Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: According to preterism there is no devil [in the world today].

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

According to preterism there is no devil [in the world today].

Quote Originally Posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    <snip>
    4) As a preterist, I'd say he's no longer active in the world but will be again one day
    <snip>
    Goes to show the error of preterism.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know if I've seen it done but I suppose it would be possible to hold to preterism while maintaining that the view of the devil's binding is an example of taking the symbols in Revelation too literally.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post

When the bit you put in parentheses substantially alters the meaning of the sentence, it probably shouldn't be offset by them.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    UdoxChristian/Adoptionist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One problem futurists have is that a current binding should seem to result in no evil on earth.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wonder why some people think all evil is a result of demons and Satan? We humans can be pretty nasty on our own.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    One problem futurists have is that a current binding should seem to result in no evil on earth.
    Why, pray tell? I'd like to see your (or any futurist's, for that matter) reasoning for that assertion.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post

It's not a position that can't hold water. Even the writers of the Bible believed that the angels who sinned were cast into Hell and are chained up till Judgement (2 Peter 2:4).

Do these Futurists honestly believe that humanity would be paragons of virtue if demons weren't involved on a regular basis?
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, would the binding of the devil necessarily mean that all individual demons are bound? I don't think it would necessarily have to; this is very speculative territory and we can't be all that dogmatic.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    UdoxChristian/Adoptionist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Wonder why some people think all evil is a result of demons and Satan? We humans can be pretty nasty on our own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    Do these Futurists honestly believe that humanity would be paragons of virtue if demons weren't involved on a regular basis?
    Probably because the first evil of eating from the Tree of Knowledge was initiated by Satan. Some Jews believe as an external force the Serpent is the yetzer hara or evil inclination entered into and became bound to Adam, who previously only had yetzer hatov/good inclinations. Once removed, man would be wholly good again. (Getting to Know the Yetzer Hara)

Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Why, pray tell? I'd like to see your (or any futurist's, for that matter) reasoning for that assertion.
    I think because we see the end of all evil and deception to sin about when Satan goes into the Lake of Fire in Revelation 20, apparently along with his angels (demons) Matthew 25:41.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Also, would the binding of the devil necessarily mean that all individual demons are bound? I don't think it would necessarily have to; this is very speculative territory and we can't be all that dogmatic.
    True, Revelation doesn't explicitly state Satan's angels are also bound, although Luke 8 has demons asking Jesus to send them to swine rather than the Abyss which implies that demons may also be sent there, see also Jude. Since they follow him to the Lake of Fire one might reason that they are also bound with him in the Abyss, but it is admittedly just speculation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig
    I think because we see the end of all evil and deception to sin about when Satan goes into the Lake of Fire in Revelation 20, apparently along with his angels (demons) Matthew 25:41.
    You need to bone up a bit on preterist beliefs. We believe that satan is bound at the moment (Rev 20:1-3), not cast into the Lake of Fire; that comes later for us as well.