Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Proverbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proverbs 8:12a

Re-posted to correct verse citation.

Text (BHS):
    אֲנִי־חָכְמָה שָׁכַנְתִּי עָרְמָה

Transliteration (Accordance):
    ʾnı̂-ḥoḵmāh šāḵantı̂ ʿormāh

Translation (Waltke):
    I, Wisdom,* dwell** with shrewdness;
    *Or “I am wisdom; I dwell,” a parallel with v. 14b. The use of ḥokmâ in v. 1 as a proper name to introduce Wisdom’s speech, however, suggests that she also uses it here as a proper name. The maqqeph, which links “I-Wisdom” as one word, helps to confirm this interpretation (cf. IBHS, p. 64, P. 4.2.1a),
    **The Targum and Syriac read “create” (< šikkentı̂ = “I establish”?). Fichtner (BHS), followed by Plöger (Sprüche, p. 85), reads šᵉkentı̂, feminine of šākēn (= “I am Wisdom. My neighbor is Shrewdness”). The sense is not much different from that of the MT, which has the support of the LXX.

Glossary & Analysis (meanings in this context):
    אֲנִי־חָכְמָה (ʾnı̂-ḥoḵmāh) : personal pronoun 1 c.s. אֲנִי (ʾnı̂) + noun חָכְמָה (ḥoḵmāh) : I, Wisdom.
    שָׁכַנְתִּי (šāḵantı̂) : Qal perfect 1 c.s. of שָׁכַן (šāḵan) : dwell.
    עָרְמָה (ʿormāh) : noun : [together with] prudence [TNIV].

Comment

• Proverbs 8:11

Waltke textual footnote:
      All manuscripts and versions add verse 11: “because wisdom is better than corals, and all the things one desires do not compare with her.” The structure of the poem suggests that verse 11 with its reference to “corals” is a gloss interpolated from 3:15, suggested to an early scribe by the reference to silver and gold in verse 10, matching 3:14. The substitution of “wisdom” for “she,” a necessary variation from 3:15, and its recasting as a unique “better than” proverb in her speech, validates excising the interpolation. In this comparative proverb only, Woman Wisdom speaks in the third, not the first, person, unlike the rest of her address (cf. P. Skehan, “Structures in Poems on Wisdom: Proverbs 8 and Sirach 24,” CBQ 41 [1979] 368; Van Leeuwen, Proverbs, p. 88; cf. Meinhold, Sprüche, 1:137).

Comment

• Proverbs 8:12b

Text (BHS):
        וְדַעַת מְזִמּוֹת אֶמְצָא

wᵉḏaʿaṯ mᵉzimmôṯ ʾemṣāʾ

Translation (Waltke):
        and knowledge and discretion I find.*
        *Fichtner (BHS) gratuitously emends dʿt … ʾmṣʾ to môdaʿat mᵉzimmôt ʾimmāṣēʾ (“I am found a relative of discretion”). He curiously compares the LXX: “I wisdom dwelt with counsel and knowledge, and I called upon understanding.” Adams (“Lexical Equivalence,” p. 124) notes that ten of 25 occurrences of ʾmṣʾ in Proverbs are aligned in the LXX with words that bear no semantic resemblance to it.

וְדַעַת (wᵉḏaʿaṯ) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + noun דַּעַת (daʿaṯ) : and knowledge.
        מְזִמּוֹת (mᵉzimmôṯ) : plural of מְזִמָּה (mᵉzimāh) : [and] discretion.
        אֶמְצָא (ʾemṣāʾ) : Qal imperfect 1 c.s. of מָצָא (māṣāʾ) : I find.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:13a

Text (BHS):
          יִרְאַת יְהוָה שְׂנֹאת רָע

yirʾaṯ YHWH śᵉnōʾṯ rāʿ

Translation (Waltke):
          The fear of the Lord is hating evil ― *
          *Though attested in all the ancient versions, v. 13 or v. 13a may be an early gloss. Verse 13 breaks the continuity between Wisdom’s connection with “discretion” (v. 12) and “counsel” (v. 14) and returns to the topic of twisted speech (cf. vv. 6–11), and its own topics, the fear of the LORD (v. 13a) and humble deportment (v. 13b), are unique in this chapter. The meter of v. 13a is atypical in this chapter: its last two words, “to hate evil,” repeat chiastically the last words of v. 13α,β, and it resembles Job 28:28; Prov. 3:7; 16:6. The NEB, but not the REB, deletes the verset. But since the three attendant virtues cited in v. 12 could also be vices, a safeguard against misunderstanding them is appropriate, and it is appropriate to enumerate antonyms to the virtues that accompany wisdom. Also, the symmetrical structure of vv. 12–31 with two stylistic and substantive halves indirectly argues for its inclusion. The chiasm involving “evil” and “hate” may attest to the verse’s unity.

יִרְאַת (yirʾaṯ) : construct of יִרְאָה (yirʾāh) : the fear of.
          יְהוָה (YHWH) : the Lord.
          שְׂנֹאת (śᵉnōʾṯ) : Qal infinitive construct of שָׂנֵא (śānēʾ) : [is] hating.
          רָע (rāʿ) : evil.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:13b

Text (BHS):
            גֵּאָה וְגָאוֹן וְדֶרֶךְ רָע

gēʾāh wᵉg̱āʾôn wᵉḏereḵ rāʿ

Translation (Waltke):
            pride and arrogance and an evil way*
            *Rāʿ is construed as a substantival adjective, not as a noun, to avoid a tautology with verset A and to conform with the other 30 occurrences of derek in construct with a personal substantive, never with an attributive genitive (e.g., 2:8; 3:17, 23; 4:19, 26).

גֵּאָה (gēʾāh) : pride.
            וְגָאוֹן (wᵉg̱āʾôn) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + noun גָּאוֹן (gāʾôn) : and arrogance.
            וְדֶרֶךְ רָע (wᵉḏereḵ rāʿ) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + noun דֶרֶךְ (ḏereḵ) + substantival adjective* רָע (rāʿ) : and an evil way.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:13c

Text (BHS):
              וּפִי תַהְפֻּכוֹת שָׂנֵאתִי

ûp̱ı̂ ṯahpuḵôṯ śānēʾṯı̂

Translation (Waltke):
              and a perverse mouth I hate.

וּפִי (ûp̱ı̂) : conj. וּ (ûı̂) + construct of פֶּה (p̱eh) : and a mouth of.
              תַהְפֻּכוֹת (ṯahpuḵôṯ) : plural of תַּהְפֻּכָה (tahpuḵāh) : perversity.
              שָׂנֵאתִי (śānēʾṯı̂) : Qal perfect 1 c.s. of שָׂנֵא (śānēʾ) : I hate.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:14a

Text (BHS):
                לִי־עֵצָה וְתוּשִׁיָּה

lı̂-ʿēṣāh wᵉṯûšı̂ā

Translation (TNIV):
                Counsel and sound judgment are mine

לִי (lı̂) : prep. לְ (lᵉ) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : to me/mine.
                עֵצָה (ʿēṣāh) : [are] counsel.
                וְתוּשִׁיָּה (wᵉṯûšı̂ā) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + noun תּוּשִׁיָּה (tûšı̂ā) : and sound judgment.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:14b

Text (BHS):
                  אֲנִי בִינָה לִי גְבוּרָה

ʾᵃnı̂ ḇı̂nāh lı̂ g̱ᵉḇûrāh

Translation (Walke):
                  I am insight, heroic strength is mine

אֲנִי (ʾᵃnı̂) : personal pronoun 1 c.s. : I [am].
                  בִינָה (ḇı̂nāh) : insight.
                  לִי (lı̂) : prep. לְ (lᵉ) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : to me/mine [is].
                  גְבוּרָה (g̱ᵉḇûrāh) : heroic strength.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:15a

Text (BHS):
                    בִּי מְלָכִים יִמְלֹכוּ

bı̂ mᵉlāḵı̂m yimlōḵû

Translation (TNIV):
                    By me kings reign

בִּי (bı̂) : prep. בְּ (bᵉ) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : by me.
                    מְלָכִים (mᵉlāḵı̂m) : plural of מֶלֶךְ (meleḵ) : kings.
                    יִמְלֹכוּ (yimlōḵû) : Qal imperfect 3 m.p. of מָלַךְ (mālaḵ) : reign.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:15b

Text (BHS):
                      וְרוֹזְנִים יְחֹקְקוּ צֶדֶק

wᵉrôzᵉnı̂m yᵉḥōqᵉqû ṣeḏeq

Translation (TNIV):
                      and rulers issue decrees that are just

וְרוֹזְנִים (wᵉrôzᵉnı̂m) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + Qal m.p. participle (as substantive) of רָזֹן (rāzōn) : and rulers.
                      יְחֹקְקוּ (yᵉḥōqᵉqû) : Po'el imperfect 3 m.p of חָקַק (ḥāqaq) : decree.
                      צֶדֶק (ṣeḏeq) : [what is] right/just

Comment

• Proverbs 8:16a

Text (BHS):
                        בִּי שָׂרִים יָשֹׂרוּ

bı̂ śārı̂m yāśōrû

Translation (TNIV):
                        by me princes govern

בִּי (bı̂) : prep. בְּ (bᵉ) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : by me.
                        שָׂרִים (śārı̂m) : plural of שַׂר (śar) : princes.
                        יָשֹׂרוּ (yāśōrû) : Qal perfect 3 m.p. of שָׂרַר (śārar) : govern.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:16b

Text (BHS):
                          וּנְדִיבִים כָּל־שֹׁפְטֵי צֶדֶק

ûnᵉḏı̂ḇı̂m kol-šōp̱ᵉṭê ṣeḏeq

Translation (Waltke):
                          and nobles ― all the judges of the earth.*
                          *Many MT manuscripts. read “all righteous judges” (šōpᵉṭê ṣedeq). Toy (Proverbs, pp. 167–68, 171, followed by Fichtner [BHS]), on the basis of the LXX (“through me nobles rule over the earth”), reconstructs v. 16 as nᵉdı̂bı̂m yišpᵉṭû ʾāreṣ because this reading achieves symmetry with vv.15a,b and 16a. His reconstruction, however, stumbles over kol. Adams (“Lexical Equivalence,” pp. 151–52) argues that the LXX is a free rendering precisely to achieve symmetry as evidenced by its addition of “through me” in place of kol. The Masoretic manuscripts and editions are fairly evenly divided between ʾereṣ (“earth”) and ṣedeq (= “righteous”). The former has the support of the LXX, and the latter of the other ancient versions. Šōpᵉṭê occurs almost always with ʾereṣ and never with ṣedeq (cf. Pss. 2:10; 148:11; Isa. 40:23). Delitzsch (Proverbs, p. 180, n. 1) argues that if the Masoretes who compiled the Masorah knew of it, they probably would have noted it in the Masorah by layit (“once”). Furthermore, it is more likely that ṣedeq came into the text by dittography from the last word of v. 15 than that the Masoretes simply replaced it with ʾereṣ. Delitzsch is mistaken, however, when he says that ṣedeq is not needed. Not all judges conform to wisdom’s ethical attributes. M. Dahood (Proverbs and Northwest Semitic Philology [Rome: Pontifical Biblical Institute, 1963], p. 15) defends ṣedeq by investing it with the meaning, “legitimate.” More probably, however, ethical righteousness is in view in this textual tradition (cf. 2 Chr. 19:6, 7). Though ṣedeq is not explicitly stated in v. 16, it should be assumed that ṣedeq in v. 15b also qualifies this verse.

וּנְדִיבִים (ûnᵉḏı̂ḇı̂m) : conj. וּ (û) + נָדִיב (nāḏı̂ḇ) : and nobles.
                          כָּל (kol) : construct of כֹּל (kōl) : all.
                          שֹׁפְטֵי (šōp̱ᵉṭê) : Qal participle plural construct m.p. of שָׁפַט (šāp̱aṭ) : judges.
                          צֶדֶק (ṣeḏeq) : righteous.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:17a

Text (BHS):
                            אֲנִי אֹהֲבֶיהָ [אֹהֲבַי] אֵהָב

ʾᵃnı̂ ʾōhᵃḇêhā [ʾōhᵃḇay] ʾêhāḇ

Translation (Waltke):
                            As for me, those who love me* I love.
                            * Kethib reads ʾōhᵃbêhā (“those who love her”), but Qere and ancient versions read ʾōhᵃbay (“those who love me”). Kayatz (Studien zu Proverbien 1–9, p. 102) urges that Kethib’s formulation preserves an Egyptian prototype that rigidly adhered to the third person but cites no texts.

אֲנִי (ʾᵃnı̂) : personal pronoun 1 c.s. : as for me/I.
                            אֹהֲבַי (ōhᵃbay) : those who love me.
                            אֵהָב (ʾêhāḇ) : Qal imperfect 1 c.s. of אָהֵב (ʾāhēḇ) : : I love.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:17b

Text (BHS):
                              וּמְשַׁחֲרַי יִמְצָאֻנְנִי

ûmᵉšaḥᵃray yimṣāʾunᵉnı̂

Translation (NRSV):
                              and those who seek me diligently find me.

וּמְשַׁחֲרַי (ûmᵉšaḥᵃray) : conj. וּ (û) + Piel participle m.p, of שָׁחַר (šāḥar) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : and those who seek me diligently.
                              יִמְצָאֻנְנִי (yimṣāʾunᵉnı̂) : Qal imperfect 3 m.p. of מָצָא (māṣāʾ) + 1 c.s. suffix : will find me.

Comment

• Proverbs 8:18a

Text (BHS):
                                עֹשֶׁר־וְכָבוֹד אִתִּי

ʿōšer-wᵉḵāḇôḏ ʾittı̂

Translation (NRSV):
                                Riches and honor are with me,

עֹשֶׁר (ʿōšer) : riches.
                                וְכָבוֹד (wᵉḵāḇôḏ) : conj. וְ (wᵉ) + noun כָבוֹד (ḵāḇōḏ) : and honor.
                                אִתִּי (ʾittı̂) : prep. אֵת (ʾēṯ) + pronominal 1 c.s. suffix : [are] with me.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X