Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Sugar and I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    1) Gastric bypass 2003
    2) > 50lb since Feb 2013
    3) Already discussed with the doctor this past Feb at my last visit. But my appetite is getting worse so it is probably time to go back.
    4) Cannot absorb iron. Labs were okay in June, however.
    Oh... Yup time to go back. This sounds like a complication of gastric bypass actually a couple of them.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Unfortunately, artificial sweeteners are bad news healthwise. Worse for some folks than table sugar, even. Some stevia extract products may have quality issues, otherwise are OK except for the expense. Have you heard of lo han? I've never used it, so I don't know how expensive it can be.
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        Oh... Yup time to go back. This sounds like a complication of gastric bypass actually a couple of them.

As soon as Mr Bank Account says it's okay, I'll go.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sorry to hear this Teal. But if you ever want to send some of that "loose weight without trying" on up here I will gladly send you all the snow you could use.

You know, like enough to make an ice cube or something.

No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Heh, this is the only time of year when that offer is actually tempting, Sup.

Thanks!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ugh! 80 degrees here today. Way too hot. For the majority of the world with a dull uninteresting system it is around 27 miserable degrees.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

97F here. Lower humidity and it didn't get hot 'til late afternoon so it wasn't bad - by Alabama standards.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It hit 111 earlier this week. Right now it's 88 degrees with 38 percent humidity.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

...which would help with sweating it off actually.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I don't need help - I am sweating plenty as it is!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I found that my taste for beer largely displaced my taste for sugar (especially soda).

All in all, a good tradeoff.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            I'm becoming increasingly intolerant of sugar. I get mildly nauseous if I eat too much (violently if I'm stupid and keep going - which I don't do). 'Too much' varies from one day to another - sometimes I can tolerate a small serving (and I do mean 'small') of ice cream - sometimes the first bite makes me sick.

I keep craving it from time to time but less so over time. Strangely, my appetite seems to go down the less tolerant I am of sugar.

It is best to avoid all high glycemic white stuff like white flour, corn, potatoes, white refined rice, and of course sugar in your diet, because they are basically sugar shortly after you eat them. Replace with food like whole grains and Sweet potatoes,
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              It is best to avoid all high glycemic white stuff like white flour, corn, potatoes, white refined rice, and of course sugar in your diet, because they are basically sugar shortly after you eat them. Replace with food like whole grains and Sweet potatoes,
                              Oddly, starches don't have the same effect. I can tolerate carbs but not in large quantities (my 'large quantity' would be anyone else's 'normal serving'). But sugar, especially in the presence of milk, causes mild nausea - albeit unpredictably. I suppose I could make it worse but I do try to avoid eating too much of it.

In other news, I manages two small servings of homemade ice cream Sunday and became only a tiny bit nauseous.

But thanks, I do appreciate your help.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X