Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religion: Better For Moral Health Of Community?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
    Thanks Tass,

That's all I was trying to point out. There is not much difference between the patriarchal, Abrahamic religions if they are taken seriously - and especially; literally. I agree with you that it is very fortunate that modern Christians do not take the more violent parts of the Bible as compelling truth.

NORM

"No I don't agree with that interpretation and that isn't what I said, at all!" He says to Christians, yet he says to non Christians, "Yes, your view that the Bible is violent is right!"

Do you ever get tired of contradiction yourself and showing that you're a total moron with some built up hate and bitterness towards his fundamentalist past?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
      Wow you and tass just wow.
      That's exactly what Pix was pointing out, you don't know what you're talking about.
      I'd say you and tass are laymen when it comes to explaining the bible,but then I'd be a liar.
      He's very confused and just keeps showing his built up hate and bitterness towards his fundamentalist past is even greater than any of us can imagine.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        Are you referring to the "Christianity 201" section? Because this doesn't make any sense to me at all. AFAICT, you're posting in a forum about how you're not allowed to post in that forum....
        Hi Zymologist,

Non-theists are only allowed to post in Apologetics, and non-theology threads like Civics 101.

NORM
        When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
          there you go again Norm accusing someone dishonestly of doing what they aren't you are not a mind reader as you have shown. infact I"m not surprised you would be so wrong about lil pixie and others since you showed below how wrong you were about what to expect if you preached the Gospel when you thought you were a Christian.

looks like to me Norm you were in a church that didn't not take the bible seriously or they would have let you know that preaching the gospel would cause the world to hate you like they hated Jesus what made you think that you would not be hated for preaching the Gospel when Jesus said you would be hmm? you ignored or your church ignored the following verses or misunderstood what was clear in them.

and misunderstood this one

it did not mean not to expect others to not to attack you when preaching.

if you had of taken it seriously you would have continued no matter what your church leaders said if you felt that you were called to preach like that and if your church leaders had . you would have taken the example of the apostles in the book of ACTS seriously enough not to let those who can only harm you body to stop you from preaching the TRUTH if you ever knew it.

Feeling a little guilty now NORM with this dishonest passive aggressiveness of yours giving folks feelings they don't' have and haven't shown? After being called on your building up strawman to attack so you don't have to reply to the actual argument and faith of the person?

Let me clue you in NORM You are being answered on your false view that to take the bible seriously you need to read it in a wooden literal modern day English sense of meaning instead of how God meant you to read it using the brain he gave you to understand that in its True Context the language, times, and culture it was written. As well as how the author meant it to be taken and how the people the author was writing to would understand it. Something you purposely keep ignoring when others point it out.

Until you admit you that is what you are doing with your railing against those of us who are trying to show you sound doctrine and TRUTH dishonestly giving them feelings they don't have you will show yourself as a Troll who only wants to hear what tickles his ears.
          I was evangelized and converted by a church that practiced street evangelism as taught in Mark chapter 16. At the time, I assumed that the entire Bible was truth. I believed the words of II Timothy 3:16. In fact, when I brought up concerns about some of these things (like faith healing, speaking in tongues and enduring physical attacks like poison, I was told that I lacked faith). I didn't know enough at the time to distinguish between the stuff that was added and that which is exaggerated.

I know that you all know churches (these are not out of the mainline denominational churches - it was a Pentecostal church) like this. Stop pretending that you are surprised by this. Stop making me out to be an idiot. I really did believe these things. You of all people should be sympathetic to believing in things despite your mind telling you something is wrong. I was young and afraid of G-d. I really, really, really thought I was pleasing G-d.

You are all ignoring the sections of the Bible that tell you that you can cast out demons in Jesus' name or heal the sick and raise the dead. The Bible DOES teach that. Stop pretending that you don't know that.

I ceased taking the Bible seriously and approached it more as a book of moral teaching rather than Absolute Truth. Only then did I see the wisdom of approaching religion in a secular manner. Eventually, it became apparent that the religion is not even necessary. It's possible to live morally without the theology.

It was great freedom knowing that I didn't have to prove myself before G-d.

You know what, before this thread I really did think you were all Christians. I was just trying to make a point. But, now... now, maybe I don't think you are Christians according to the standard of John 13:35.

I suppose you interpret that to only apply to each other. It will be interesting to read how you spin this.

NORM
          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

John 13:35New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.’

In your mind I'm gonna guess this means Christians should be doormats based on your track record.
            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
              Hi Zymologist,

Non-theists are only allowed to post in Apologetics, and non-theology threads like Civics 101.

NORM
              100% false... non theist are allowed to post in the following forums

Newsdesk
              All Intervarsity Relations forums (which contains 4 forums)
              All Student Union forums (which contains 6 forums)
              One of the two dorm forums (depending on their sex)
              All Library forums (which contains 2 forums)
              All Chapel forums (which contains 3 forums)
              All Liberal Arts forums (which contains 4 forums)
              All Social Studies forums (which contains 4 forums)
              All Theistic Metaphysics forums (which contains 4 forums)
              3 of the 4 science forums
              All History Forums (which contains 2 forums)
              All Psychiatric Ward forums (which contains 3 forums)
              The Arena

Total forums you're allowed to post in:

Want to try this again Norm or do you just like whining for the sake of whining? I'm not allowed to post in a few forums here too, but I'm not the owner and if you don't like it... leave.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Not at all. Just civil.

NORM

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                  John 13:35New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.’

In your mind I'm gonna guess this means Christians should be doormats based on your track record.
                  Norm hasn't read the Bible very closely, I mean look at him pointing out where it says people healed the sick (which is true), but ignored parts like this:

When the members of the Sanhedrin heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul.

While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.
                  Acts 7:54-60, NIV

Doesn't look like to me that God has promised to always protect us from harm...
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    100% false... non theist are allowed to post in the following forums

Newsdesk
                    All Intervarsity Relations forums (which contains 4 forums)
                    All Student Union forums (which contains 6 forums)
                    One of the two dorm forums (depending on their sex)
                    All Library forums (which contains 2 forums)
                    All Chapel forums (which contains 3 forums)
                    All Liberal Arts forums (which contains 4 forums)
                    All Social Studies forums (which contains 4 forums)
                    All Theistic Metaphysics forums (which contains 4 forums)
                    3 of the 4 science forums
                    All History Forums (which contains 2 forums)
                    All Psychiatric Ward forums (which contains 3 forums)
                    The Arena

Total forums you're allowed to post in:

Want to try this again Norm or do you just like whining for the sake of whining? I'm not allowed to post in a few forums here too, but I'm not the owner and if you don't like it... leave.
                    Yes, all the areas that NO ONE posts in. That's like saying I am welcome in an Italian restaurant, but just don't order Lasagne, Tiramisu, Spumoni or anything with Italian sausage.

I just don't know what you guys are so afraid of.

NORM

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                      Not at all. Just civil.

NORM
                      Does that included saying that Christians don't take their faith seriously and should instead be terrorist plotting to overthrow their government? Amazing how 'being civil' only matters to your opposition, but you don't have to be civil yourself... I know you're ignoring me (well at least pretending to), but other people do read this thread and do need to see your hypocrisy exposed before all.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Norm hasn't read the Bible very closely, I mean look at him pointing out where it says people healed the sick (which is true), but ignored parts like this:

Doesn't look like to me that God has promised to always protect us from harm...
                        You can evade it all you like, but you still ignore the parts of the Bible you can't do. How many demons have you cast out today, LPOT? Besides, Stephen was a Martyr. It was supposed to happen as a sign to convert heathens. Keep reading. Remember: context?

Try again.

NORM

Comment

Yes, all the areas that NO ONE posts in. That's like saying I am welcome in an Italian restaurant, but just don't order Lasagne, Tiramisu, Spumoni or anything with Italian sausage.

I just don't know what you guys are so afraid of.

NORM
                          Hummm, perhaps because we want areas set up for different things for different people to argue about different things. Somebody wants to ask other Christians about something, is it fair to them to have non Christians making post on their question instead of letting other Christians address their question? Of course, you don't think that way and automatically see the worst in people who dare to disagree with you. A better way to see it is that each area of the forum is dedicated to different things. Civics is dedicated to issues dealing with recent news stories and issues of government, Christianity is for discussing issues with other Christians, Apologetics is for non Christian vs Christian issues, etc. AKA nothing to be 'afraid of', at all. It is a very common forum arrangement that you'll find on most forums across the web. Perhaps if you stopped letting your bitters towards Christians leak in, you'd see things in a more charitable light?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You can evade it all you like, but you still ignore the parts of the Bible you can't do. How many demons have you cast out today, LPOT? Besides, Stephen was a Martyr. It was supposed to happen as a sign to convert heathens. Keep reading. Remember: context?

Try again.

NORM
                            The same way not many are called to be "teachers" the same would go to "exorcists".
                            Still sticking to be literal to everything I see.
                            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

You can evade it all you like, but you still ignore the parts of the Bible you can't do.
                              I'm not at all, but it is your that is ignoring parts of the Bible and only wanting to hear what he wants to hear and ignoring the rest as I'll show below:

How many demons have you cast out today, LPOT?
                              Where does the Bible say that every last Christian on planet earth is going to be casting out demons? Funny, I thought the Bible talked about the body of Christ and each part of the body being important to the overall function. Did you ever think some Christians cast out demons and some Christians do other things? Did you actually READ the Bible and READ what it said or not?

Besides, Stephen was a Martyr. It was supposed to happen as a sign to convert heathens. Keep reading. Remember: context?
                              And yet... Stephen was not protected from harm, was he? Which puts a very huge damper on your argument, which you stated:

Originally posted by you
                              I finally saw the light when I got stabbed in a bar for proselytizing. I REALLY THOUGHT the Bible was true - that I would be protected from harm if I were preaching the Gospel of Christ. You know what the Church did? They told me I had to quit the street preaching for fear our insurance policy would be cancelled!!
                              Was Stephen protected from harm while preaching the Gospel of Christ? No, so what made you so special?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                you don't think that way and automatically see the worst in people who dare to disagree with you.
                                Funny, that's exactly what I think of you.

NORM

Comment