Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How do you calm your anger........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you calm your anger........

when you see things like this.

I realize I am not an American but this entire thing about the Hobby Lobby does make me fear for Christians in the U.S.A.

Finally, a question. Do you plan to migrate if things like this keep going on (a question to Christians)?

?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Political winds come and go - and Christ warned us of persecution - but in the US we ARE the government as well as the governed. If we flee, we're fleeing our duty as citizens and besides, where would we go? The US, for all its flaws, is still the freest nation on Earth and the one with religious freedom enshrined in its foundation.

No, this is where we stand and fight - with words, love, and perseverance. If we can't win here, don't fear for us - fear for the rest of the world which has never had the deep ties to freedom that America has flowing through her veins. If freedom cannot stand here, it cannot stand anywhere.

Besides, November is just around the corner. Shumer is playing to his base at a time when the majority of the nation has moved away from that base. Thanks Chuck - grist for GOP mill only makes taking the Senate more likely. The GOP is no panacea but it will bring a lot of the Democrat program to a screeching halt.

Don't be afraid - be vigilant. That's what Scripture teaches, after all. And no nation-state - not even the US - is in control the way that God is. He's got this - His plans are not foiled by human stupidity. Whatever comes, He is still God. Job was right - though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

He's only repeating what certain libertarian elements have been saying for some time: that morality has no place in running a business.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        He's only repeating what certain libertarian elements have been saying for some time: that morality has no place in running a business.
        Eh, basically - slight twist from their intent, I think.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

If morality has no place in running a business, would this imply taking advantage of an opportunity to circumvent laws if one believed they had a 100% chance of getting away with it?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            If morality has no place in running a business, would this imply taking advantage of an opportunity to circumvent laws if one believed they had a 100% chance of getting away with it?
            Yep - libertarianism has a slight problem with that part. They would argue that the market tends to enforce morality - but that's only partially true, human nature being what it is...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Eh, basically - slight twist from their intent, I think.
              They want people to not hold them accountable for not integrating morality into corporate governance, now Schumer is universalizing that to every business. Apparently the only morality Schumer wants corporations to observe is precisely what the government mandates-- no more, no less.

That said, I'd be curious to know whether he'd say the same about a company that was trying to lessen its environmental impact because of some religious motivation.

Comment

Political winds come and go - and Christ warned us of persecution - but in the US we ARE the government as well as the governed. If we flee, we're fleeing our duty as citizens and besides, where would we go? The US, for all its flaws, is still the freest nation on Earth and the one with religious freedom enshrined in its foundation.

No, this is where we stand and fight - with words, love, and perseverance. If we can't win here, don't fear for us - fear for the rest of the world which has never had the deep ties to freedom that America has flowing through her veins. If freedom cannot stand here, it cannot stand anywhere.

Besides, November is just around the corner. Shumer is playing to his base at a time when the majority of the nation has moved away from that base. Thanks Chuck - grist for GOP mill only makes taking the Senate more likely. The GOP is no panacea but it will bring a lot of the Democrat program to a screeching halt.

Don't be afraid - be vigilant. That's what Scripture teaches, after all. And no nation-state - not even the US - is in control the way that God is. He's got this - His plans are not foiled by human stupidity. Whatever comes, He is still God. Job was right - though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.
                I'm not so certain we're the freest nation on earth any more

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But trumped by the idea that the government shouldn't be telling owners how to run their business.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I'm not so certain we're the freest nation on earth any more
                    Name one freer. Somalia?

Vatican City, perhaps?

But trumped by the idea that the government shouldn't be telling owners how to run their business.
                    Granted.

Comment

They want people to not hold them accountable for not integrating morality into corporate governance, now Schumer is universalizing that to every business. Apparently the only morality Schumer wants corporations to observe is precisely what the government mandates-- no more, no less.

That said, I'd be curious to know whether he'd say the same about a company that was trying to lessen its environmental impact because of some religious motivation.
                      Eh, I think Schumer does want to mandate corporate morality - just the liberal version thereof - which differs from the libertarian intent. And no, I don't think he'd mind at all if a company bought carbon credits to ease their environmental minds.

But I think you're essentially correct otherwise.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Eh, I think Schumer does want to mandate corporate morality - just the liberal version thereof - which differs from the libertarian intent. And no, I don't think he'd mind at all if a company bought carbon credits to ease their environmental minds.

But I think you're essentially correct otherwise.
                        The question is whether he'd notice the hypocrisy of supporting a legally for-profit corporation whose stated goal was not profit for its own sake but the protection of the environment but condemning another corporation that wants to provide a decent standard of living for its employees, but not buy them abortifacient drugs.

Too many people have been in Congress for too long. Or maybe it's that Congress has been Congress for too long.

Comment

The question is whether he'd notice the hypocrisy of supporting a legally for-profit corporation whose stated goal was not profit for its own sake but the protection of the environment but condemning another corporation that wants to provide a decent standard of living for its employees, but not buy them abortifacient drugs.

Too many people have been in Congress for too long. Or maybe it's that Congress has been Congress for too long.
                          In a word, no. His values are correct; your morals are not. He'd never see the hypocrisy - or the stupidity - in that position.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That's the big secret. I'm always angry.

But seriously, proper fixation is the only true substitute for anesthesia. Anger needs to be channeled into action much more than calmed. Folk activism satisfies me...for now.

Comment

Freedumb caused this problem in the first place. Most people who lose dominance do so kicking and screaming. Christian conservatives gave it away on a silver platter.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment