Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should property owners be charged for the well water they use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    That would certainly be superior to what the world is now.

Your last sentence is, I think, rather questionable. For one thing, recycling + well(s) + solar power is a viable option in many parts of the world now, I think. If not most parts.
    I am curious what percentage of people both live on land where they have access to water (probably very few people in urban areas) AND can afford the necessary technology to clean the water if necessary. The solutions you mention are certainly viable for many people but that still leaves many people remaining.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Your last sentence is, I think, rather questionable. For one thing, recycling + well(s) + solar power is a viable option in many parts of the world now, I think. If not most parts.
      I have drilled MANY water wells, over 100 in Haiti... the problem is they need to be DEEP (about 200 feet) and that's not something poor people can do on their own. Then they have to have power to lift that water, and a way to get that water to where they need to use it.

You make it sound WAY simpler than it is.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That would certainly be superior to what the world is now.

I'm afraid full airing of the government v. no government debate will require a thread of its own.
        Solar power requires expensive damageable parts.

What they do in Africa is attach a bicycle or a kids roundabout. 1. the kids end up with something to play on. 2 it doesn't require something as fragile and stealable as solar panels (I've seen guys dig through a metre of re-enforced concrete to steal two truck batteries .... can you imagine how quickly solar panels would get nicked)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout_PlayPump
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is kind of civics and economics, so feel free to move it if necessary.

Texas is preparing to do a "study" on water wells and usage. This is obviously a first step toward taxing or charging usage fees for well water.

It will begin with a "survey" of land owners who have water wells -- "how much do you use, how deep is your well", etc....

Then I'm guessing they'll either require a meter on the well, or come up with some kind of metric based on total land area, number of cattle, size of crop producing fields, or whatever.

Should land owners be charged for well water they use?
          South Africa has a policy like this:
          http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Projects/WARM.../pdf/A5eng.pdf

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            Solar power requires expensive damageable parts.

What they do in Africa is attach a bicycle or a kids roundabout. 1. the kids end up with something to play on. 2 it doesn't require something as fragile and stealable as solar panels (I've seen guys dig through a metre of re-enforced concrete to steal two truck batteries .... can you imagine how quickly solar panels would get nicked)
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout_PlayPump
            Um, why?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

South Africa has a policy like this:
              http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Projects/WARM.../pdf/A5eng.pdf
              Interesting.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Um, why?
                You talking about the truck batteries? Hook them up to an inverter and you have electricity for a few hours. definitely a good reward to having spend about 2 days chipping away at concrete.

When I was a student I used to work for a land surveyor whose major client was Eskom. And I used to have to go out in the more rural areas and survey existing and potential new electricity lines......you have no idea what people will do in Africa in order to get free electricity.

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

You talking about the truck batteries? Hook them up to an inverter and you have electricity for a few hours. definitely a good reward to having spend about 2 days chipping away at concrete.

When I was a student I used to work for a land surveyor whose major client was Eskom. And I used to have to go out in the more rural areas and survey existing and potential new electricity lines......you have no idea what people will do in Africa in order to get free electricity.
                  Wow...
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I had not thought about using solar power to power ground drills. I also had not thought about electricity for the poor. I'm afraid the interior of my skull is about as empty as the interior of the hydrogen atom.

I didn't understand "nicked," -- yoo hoo, Nick Peters, are you reading this? Then mirabile dictu I remembered the British slang for "to steal."
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I am curious what percentage of people both live on land where they have access to water (probably very few people in urban areas) AND can afford the necessary technology to clean the water if necessary. The solutions you mention are certainly viable for many people but that still leaves many people remaining.
                      Equipment to harvest solar energy is getting cheaper and cheaper. I am not sure where solar power is a good alternative for water purification now, but we are getting to where it will be the best way to go in most parts of the world. And pumping water is a good use of solar power.
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

When I was with the gas compression company, we had people stealing things off our 2 million dollar compressors -- usually stuff like the "site glass" that tells what the lubricant level is -- it's basically a glass tube out of which someone can make a crack pipe.

You have no idea what people will do in South Texas to get free drug paraphernalia.

Comment

Equipment to harvest solar energy is getting cheaper and cheaper. I am not sure where solar power is a good alternative for water purification now, but we are getting to where it will be the best way to go in most parts of the world. And pumping water is a good use of solar power.
                          Solar power would, of course, require batteries for storage, and they're part of the cost / theft risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Solar power would, of course, require batteries for storage, and they're part of the cost / theft risk.
                            It'd be a bit hard to cart off a big water storage tank. Imagine someone trying to steal a village's water tank. Heh.

Comment

Cow Poke suggested that the economic sector of the utilities would have a monopoly problem. Either we have lots of duplication or we force the utilities to establish local monopolies. So, this new thread http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...city-next-year
                              surprised me. I do understand that the company that generates the power is still the same, and the grid is still the same, but I still felt surprised.

Comment

It'd be a bit hard to cart off a big water storage tank. Imagine someone trying to steal a village's water tank. Heh.
                                You're being silly -- the villages I worked at in Haiti had NO "water storage tank" -- there was a "tap" with flowing water, sometimes into a trough, from which people filled their buckets, plastic gallon jugs, pitchers, or whatever. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same in other third world countries.

It's the batteries and solar equipment that would get stolen.

Here is the "water supply" typical of Haiti.

water_supply.jpg

As you can see, there's not much to steal.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-11-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X