Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ethical dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    They all die at once. Now you have to live with it.
    Yep. How about this, you only have enough water for one person, you have two dying of thirst, a Christian and an atheist. Who gets the water?

Comment

If they're dying of thirst, bit too late for a drink of water. Call 911 and have paramedics give IV Ringer's lactate. :) Not to mention, the Christian would say to give it to the atheist. What's the context? How are you stuck somewhere with only a very small amount of water and no rescue?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

What are you planning on doing? Don't even think about telling me.
        Raise up a tribe of Darth Executors with me as their pimp-king.

What if this was a simulation? You will be graded. Half are men, half are wome. Ages ranging from 16-60. Some are rich, others are poor. Who will you choose? What will this choice say about you?
        I'd ask for a volunteer.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
          And "ethical dilemmas" with outlandish parameters are hardly worth discussing.
          I think they're worth discussing. They frequently mirror macro-management decisions many past and current leaders have to make. Like whether to go to war, which practically guarantees innocent people will die.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Think he's reffering to the ones were the situation is designed on purpose to force you into an ethical dilemma.

Comment

How are you stuck somewhere with only a very small amount of water and no rescue?
              On a lifeboat!

Comment

Think he's reffering to the ones were the situation is designed on purpose to force you into an ethical dilemma.
                Yeah, I know...

Comment

Just chop off an arm or leg of about 8 random people. That will lessen the weight enough so that everyone can survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm
                    You and 15 others are in a lifeboat which is now overloaded by the weight of one person. The water around you is surrounded by sharks. There is a island in the distance. You can't sacrifice yourself. What do you do? And for some reason, you are the only one who can make the choice and no one volunteers to die.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Just chop off an arm or leg of about 8 random people. That will lessen the weight enough so that everyone can survive.
                    Water, boats, sharks... I knew this was a problem for a pirate!

I think Sparko's answer comes from personal experience
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

In general, I find "what might Jesus have me do?" is a much better question than "what would Jesus do?"
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Roll the lot, and whoever it lands on, gets thrown overboard. Every decision of the lot comes from the LORD anyways.

I probably wouldn't have a "lot" handy, so I'd have to very quickly find a way to randomize who gets chunked. And I'm not good at quick thinking.

Comment

How about the old villain has two of your friends/loved ones held hostage and you can only save one! And you are a character in a story where it is only up to you and you can't call the cops for some crazy reason! Hopefully y'all decided beforehand...

Comment

I may know friends/loved ones better than ones on the lifeboat, I may consider who acts best under stress and most comfortable going home to God.

Comment

You and 15 others are in a lifeboat which is now overloaded by the weight of one person. The water around you is surrounded by sharks. There is a island in the distance. You can't sacrifice yourself. What do you do? And for some reason, you are the only one who can make the choice and no one volunteers to die.
                              I would ask how many voted for Obama.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They aren't in the lifeboat! They were rescued by an evil villain who now want to kill everyone in an evil death trap!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X