Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pro life vs. abolitionist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro life vs. abolitionist?

This is just a factual type question. I was browsing Facebook and came across a couple pages of people who considered themselves ex pro lifers and considered themselves "abolitionists" instead. They were absolutely blasting the pro life movement for being too moderate. Does anybody know what's going on here?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This is just a factual type question. I was browsing Facebook and came across a couple pages of people who considered themselves ex pro lifers and considered themselves "abolitionists" instead. They were absolutely blasting the pro life movement for being too moderate. Does anybody know what's going on here?
    I hadn't heard of it. I'd be interested to learn more.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

http://abolishhumanabortion.com/

And http://www.patheos.com/blogs/borntor...uman-abortion/
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

That's helpful, thanks.

Infanticide was commonly practiced in the Roman Empire and we don't see Paul writing commanding churches to go do public protests about it (though we know the early Christians refused to participate in it from elsewhere), so I would agree that their picketing of churches seems out of place. Many churches do give material support to young mothers/pregnant women (I know of one Catholic church near here that has a permanent sign up advertising just that) so it's not like churches are doing nothing.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Also, I remember Glenn Beck strictly warned his listeners to stay away from churches that got involved with political justice issues, so this seems to be a strange double standard here. (Yes, I know, he's Mormon, but not my point.)

Comment

I certainly agree with his sentiments. The problem is what do we really do to stop abortion. I have stood outside an abortion mill, but I do not do it regularly - or at all these days. I agree that protesting outside churches is foolish and likely fruitless.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              I certainly agree with his sentiments. The problem is what do we really do to stop abortion. I have stood outside an abortion mill, but I do not do it regularly - or at all these days. I agree that protesting outside churches is foolish and likely fruitless.
              I really suspect it does more good to actually help provide physical need to people considering abortions than to mostly preach to the choir.

Comment

Not heard of it but it's really no surprise - there's been more than a little dissension for a while now.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Not heard of it but it's really no surprise - there's been more than a little dissension for a while now.
                  Paul was right about what happens when you spend so much energy tearing each other apart.

Comment

True, but there's also a fine balance between principle and pragmatism in politics - one seldom reached by any group.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      True, but there's also a fine balance between principle and pragmatism in politics - one seldom reached by any group.
                      Well, yeah, but disagreement over that should hardly justify attacking the other side.

Comment

Like most disputes, it started when one side felt abandoned and the other didn't listen.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I was reminded this of tonight when I became aware of a group called "Abolish Human Abortion" that is apparently praying imprecatory prayers against Christians whom they consider are not sufficiently strident in the pro-life movement. This includes targeting guys like James White and Scott Klusendorf (who I am no supporter of; he made some very nasty comments to my wife and I on Facebook for not wanting homosexuals to be killed).

Comment

I was reminded this of tonight when I became aware of a group called "Abolish Human Abortion" that is apparently praying imprecatory prayers against Christians whom they consider are not sufficiently strident in the pro-life movement. This includes targeting guys like James White and Scott Klusendorf (who I am no supporter of; he made some very nasty comments to my wife and I on Facebook for not wanting homosexuals to be killed).
                            This seems to me to be moving in the wrong direction altogether. Christians should not be calling down evil on Christians. I have long said I am not pro-life but anti-abortion. I certainly do not wish harm to pro-lifers.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X