Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    That's the cussing...
    Yeah, I always saw that verse in reference to relaying inhumanely disgusting actions, or threats, like: "I'm going to cut off your head, and eat it, then boil your body in your own blood!!!" or something like that. I don't think it applies to crass humor, or cussing, or the such.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

In context, I think Ephesians 4:29 is probably referring to words spoken in unjustified anger, rather than cussing.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
        In context, I think Ephesians 4:29 is probably referring to words spoken in unjustified anger, rather than cussing.
        Yeah, that's what I meant.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Been catching up on the news out of Mars Hill. I think we're watching the slow motion collapse of the ministry there.

Feel bad for the people who just went there seeking a better relationship with God.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Been catching up on the news out of Mars Hill. I think we're watching the slow motion collapse of the ministry there.

Feel bad for the people who just went there seeking a better relationship with God.
            I think the issue is that with any church where there's so much of a cult of personality/ attention on one person, attention is directed away from God, where it should be.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I think the issue is that with any church where there's so much of a cult of personality/ attention on one person, attention is directed away from God, where it should be.
              I would like to say that the modern phase of the pastor-centric church model is coming to an end. Unfortunately men (and women) like to be the center of attention and its usually sadder and more tragic when its church leadership.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I would like to say that the modern phase of the pastor-centric church model is coming to an end. Unfortunately men (and women) like to be the center of attention and its usually sadder and more tragic when its church leadership.
                Amen, amen. I suspect the biblical model of leadership of elders was used by the apostles for just that reason.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                  "I'm going to cut off your head, and eat it, then boil your body in your own blood!!!"
                  What do you have against Scottish cuisine?

Comment

Here is an excellent article on Driscoll's abuse of church power: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/w...t?oid=20257920

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Here is an excellent article on Driscoll's abuse of church power: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/w...t?oid=20257920

Lord have mercy on us for the evil that is done in Your Name.

(We need a repent in sackcloth and ashes smiley.)
                      Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment