No announcement yet.

Exploratory Thread: Tokyo Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current character sheet, with two bios, depending on whether we go teenage or adult rangers:

Robert "Naps" Napoleon, AKA Green Ranger, AKA slothbutt, AKA the retirement claws

Key: tbd. Either specialty: trivia and banter or bond: side character
    Flaw: lazy. Tends to put forward minimal effort; he may give up on a task if the answer doesn't come to him quickly, or otherwise be slow to respond to a call to action.

Robert Napoleon is a [twentysomething slacker and former trivia game-show contestant employed by a local bar as a bartender and MC of their weekly trivia nights/ student at the local high school with a reputation for good brains but mediocre effort that results in middling grades]. He's never really felt pressure to succeed, partly because [the prize money he's saved up, in combination with his bartending and MCing income is enough to keep him in reasonable comfort/his parents have enough money that he'll never have to worry unless he really screws things up]. Taking on the role of a Sentai ranger will help to teach him the value of discipline and responsibility.

Stats:
    3/3/2/4/3
    Init: 7
    Res: 6
    Sta: 24

Edges:
    perk: wealth. He has plenty of green-- that is, liquid assets-- at his disposal
    knack: trivia. While he may not have a very systematic or detailed understanding of most topics, he has a head full of random facts that allow him to either bluff or flounder his way through a problem
    aaand hard to kill maybe? Seems useful.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

So it looks like we're going for the adult age group, and the setting will be Miami. I will endeavor to make as few Burn Notice references as possible... though I will certainly not be displeased if Bruce Campbell makes a cameo.

If my character does in fact end up working at a bar, that could easily be one of the game's settings.

I can narrow down the key to "specialty: trivia and banter," basically meaning I get some quantity of hero dice whenever I have a successful trivia-based insight into the Problem of the Week, or whenever I make a really bad joke related to the monster of the week. Apparently, having the trivia knack will also allow me to, in some circumstances, make a Brains roll with two extra dice to attempt to gain an insight instead of spending two karma points for my aspect power... which may in turn allow me to have more karma points later on to spend on new keys and edges in addition to giving the team hero dice as often as I succeed.

Anyway, that's me trying to figure out how to do some basic optimization.

Comment

You're gonna get more UNCLE referenced with that name...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          You're gonna get more UNCLE referenced with that name...
          You forget that our GM is even younger than I am and thus even less likely to be able to make or understand such a reference

that said, "napoleon" was just the first last name I thought of that began with "nap"-- it could as easily be Napiwocki.

Comment

How's this look?

**Character**
            Name: Irving Freily
            Looks: Average Build, Dark hair (Crew Cut), Blue Eyes, Blue Jeans, Blue Shirt
            Connected People: Military Superior

Concept: A young Army Private who's trying to find a way to stand out in a Military Family
            Aspect: Tribal Blue

Heroic Fault: Personality Flaw (Stick-up-his-rear no-nonsense mentality. Seriously, you could

build a reasonably-sized log cabin out of the thing...)
            Keys: Goal (Eke out his own military legacy)

**Attributes** (00/15 To Spend)
            Attack 3
            Defense 3
            Athletics 3
            Brains 3
            Spirit 3

**Derived Values**
            Initiative: +6 (Attack + Brains)
            Resistance: +9 (Defense + Spirit + Hard To Kill)
            Stamina: 27/27 ([Defense + Athletics + Spirit] x 3)

**Edges** (0/3 Personal, 0/5 Team)
            (P) Knack (Tactics)
            (P) Hard to Kill
            (P) Profession (Military)
            (T) Basic Attack ("Lion's Claws")
            (T) Special Attack ("Lion's Roar" Missile)
            (T) Vehicle Defender (Lion)
            (T) Group Asset: Finishing Attack
            (T) Group Asset: Robot
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Because the karma cost of increasing an attribute by one point is 4 times the new score (from 2 to 3 is 12 karma; from 4 to 5 is 20; a new edge always costs 8), it can be slightly more efficient to min-max early and round out your character later (which also means you can set out a character's weaknesses through the stats, then raise them when your character has in-story development in that area). You might drop a point or two in brains, defense, or spirit to increase athleticism or attack.

I might actually do even more min-maxing before the game begins.

Anyway, your character seems like he'll get along well with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                Because the karma cost of increasing an attribute by one point is 4 times the new score (from 2 to 3 is 12 karma; from 4 to 5 is 20; a new edge always costs 8), it can be slightly more efficient to min-max early and round out your character later (which also means you can set out a character's weaknesses through the stats, then raise them when your character has in-story development in that area). You might drop a point or two in brains, defense, or spirit to increase athleticism or attack.

I might actually do even more min-maxing before the game begins.

Anyway, your character seems like he'll get along well with mine.
                Yeah, this system is a lot like Cinematic Unisystem in that regard. Tweaked his stats a bit. Just because

**Attributes** (00/15 To Spend)
                Attack 4
                Defense 2
                Athletics 3
                Brains 3
                Spirit 3

**Derived Values**
                Initiative: +7 (Attack + Brains)
                Resistance: +8 (Defense + Spirit + Hard To Kill)
                Stamina: 24/24 ([Defense + Athletics + Spirit] x 3)
                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Um, wait, did I read the Derived Values thing wrong? Weren't there 8 extra points to be distributed? It looks like CV didn't.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, wait, did I read the Derived Values thing wrong? Weren't there 8 extra points to be distributed? It looks like CV didn't.
                    Yeah, I was confused by that part, too, which is why I didn't add them in.

Comment

Can I have a special power? Can I, huh, can I pluleeeeeze?!?!?!

:beg:

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        Yeah, I was confused by that part, too, which is why I didn't add them in.

I thought it was pretty straight forward so i did add them in. I can take them back out easily if we're not using them.

IC?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Can I have a special power? Can I, huh, can I pluleeeeeze?!?!?!

:beg:
                          You have the power to be extremely annoying and hurl cats with deadly accuracy.

Oh wait. You meant in the game.

Nevermind. Carry on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            You have the power to be extremely annoying and hurl cats with deadly accuracy.

Oh wait. You meant in the game.

Nevermind. Carry on.
                            We could use a Red Ranger. Seems to me someone watching this thread is probably interested...

Wanna play, Rogue?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I thought it was pretty straight forward so i did add them in. I can take them back out easily if we're not using them.

IC?
                                No, we're using them.
                                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                                -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X