Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Five Israeli talking points, debunked".... Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    I already put my explanation forward. Re-read my earlier post, please.
    You made a bald assertion, do you know, for a fact, that Hamas would not be able to use Iron Dome for something else or not?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      You made a bald assertion, do you know, for a fact, that Hamas would not be able to use Iron Dome for something else or not?
      What do you mean by "something else"? Repurposing the rockets, as tabibito suggested, or in defending their own weapons and command centers, as you had earlier suggested?
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Is this horse not yet dead?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Is this horse not yet dead?
          http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Well, then.... carry on!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• 46 pages now? I can't keep up. Sorry if I missed your response.

*bailing*

Comment

What do you mean by "something else"? Repurposing the rockets, as tabibito suggested, or in defending their own weapons and command centers, as you had earlier suggested?
                1. Trying to use it for defense of their rocket sites.
                2. Trying to modify it to attack targets on the ground or in the air (such as an airliner)
                3. Selling/trading it off for more weapons to blow up more people with.

Either of thee options can happen. Hamas is not interested in peace and will only truly be happy when anybody who doesn't agree with their ideology is dead or none of them are left to carry it on.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  46 pages now? I can't keep up. Sorry if I missed your response.

*bailing*
                  46 pages? On tweb? C'mon, that's nothing.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    1. Trying to use it for defense of their rocket sites.
                    I've been operating under the impression (and anyone paying attention to my posts would know this) that Israel's bombardments are typically either artillery (in which case the shells would be to small and too many to be targeted) or aerial (in which case the jet carrying the bombs could easily out-run our out-maneuver rockets that were designed to intercept Hamas' unguided rockets.

Therefore, no. Impossible.

2. Trying to modify it to attack targets on the ground or in the air (such as an airliner)
                    On the ground? possibly. There are explosives in the rockets, after all. All you have to do to make the rockets dumber. In the air? Without radar capabilities (which would presumably require access to electricity, which Gaza currently (heh. electricity. currents. heh.) lacks), I rather doubt they could pull that off. They would probably also need technical capabilities-- software modification, etc-- that I rather doubt they have in any great supply. Highly improbable, if not impossible.

3. Selling/trading it off for more weapons to blow up more people with.
                    Difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult, given the blockades. Believe it or not, it's a lot harder for Hamas to get resources and supplies than it is for Israel.

Hamas is not interested in peace and will only truly be happy when anybody who doesn't agree with their ideology is dead or none of them are left to carry it on.
                    Which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We can agree about this without agreeing that they would be able to make good use of the Iron Dome system.

Comment

I've been operating under the impression (and anyone paying attention to my posts would know this) that Israel's bombardments are typically either artillery (in which case the shells would be to small and too many to be targeted) or aerial (in which case the jet carrying the bombs could easily out-run our out-maneuver rockets that were designed to intercept Hamas' unguided rockets.

Therefore, no. Impossible.
                      That one works.

On the ground? possibly. There are explosives in the rockets, after all. All you have to do to make the rockets dumber. In the air? Without radar capabilities (which would presumably require access to electricity, which Gaza currently (heh. electricity. currents. heh.) lacks), I rather doubt they could pull that off. They would probably also need technical capabilities-- software modification, etc-- that I rather doubt they have in any great supply. Highly improbable, if not impossible.
                      Underestimating the capacity of your enemy. Plenty of people have made that mistake and it ended up costing them big. I'm sure the Romans were saying the same thing about the Barbarians days before they invaded and sacked Rome. History teaches us, do not under estimate the capacity of your enemy because it can end really really bad for yourself. Just ask the Russians or more recently, the US military how adaptable the Afghan rebels can be.

Difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult, given the blockades. Believe it or not, it's a lot harder for Hamas to get resources and supplies than it is for Israel.
                      And yet, they are still able to sneak in weapons to attack Israel with, so obviously this is something they could end up doing.

Which is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We can agree about this without agreeing that they would be able to make good use of the Iron Dome system.
                      Good use is a very subjective system and handing over anything of value to an enemy that has made a decision that they will not stop until they kill everybody in your country is a very stupid idea. The UN needs to get their head out of the sand and start condemning those who launch these rockets with the specific goal to get Israel to fire back so they could make sure lots of people get killed in the process. Hamas can not be reasoned with and the sooner people learn this, the better.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Don't dare stand up for Israel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6lgjtfbsIs
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• When I first saw the TV pictures of the casualties at the Rafah UNRWA School, my first impression was that the lay of the victims looked staged. It turns out that that was indeed the case.

From POWERLINE

ETA: Check out the link to Thomas Wictor at the end of the first paragraph.
                          Last edited by John Reece; 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• A must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDW88CBo-8
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment