who are married, about to get married, or planning on marrying to help us learn how to be godly husbands. Lately, I've been causing some of my own chaos on Peter Boghossian's Facebook page.

I do use my real name in many places because having my own show and my own ministry now, I need to put myself out there.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    uh...
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Paging the doctor. . . .
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Lately it seems my posts are offensive to my fellow Christian so I have been not posting much to Facebook... Actually all my church friends on my Facebook list don't even like or comment on my posts unless I find something taboo like a funny dancing woman (too scandalous). That's the only part of social media I hate.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I'm gonna modify Catholicity's list for myself since it makes a good template

1) I spew hate messages and I participate in them. I highly recommend that everyone find a web site with no manners, decorum or the least bit of humanity in its membership. It's highly cathartic.
    2) I don't gossip
    3) I TRY really hard not to say something I'll regret later. Emphasis on try.
    4) I don't say something or do something an employer could use against me
    5) I don't do anything illegal
    6) I friended a ton of people for facebook games. I'd sooner friend a stranger than someone I know in real life.
    Curious as to which site number #1 gives you the experience for...
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Today, William Lane Craig's ministry posted on Facebook a video responding to celebrity atheist Stephen Fry critiquing religion and saying that if God existed, he would be a maniac. The first comment was somebody quoting Romans 1:26-27 and saying "God feels the same way, homo!" Given that Craig is viewed by a number of people with religious uncertainty... I thought that was a very poor decision by whoever posted it. Also, predictably, the comments are heading straight toward an argument over whether you should call people "homo" rather than actually discussing the video.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

7. Amen pancreasman, Irate Canadian amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    (Craig's page ended up deleting that comment, by the way.)
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I'm gonna modify Catholicity's list for myself since it makes a good template

1) I spew hate messages and I participate in them. I highly recommend that everyone find a web site with no manners, decorum or the least bit of humanity in its membership. It's highly cathartic.
    2) I don't gossip
    3) I TRY really hard not to say something I'll regret later. Emphasis on try.
    4) I don't say something or do something an employer could use against me
    5) I don't do anything illegal
    6) I friended a ton of people for facebook games. I'd sooner friend a stranger than someone I know in real life.
    And yours makes a decent template for me.

For Facebook:

1) I spew (what some would regard as) hate messages, and participate in vigorous discussions thereof. I have an eclectic group of "Friends" of various religious, social, and political viewpoints. I post things without regard to whether anyone will be offended, partly with the intent of letting everyone get to know aspects of "me" they may never have encountered. I make free use of profanity on my own page. I do not use profanity on pages of people I know are offended by it. I do not use it in discussions in which such people are participating. In discussions where it is already in use, I stop using after such people join the conversation.

2) I don't gossip.

3) I give virtually no thought to whether or not I might eventually "regret" saying something. I never apologize for anything unless I am genuinely convinced I said something "wrong," and convincing me of that is no easy task. However, when it happens, apologies are copious and sincere.

4) I don't care about potential employers for myself. I do make a small effort not to say anything that could adversely affect that aspect of someone else's life.

5) I don't *knowingly* do or say anything illegal. The absurd superabundance of laws makes it impossible to make the claim in any unqualified way.

6) I never play Facebook games, and I have come close to Unfriending repeated sources of Game Requests.

7) I am on Facebook under my real name. On most "discussion sites," I at least try to register as NorrinRadd or Norrin Radd. (Not every Norrin Radd is me; I have noticed a few others.)

General Facebook usage -- I love it for having enabled me to reconnect with people I'd lost touch with decades ago. Besides that, in high school I was fairly shy, not to mention unsaved, and I've interacted with several of my classmates more on Facebook than I ever did in person in the whole time I knew them in school. I'm single, don't get out much, and my cat is a poor conversationalist, so unfortunately most of my socialization is via Facebook.

Elsewhere -- I do or did belong to several "Christian" sites in addition to Tweb, including CARM, Christian Forums, and the FFF. The "policy" that governs my "conduct" is the rule-set of each site. I follow them as I understand them. Usually, it eventually turns out that TPTB find that my understanding does not mesh with theirs, at which time I leave.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    • Be careful what you post. Employers are Googling more and more these days.
    • Don't post too much of the same thing, whether that be your political views, your budding romance, your cute kid, whatever. People who excessively post anything (especially politics) get unfollowed or unfriended by me, whatever is more appropriate. (I do expect that there will be a lot of posts about life events--weddings, new babies, graduations, deaths, etc. Those are fine.)
    • Speaking of romance, be minimal about new relationships. I think it's a bad idea to announce that you're "in a relationship" unless it's been going on for a couple of months and seems solid. There are no hard and fast rules here, I just hate it when friends drag me through the drama of their flash-in-the-pan relationships.
    • It's okay to announce a divorce or serious break-up, but "minimal" is the key. Your friends do not want to hear a 3-page missive on all of the horrible stuff your SO did leading to the divorce. And put some time between announcing a break-up and a new relationship.
    • Do not create groups and add people to them just to sell a product, whether that be your Jamberry or your Mary Kay or your It Works! or whatever.
    • Never, ever post about your kid's bodily fluids. No one wants to hear about that.
    • Don't post anything that can be used legally against you. Don't post about lawsuits except for the barest details of their existence.
    • I know you're excited about your pregnancy, but the old convention about not announcing it until the second trimester is kind of a good idea. And for crying out loud, don't post the pee stick.

I use Facebook for life updates, family pictures, and (very occasionally) online articles or blog posts that interest me. Twitter is a better medium for regularly sharing what you're reading around the Web.

I share my blog posts on both.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My Social Media Conduct? That's easy.

1. I have a minimal social media presence

2. I rarely post anything on the sites on which I have an account, which spares me the trouble of figuring out how I should conduct myself.

13. Amen princesa, LostSheep, OU812, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.