Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Remembering WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering WW2

WW2.jpg
    Bill Prindible takes the controls during a flight over Normandy inside a C-47 Skytrain that flew during D-Day, June 5, 2014. Over 60 Ramstein Airmen have traveled to Normandy, France to celebrate and honor the sacrifices made by veterans of World War II.

If you ever get the chance to visit New Orleans, here is a very moving experience:

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Thank you all veterans for your sacrifice!

May we never forget.

Comment

One of my grandfathers served in WW II.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        so did mine. But he was German.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

My Dad was a flight instructor in that war, and both grandfathers served in WW 1.

Dad RCAF.jpg

My Dad.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My Dad was a Chaplain in WWII, but one of his "active duty" jobs was to help shoot down buzz bombs raining down on the English coast. He enlisted in the Army, but became part of the Air Force as it emerged from the Army Air Corps, to which he was assigned.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                so did mine. But he was German.
                One of my other grandfather's best friends was a German pilot in WW II. He got shot down and captured in North Africa, and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Kansas. He took correspondence courses while a POW, and ended up staying and becoming an Economics professor.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've told this story elsewhere, but in my "cop" days, I responded to an accident where a car had run off the road and hit a utility pole. Upon investigating, it was a senior citizen who had been drinking, and he was, by default, under arrest. Since he had been banged up a little in the accident, it was our policy to take him to the hospital to get checked out before being processed at our jail.

My partner drove my police cruiser back to the PD, and I rode in the back of the ambulance with this gentleman. During the 40 minute trip to the hospital, and the hour or so waiting for treatment, we had a fascinating talk. He had a German accent, and assessing his age, I assumed he probably served in WWII. He had. He was a Panzerkampfwagen Division Commander in a several Blitzkrieg operations during the war, and had some amazing perspective from his side. I had no axe to grind with him, he was totally cooperative, so it was a wonderful conversation.

For reasons I don't understand, when I turned him back over to our jail personnel, they did not remove his belt. (This would have normally been my responsibility, but my shift had LONG since ended, and the shift commander instructed me to "turn him over".)

Tragically, that night he hanged himself in our jail, and was found dead at the next jail check.

The family sued the department corporately, and several of us officers individually. When I was in deposition, there was an obvious attempt to blame me for antagonizing him and causing him to want to end his life. When I began sharing the conversation we had, with details I could only have gotten voluntarily from the deceased, the opposing counsel abruptly dismissed me and said, "we don't need anything further".

Not only did I REALLY enjoy my time with him, it ended up exhonorating me from a wrongful death lawsuit which could have been disastrous.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of my other grandfather's best friends was a German pilot in WW II. He got shot down and captured in North Africa, and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Kansas. He took correspondence courses while a POW, and ended up staying and becoming an Economics professor.
                    My grandpa was just a regular soldier, forced to fight for the Nazi's. Basically conscripted. He was captured too and spent most of the war in a POW camp in New Jersey. Said he loved it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      My grandpa was just a regular soldier, forced to fight for the Nazi's. Basically conscripted.
                      That's what my Panzer guy was explaining -- MANY of the soldiers were only fighting because they were forced to, and there was a huge morale problem accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That's what my Panzer guy was explaining -- MANY of the soldiers were only fighting because they were forced to, and there was a huge morale problem accordingly.
                        Yeah my mom told me stories of them growing up over there. Basically the Nazi's controlled everything but not that many were actually part of the Nazi party. Most were people just trying to get by. The schools were run by nazi's though and she told me that after the war the townspeople drove the teachers out of town. The nazi's would also just go into people's homes and take whatever they wanted, so they had to hide food and stuff just to survive. And when the army decided they wanted you, you had to go or they would arrest you and your family.

Here is my grandpa in uniform..

opa-army2.jpg

Comment

My Dad was a naval officer involved in the first landings in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. As he used to say, once he saw that things were well in hand in Europe, he joined the submarine service so that he could win the war in the Pacific as well. He also said he joined the submarine service because the food was better so I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

My father was a tank commander who fought and was wounded during the Battle of the Bulge. He was the only survivor on both sides of that particular skirmish. One of my mother's brothers served with distinction in Italy. The other never got further than New Jersey.

OTOH, I did have a relative (my mother's uncle or grand uncle) who was a Nazi officer in the SS who was executed by the Russians at the end of the war. A totally evil #@%$#& from everything I understand.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X