Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronos (Greek god of Time) ---> distortion ----> Chrawnus

Comment

I liked the sound of it. Then I found out recently its an adverb describing Catholic devotion. That was applicable when I picked the name.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

God is timeless, so I just took that and ended the word "theist" at the end.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I had a friend who HATED having photos of his face taken. When he was at social gatherings and people were taking pictures he would take a black t-shirt and wrap it around his head and face like a ninja mask. I liked the idea for a screen name.
          "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
          -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by tharkun View Post
            Not really profound, per se, but for those in-the-know, it reveals my fond addiction for all things Tolkien.
            You are my servant, Mr. Gandalf.

Manwë, in very simplistic terms, is the name of what might be considered the chief archangel in charge of running the world, in Tolkien's mythology.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
              I had a friend who HATED having photos of his face taken. When he was at social gatherings and people were taking pictures he would take a black t-shirt and wrap it around his head and face like a ninja mask. I liked the idea for a screen name.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                so either a ninja or a terrorist.

Comment

When I went to college they handed our email names based upon our real name. I came to realize it was a handy nickname, one of very few that I don't mind. Actually, I think it's the only nickname I've cared for.
                  No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

I played a champion in daoc for years named Jolene and I like Rei Ayanami from Evangelion

Comment

Originally "silas", simply because I loved the character "Silas Marner" in the book by that name, written by George Elliot. I identified with Silas somewhat for various reasons. Problem was, everyone thought it was a reference to Silas of the New Testament. I never even thought of that association. Changed the spelling to make a handy distinction, and also to make it easier to seach for my name and not pick up a lot of threads talking about Paul and Silas.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Chronos (Greek god of Time) ---> distortion ----> Chrawnus

Here I was thinking it was from some anime/manga.

Comment

For those who have not figured it out 37818~BIBLE. It is like ShELL.OIL 710.77345 in the calculator held upside down.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

My user name is a play on words of a sort -- I like to compose music from time to time, and I made a video game in which the main character's name is Melody. (It wasn't until after I came up with the name that I discovered Ephesians 5:19. ^_^ )
                            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              What profound meaning does your screen name hold for you?

I was in my freshman year of college, and needed a good screen name to play Travian (that game...). I, of course, couldn't think of anything, so I just grabbed a dictionary and started paging through it.

I sat there for a long time.

Eventually, though, I came across this word "zymology" and thought, "Hey, this is great! I'll use it."

Since then, I've never seen it used anywhere else, and few people seem to know what it means. It's perfect!
                              I finally looked it up. You're someone who studies the applied science of fermentation.
                              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment