Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro life vs. abolitionist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Pro life vs. abolitionist?

This is just a factual type question. I was browsing Facebook and came across a couple pages of people who considered themselves ex pro lifers and considered themselves "abolitionists" instead. They were absolutely blasting the pro life movement for being too moderate. Does anybody know what's going on here?
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This is just a factual type question. I was browsing Facebook and came across a couple pages of people who considered themselves ex pro lifers and considered themselves "abolitionists" instead. They were absolutely blasting the pro life movement for being too moderate. Does anybody know what's going on here?
    I hadn't heard of it. I'd be interested to learn more.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's helpful, thanks.

Infanticide was commonly practiced in the Roman Empire and we don't see Paul writing commanding churches to go do public protests about it (though we know the early Christians refused to participate in it from elsewhere), so I would agree that their picketing of churches seems out of place. Many churches do give material support to young mothers/pregnant women (I know of one Catholic church near here that has a permanent sign up advertising just that) so it's not like churches are doing nothing.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Also, I remember Glenn Beck strictly warned his listeners to stay away from churches that got involved with political justice issues, so this seems to be a strange double standard here. (Yes, I know, he's Mormon, but not my point.)

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I certainly agree with his sentiments. The problem is what do we really do to stop abortion. I have stood outside an abortion mill, but I do not do it regularly - or at all these days. I agree that protesting outside churches is foolish and likely fruitless.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I certainly agree with his sentiments. The problem is what do we really do to stop abortion. I have stood outside an abortion mill, but I do not do it regularly - or at all these days. I agree that protesting outside churches is foolish and likely fruitless.
    I really suspect it does more good to actually help provide physical need to people considering abortions than to mostly preach to the choir.

8. Amen Ana Dragule, Jedidiah, Chaotic Void amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Not heard of it but it's really no surprise - there's been more than a little dissension for a while now.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Not heard of it but it's really no surprise - there's been more than a little dissension for a while now.
    Paul was right about what happens when you spend so much energy tearing each other apart.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True, but there's also a fine balance between principle and pragmatism in politics - one seldom reached by any group.