Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Early Image of Jesus Found in Egyptian Tomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You left out a letter "i".

Cause I knew you'd never be happy if you couldn't complain.

(It's ok, Jesse -- he ain't ugly, he's my brother!)

So, buy me a vowel, Rouge!
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-04-2014, 08:30 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

During my "Googling" I found this quote on the HuffingtonPost article about it:

CORRECTION: A previous headline of this article incorrectly suggested the depiction found in Egypt was the earliest known; it is among the earliest, but other images thought to be of Jesus predate it.
      I wonder what those other images are and if there are any similarities/differences.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

The earliest images found archeologically are probably from the Roman catacombs in the 3rd century. There are a couple icons attributed by legend to St. Luke, but I'm not sure if they have been tested (and they may have been repaired over the centuries, which would throw off dates). Many images were destroyed in the 8th century by iconoclasts.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Cause I knew you'd never be happy if you couldn't complain.
          You know me so well

(It's ok, Jesse -- he ain't ugly, he's my brother!)
          I'm too purty to be ugly. Just homely enough to be considered cute (at least to the wimmenfolk who forgot to wear their glasses).

So, buy me a vowel, Rouge!
          I see you're trying to make me happy again Cow Poek

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            The earliest images found archeologically are probably from the Roman catacombs in the 3rd century. There are a couple icons attributed by legend to St. Luke, but I'm not sure if they have been tested (and they may have been repaired over the centuries, which would throw off dates). Many images were destroyed in the 8th century by iconoclasts.
            And many of the early Church Fathers spoke negatively about making images of Jesus as well as the 4th century Synod of Elvira.

One of the earliest depictions that has survived and isn't from the Roman catacombs comes from what appears to have been the baptismal chamber of a house-church in Dura-Europos on the Euphrates River in modern Syria depicting the miraculous healing the paralytic at Capernaum by Jesus in the Gospels in (Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:1-12; Luke 5:17-26). It is dated at c.235 B.C.

church-healing-of-paralytic.jpg
            Christ is top center

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Say it isn't so Ethel.
              And many of the early Church Fathers spoke negatively about making images of Jesus as well as the 4th century Synod of Elvira.

One of the earliest depictions that has survived and isn't from the Roman catacombs comes from what appears to have been the baptismal chamber of a house-church in Dura-Europos on the Euphrates River in modern Syria depicting the miraculous healing the paralytic at Capernaum by Jesus in the Gospels in (Matthew 9:1-8; Mark 2:1-12; Luke 5:17-26). It is dated at c.235 B.C.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1002[/ATTACH]
              Christ is top center
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1002[/ATTACH]
                Christ is top center
                Thank you both One Bad Pig and rogue06 for clarifying this for me.

Rogue, the Healing of the Paralytic painting is also the earliest one I could find myself. It's interesting that both of these depict Christ as having short, curly hair. And the tunic is also pretty much the same. Very interesting.
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  Say it isn't so Ethel.
                  It was... um... er... I, uh ... did it on purpose so that CP would have something to pick on me about. Yeah, that's the ticket. I did it on purpose

Comment

It was... um... er... I, uh ... did it on purpose so that CP would have something to pick on me about. Yeah, that's the ticket. I did it on purpose
                    He always comes back to this if he's not quick enough to destroy the evidence that he even tried.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reconstruction based on the shroud of Turin:
                      Turin Reconstruct.jpg
                      It is a highly intriguing piece of linen.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He always comes back to this if he's not quick enough to destroy the evidence that he even tried.
                        Growing up around you made me an expert on covering my tracks. But at 5:00 in the morning when I've had 13 hours sleep over the past 72 hours I got sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Reconstruction based on the shroud of Turin:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1012[/ATTACH]
                          It is a highly intriguing piece of linen.

Intriguing, yes -- reliable, not so much.

Comment

I'm not satisfied one way or the other, but the claim that it originates in the early 1300s doesn't hold water - a hymnal from 70 years earlier has a picture of the shroud on it.
                            This isn't the most exhaustive report, but it is a (relatively) dispassionate overview.
                            http://shroud2000.com/FastFacts.html
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Intriguing, yes -- reliable, not so much.
                              Here also is Christ in the Roman Catacomb of Callixtus (End of the 2nd Century):

Good_shepherd_01_small.jpg

Is there anything to be said for these depictions being so similar but being so far apart where age is concerned?

Comment

The latter is interesting for being beardless which definitely would not have been the norm.

Comment