Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Divine revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OH
    Hey! I replied in ALL CAPS, cause my CAPS key was accidentally stuck down, trusting that Tweb would convert it to lowercase like in the good ol' days, but BEHOLD!!!! My entire post stayed in CAPS!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hey! I replied in ALL CAPS, cause my CAPS key was accidentally stuck down, trusting that Tweb would convert it to lowercase like in the good ol' days, but BEHOLD!!!! My entire post stayed in CAPS!
      I just thought you were especially surprised.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Yes, and you would have to learn gibberish. It may be unkind to speak thus of Shuny, but I am sure he will understand having spoken so offhandedly of the error of Christianity.
        So the inner conscience of my personage being reflective of the spiritual knowledge of the essence of my inner struggles whereby I transcend to newer understandings of awareness of human knowledge revealed in my spirit through revelations of the collective knowledge of prior and middle knowledge foreknown by the higher orders of spiritual changes based on prevailing science and society might supersede the inner feelings of inadequacy in the face of divine revelation concerning the spiritual enlightenment of the ages in my particular case?

And I want to get into that.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          I just thought you were especially surprised.
          Yeah, I was going for "matter of fact" and I ended up with "astonished".

Comment

Have you heard of the Bible?
            That doesn't answer my question.

NORM
            When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Fortunately, Shuny isn't representative of his belief system.
              In all humility, I would not consider myself 'representative,' I am to much a fallible human to be the 'representative.'

I am surprised that you would know me well enough to make such a pronouncement.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-22-2014, 08:40 PM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Am I correct that you don't believe in God*?
                Yes, you are.

If so, then why would you ever believe that any Christian (or other theist) received any knowledge about God by divine revelation?
                Maybe I wouldn't. But maybe that's just because I'm too stubborn to change my mind. The fact that I would not change my mind doesn't mean you can't give me a good reason to do so.

Comment

So the inner conscience of my personage being reflective of the spiritual knowledge of the essence of my inner struggles whereby I transcend to newer understandings of awareness of human knowledge revealed in my spirit through revelations of the collective knowledge of prior and middle knowledge foreknown by the higher orders of spiritual changes based on prevailing science and society might supersede the inner feelings of inadequacy in the face of divine revelation concerning the spiritual enlightenment of the ages in my particular case?

And I want to get into that.
                  Close. You got the idea.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                    That doesn't answer my question.

NORM
                    Yes it did. The Bible is divinely revealed.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Every Christian, in spite of what Mickiel might say, desires people to recognize Christ and be saved from a life of sin.
                      I used to believe that myself. Then some friends of mine, whom I was trying to lead to Christ, kept asking me why they should believe what I was telling them. I gave them the best answers I could, and they would ask me why they should believe those answers. This went on for quite some time, and it got to a point where I had no answer except "Because I say so." But I could not give my friends that answer, because I knew it was really no answer. And at the moment I realized that, I knew that my Christian beliefs were indefensible. I could not believe that something must be true for no better reason than my personal conviction that it was true.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        As a Baha'i I believe in Divine Revelation as a part of the spiritual cycle of rebirth and renewal manifest in the religion's of the world and their impact on a changing evolving world.
                        That tells me why you believe it. It doesn't tell me why I should believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                          Just for clarification: are we meaning by Divine Revelation, that the person, or persons with such are receiving a direct communication from God or G-d?
                          I am meaning that somebody has received such a communication. It could be individual believers here and now, or it could be the authors of some sacred literature, or it could be the founder or founders of some particular religion.

Comment

The Bible is divinely revealed.
                            Aside from your say-so, why should I believe that?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              Aside from your say-so, why should I believe that?
                              As you described above it is not easy to give an answer. It would take a significant effort for me to explain why I believe it, but perhaps I will work on that. Bottom line though is that my life with Christ leaves no doubts. Questions, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                In all humility, I would not consider myself 'representative,' I am to much a fallible human to be the 'representative.'

I am surprised that you would know me well enough to make such a pronouncement.
                                He didn't say "the representative" -- BIG difference.

Comment