Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

So, ABOUT that Cancer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, ABOUT that Cancer....

Recently, my wife and I were stunned to learn that she had cancer. I say "had", because the lump was removed from her breast, and it appears there is no longer any cancer in her body. I shared this here.

Now, I'm certainly not saying God "gave my wife cancer" to help me minister, but consider this.

When I shared this with my Church, they were understandably very supportive and encouraging. My wife is nowhere near as controversial or obnoxious as I am, and is very much loved by our people. (I'm tolerated quite well )

But SHORTLY after announcing this to the Church, and sharing with them our "journey", two other people in our congregation learned they ALSO have cancer.
    One is a man who has cancer in (or on?) his esophagus.
    Another is a lady - she and her husband just RECENTLY joined our Church - who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

I have dealt with MANY people over the years who have had cancer, and my oldest brother died of cancer when he was 27 years old, leaving a wife and two small children.

From the perspective of "my brother died of cancer", I have had a small window into the fear and trepidation that people go through when they learn they have "the Big C". But until it REALLY hits home -- like your wife standing at the back door, sobbing, "I have cancer" ---- that's a whole 'nuther dimension.

Mrs. CP is doing GREAT, and we praise the Lord for that.

But there's another dynamic going on as I minister to these two other people who have cancer. I have a whole new appreciation for how to empathize with them, and they seem to really "get it". There's a real bond between us where it's incredibly easy to talk about the challenges and the opportunities.

As the lady - Ramona - has said, "it's a journey, and we're so glad you're on it with us!"

So, no, I don't think God "gave my wife cancer", but the fact that we have been through this gives us a whole new dimension (I don't know how else to say it) in ministering to two very precious people who are now "on the journey".

So far -- the woman is reporting EXCELLENT news, that her tumor is SHRINKING, and she is going through some incredibly mild chemotherapy that seems to have very little adverse affect on her.
    The man has also undergone some VERY MILD forms of chemo, and after two weeks says, "I feel great, and the doc speaks very confidently that this is treatable".

Even my wife says, "it was worth it, just to be able to encourage others". She's quite a lady.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have been of the opinion for many years that God brings people into our lives for His own reasons. And so many times we are given trials and testings (and yes, God-given, I believe) so that we may minister to others who are going through what we have gone through.

In my own life, my brother took his own life at the age of 35, leaving behind a wife and 2 young children. I didn't know at that time that the Lord would use me to minister to others who have gone through the same thing, including my own son-in-law. Or my wonderful friend JardinPrayer, who I met here, but didn't really know until someone in her family faced the same thing. And that experience started HER on her Grief Ministry to others.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder in 2008 shortly after my Mother passed away.......from cancer. It was a difficult year, in more ways than one, and my sister died of cancer less than 2 years later. I have been taking a drug for that problem since my Mom died. And went through so much soul-searching and doubt about my faith, or "lack thereof", as the WoF movement would have one believe.

When my daughter was pregnant with our precious munchkin, she was horribly depressed and has since been diagnosed as bi-polar. She struggled with so much of what I went through regarding her faith, and I was able to tell her that sometimes our brains and hormones and chemical stuff are just not where they are supposed to be and has nothing to do with our faith.

I am not saying any of this to bring attention to what I have experienced in my life, but to simply point out how God uses us BECAUSE of what He has allowed into our lives.

And when you told us about the lady in your church who just found out she has breast cancer, CP, I TOLD you then that you would be able to minister wonderfully to her because of what you and Mrs. CP have just experienced.

Last edited by mossrose; 07-21-2014, 09:00 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I have been of the opinion for many years that God brings people into our lives for His own reasons. And so many times we are given trials and testings (and yes, God-given, I believe) so that we may minister to others who are going through what we have gone through.

In my own life, my brother took his own life at the age of 35, leaving behind a wife and 2 young children. I didn't know at that time that the Lord would use me to minister to others who have gone through the same thing, including my own son-in-law. Or my wonderful friend JardinPrayer, who I met here, but didn't really know until someone in her family faced the same thing. And that experience started HER on her Grief Ministry to others.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder in 2008 shortly after my Mother passed away.......from cancer. It was a difficult year, in more ways than one, and my sister died of cancer less than 2 years later. I have been taking a drug for that problem since my Mom died. And went through so much soul-searching and doubt about my faith, or "lack thereof", as the WoF movement would have one believe.

When my daughter was pregnant with our precious munchkin, she was horribly depressed and has since been diagnosed as bi-polar. She struggled with so much of what I went through regarding her faith, and I was able to tell her that sometimes our brains and hormones and chemical stuff are just not where they are supposed to be and has nothing to do with our faith.

I am not saying any of this to bring attention to what I have experienced in my life, but to simply point out how God uses us BECAUSE of what He has allowed into our lives.

And when you told us about the lady in your church who just found out she has breast cancer, CP, I TOLD you then that you would be able to minister wonderfully to her because of what you and Mrs. CP have just experienced.

Yeah!

I mean.. really... YEAH!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sometimes, too, those people are in our lives for only a short period of time, and our ministry to them is so specific that it is only through the Lord's hand that there would be any possibility of knowing them otherwise.

For all that is bad about the internet, I must say that without it, there are so many people on this site that would have never lifted up me and mine in times of need. Praise God for Tweb!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X