Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Remedy for Spiritual Burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remedy for Spiritual Burnout

Without going into too much detail, I came to Christ in 1993, and my walk since has been one of near-constant wandering. I'd feel like I had a foothold on the truth, or at least a facet of it, and would cling desperately to that view and test it under the fire of debate and personal study, until I felt that my then-current position was either not-wholly-defensible or just not worth debating any longer. I've been through charismaticism (though I never bought fully into the Word of Faith movement so popular in my area of the US), Baptistic thought, Open Theism, Calvinism, Dispensationalism, Adventism, Catholicism, Mennonitism--I've pretty much run the gamut, except maybe for Methodism. There's been a few theological dabblings mixed in there that I am ashamed to admit even with the anonymity of the Internet protecting me. At the end of these forays I tend to feel far from God and not very interested in persuing theology at all.

I ask prayer because I am in the midst of such a dry season. I'm trying to "plug in" to a local church, just a non-denominational Bible assembly that emphasizes the supremacy of Scripture. I don't really "feel" anything when I go--no great emotional highs, nothing indicating that what I'm doing provides even a modicum of closeness to God--but I will continue to go because I believe God would have me among believers. So, please keep me in prayer.

I do know the Lord has given you at least one gift (1 Peter 4:10). Have you become aware of what it is? If so, do it with all your might for His glory and leave the results to Him.
    Last edited by foudroyant; 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Feelings are not a reliable guide. Don't worry about what your church experiences leave you feeling. Commitment is what counts. Have you had disappointments with theological experiments? Remember these theological efforts are the attempts of men to come to grasp the message of the Bible. They will all be wrong in some way or another. Christ is always right and can be trusted. This advice is the result of over 40 years of following Christ however imperfectly.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by The Unknown Comic View Post
        Without going into too much detail, I came to Christ in 1993, and my walk since has been one of near-constant wandering. I'd feel like I had a foothold on the truth, or at least a facet of it, and would cling desperately to that view and test it under the fire of debate and personal study, until I felt that my then-current position was either not-wholly-defensible or just not worth debating any longer. I've been through charismaticism (though I never bought fully into the Word of Faith movement so popular in my area of the US), Baptistic thought, Open Theism, Calvinism, Dispensationalism, Adventism, Catholicism, Mennonitism--I've pretty much run the gamut, except maybe for Methodism. There's been a few theological dabblings mixed in there that I am ashamed to admit even with the anonymity of the Internet protecting me. At the end of these forays I tend to feel far from God and not very interested in persuing theology at all.

I ask prayer because I am in the midst of such a dry season. I'm trying to "plug in" to a local church, just a non-denominational Bible assembly that emphasizes the supremacy of Scripture. I don't really "feel" anything when I go--no great emotional highs, nothing indicating that what I'm doing provides even a modicum of closeness to God--but I will continue to go because I believe God would have me among believers. So, please keep me in prayer.
        It sounds like you still are buying into the charismatic teachings that your feelings are indicators of your level of spirituality. I see several of the same buzz words that I was taught when I was involved with the Pentecostal Holiness Church. Those teachings are why so many, like yourself, are struggling today. Grandpa Jed puts it rather clearly:

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Feelings are not a reliable guide. .
        Remember Jeremiah says the heart is deceitful and can not be trusted. Paul tells us that our faith is built, not on how we feel, but on the truth of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. That fact must be rock solid in your mind and spirit. Once you come to understand that the resurrection is THE unshakeable part of your faith, then you will begin to grow out of using your feelings as a barometer of your spiritual maturity. Your walk with God will be built on a firm foundation of who He is, not how you feel. Tenth Avenue North's song "You are More" says "This is not about what you feel, but what He felt to forgive you, and what He felt to make you new". He loved you enough to go to Calvary. He loved you enough to go into the tomb. And He loved you enough to not stay there. Accept that fact as the bedrock of your faith and you will start to shed the misdirected feelings of your own heart.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Feelings are not a reliable guide. Don't worry about what your church experiences leave you feeling. Commitment is what counts. Have you had disappointments with theological experiments? Remember these theological efforts are the attempts of men to come to grasp the message of the Bible. They will all be wrong in some way or another. Christ is always right and can be trusted. This advice is the result of over 40 years of following Christ however imperfectly.
          Yeah
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Want to thank you all for the replies. I think I'm seeing little breakthroughs here and there, praise God.

Comment