Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Pffftttt!!!

I've known for decades that there is no such thing as an Atheist and have stated
    so numerous times here on TWeb. I do use the term "Atheist", of course, as a
    sort of generic 'identifying label'. However, my position since sometime in the 1970's
    has been that "Everyone has a religion, the only question is WHICH religion."
    In fact, I believe that in a recent TWeb post I made that statement again.

BTW, as a corollary I also hold that Everyone serves some 'god', the only question is WHICH 'god'.

So, this "news" is hardly a revalation to me.

Jorge
    Then you have the ones who get their "science" from ICR, AIG, and Chick tracts.

Comment

I think the Atheists here are missing the point. Instead of attacking the headline of the post, how about showing some proof as to why the science is wrong? Yeah I get it, it is uncomfortable for you to think that you are religious even though you want the world to think you are not. But the science is leading more to the idea that our brains are hard wired for belief in a deity. And I guarantee this will become the consensus as we learn more.

I think it is a bit silly calling this "Pop Sci" because you never heard of it. This idea has been around for a while. I came across this thesis when the book "The "God" Part of the Brain" came out. And now more scientists are looking into it and taking it seriously. I think maybe some of you should too.
      Last edited by Jesse; 07-09-2014, 05:31 PM.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Jesse,

How do you know that YOU exist?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          Jesse,

How do you know that YOU exist?

K54
          I don't. I'm a myth .
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            I think the Atheists here are missing the point. Instead of attacking the headline of the post, how about showing some proof as to why the science is wrong?
            The article you cited didn't contain any science that suggests "scientists discover atheists don't exist". All science shows is that human minds have evolved a propensity to look for cause and effect in their daily dealings and will sometimes attribute an unknown cause to the supernatural, not necessarily a god. The whole "atheists don't exist" angle touted by the author is personal opinion dressed up with a sensational headline.

Here is the essay that appeared in Nature some years back that was referenced

Being human: Religion: Bound to believe?
            Pascal Boyer
            Nature 455, 1038-1039 (23 October 2008)
            It's an overview of the hypothesized reasons why inventing Gods has historically been such a prominent human behavior. It's quite a bit different that the heavily spun version your blog author put on things.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
              The article you cited didn't contain any science that suggests "scientists discover atheists don't exist". All science shows is that human minds have evolved a propensity to look for cause and effect in their daily dealings and will sometimes attribute an unknown cause to the supernatural, not necessarily a god. The whole "atheists don't exist" angle touted by the author is personal opinion dressed up with a sensational headline.

Here is the essay that appeared in Nature some years back that was referenced

It's an overview of the hypothesized reasons why inventing Gods has historically been such a prominent human behavior. It's quite a bit different that the heavily spun version your blog author put on things.
              I believe his "spun" version it to be taken in totality. Not just the one essay he referenced. You seem to be a bit hung up on the "atheists don't exist" part without really understanding it. No one is saying you as an Atheist (the belief) doesn't exist. I am sure you think you are one, but no one is one by naturalistic standards. Meaning, you were born a believer by nature and by nature you still are one even though you say otherwise.

Dean Hamer in his book "The God Gene" goes even further than the author of this piece does. Neuroscientists are starting to accept most of this now. The point that is being made is simple, you really are not an atheist.

Comment

The point that is being made is simple, you really are not an atheist.
                Sorry but that's still a scientifically unsupported opinion.

1. The human propensity for believing in the supernatural doesn't mean everyone automatically has those beliefs.
                2. You can believe in the supernatural without believing in a god or gods. There are plenty of elves, sprites, unicorns and leprechauns to go around.

I'm not bothered in the least I just find it quite amusing that so many religious fundamentalist will jump at any chance to take a pot shot at atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                  Sorry but that's still a scientifically unsupported opinion.

1. The human propensity for believing in the supernatural doesn't mean everyone automatically has those beliefs.
                  2. You can believe in the supernatural without believing in a god or gods. There are plenty of elves, sprites, unicorns and leprechauns to go around.

I'm not bothered in the least I just find it quite amusing that so many religious fundamentalist will jump at any chance to take a pot shot at atheists.
                  Not really a pot shot when it's coming from Atheists themselves. Nor is the science trying to take pot shots at you or trying to make you bothered. I am just not understanding the push against what the science is saying. What in your view would make this supportable?

Comment

Not really a pot shot when it's coming from Atheists themselves.
                    It was the personal opinion of an atheist, singular, and not in the context of any scientific study.

Nor is the science trying to take pot shots at you or trying to make you bothered. I am just not understanding the push against what the science is saying.
                    I agree science isn't taking the pot shots, it's the people misrepresenting the science that are taking the pot shots.

My push back is against those trying to spin the science into saying something it doesn't.

What in your view would make this supportable?
                    Demonstrating that there are in fact no atheists in the world would be a start. But you may have a bit of a problem with that one unless you start with the No True Atheisttm fallacy.

Comment

Jesse please excuse my bad manners,

welcome to NS301!

Comment

But the science is leading more to the idea that our brains are hard wired for belief in a deity. And I guarantee this will become the consensus as we learn more.
                        I agree with you on that.

But I am an atheist.

Mind you, perhaps there are some who have brains "hard wired" for atheism. They are kind of mutants?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          No, no, he exists - you're thinking of Taoist.

Granted, merely existing doesn't mean he actually is what he thinks he is!

Sorry, RW - couldn't resist...
                          First you gotta convince me that this mythical land known as "Australia" really exists in order for me to accept that someone might be living there.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A little something for our athiest friends to ponder.
                            Right. So all of metaphysics is a psychological construct. Now if only there were a word in the English language to describe people who reject metaphysics, because it's nothing but a psychological construct ... hmmmm ....

Comment

Dean Hamer in his book "The God Gene" goes even further than the author of this piece does. Neuroscientists are starting to accept most of this now. The point that is being made is simple, you really are not an atheist.
                              As I understood it, the idea proposed was that humans are hard wired to believe in something greater than themselves, and that this hard wiring wouldn't necessarily tend to a belief in the supernatural. Hero worship and science worship are enough to keep the predisposition mollified.

Also, the "god gene" is associated with "mystic experience" - something that I haven't experienced, and encounters with people who do have the experience lead to me to be skeptical that it has anything to do with Christianity in particular, and possibly with other religions.

Admittedly though, I haven't kept myself abreast of developments since this first made a splash.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 07-10-2014, 04:33 AM.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                No you don't
                                Then you must be talking to yourself.

Comment