Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

The Weight Loss Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really trying to lose weight any more, but this seemed like a good thread to post this in. Did a 3.1-mile (5k) open-water swim race last Sunday. Supposed to be equivalent to a half-marathon. Not my longest distance swimming, but the first time I've done an open-water lake race. Next month, I'm doing an Olympic distance triathlon. I'll be riding my very heavy hybrid bike and walking the running part (foot surgery) so I'm obviously not focused on the time or competition aspect of this but it looks like fun.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

So, the pants I bought in late July for work fit then. I can slip them on and off without unfastening them now.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Today, one year after I declared war on my weight, I've lost 40 pounds.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Today, one year after I declared war on my weight, I've lost 40 pounds.
          Excellent. Are you planning on losing more or have you reached your goal?

Comment

I'm shooting for 120. I was 100 pounds in high school but I don't think that would be realistic. Maybe.

Comment

Congrats, DB!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

SO umm I was doing well I'd lost all but about 22 lbs of pregnancy weight. And then I got unexpectedly pregnant. So I'm gaining with my dr's blessing. Until May.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Still at 40 pounds but guess that's better than gaining.

Comment

I stopped losing myself.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I stopped losing myself.
                      You found yourself?

Comment

Well, I wouldn't go that far...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, I failed my bio-scan for my health insurance, even after dieting for 3 or 4 weeks before the bio. You have to pass 3 of the 5 criteria in order to avoid a $40 per paycheck surcharge. (I get paid every 2 weeks)

The 5 criteria are:

HDL cholesterol - has to be at least 40 mg/dL
                          Triglycerides - has to be less than 150 mg/dL
                          Glucose - has to be less than 100 mg/dL
                          Blood Pressure - has to be less than 130/85 mm/Hg
                          BMI or Waist - has to be below 30 or waist Circumference Less than 40 inches

So, my results:
                          HDL cholesterol = 30 (however my total Cholesterol was 164) (over 200 is considered high)
                          Triglycerides = 139
                          Glucose = 101
                          Blood pressure = 130/73
                          BMI/Waist = 32.9 / 39 inches

As you can see, I missed the Glucose by 2 points, blood pressure by 1 point. HDL was low but so is my LDL and Triglycerides are high normal. I decided to implement a diet and exercise program to get my weight down which hopefully would help with the BMI and Blood Pressure and probably HDL. In order to not incur the $40 paycheck penalty, my Health Insurance has some "Health Coaches" that you have to sign up with and tell them what your trying to do and report your progress toward your goals of a healthier life. I started just before the Bio-scan at 208 lbs. I started a low carb diet in April and lost about 8 pounds. After failing the bio I implemented an exercise program of 3 sets every morning of 15 pushups, 20 setups, curling a 20lb weight 10 times, and doing Lat lifts with the same weight. Today I am down to 188! 20 lbs!!! Waist is down to 37-1/2. Pants are starting to get too loose. My current goal is 170 lbs. I'll get a physical/checkup in a couple of weeks and have my bloodwork rechecked to see if I'm making any progress there. I feel much better as I've gotten healthier and slimmer...it's a great feeling!
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

HDL can be increased through aerobic exercise, but it takes a while, ie, maybe 6-12 months. I raised mine from 34 to 43

Comment

You get docked 80 dollars for missing the goals? OUCH.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                                HDL can be increased through aerobic exercise, but it takes a while, ie, maybe 6-12 months. I raised mine from 34 to 43
                                Good to know, thanks! I forgot to include I am walking about 1.5 miles , 5 days a week as fast as I can walk...currently about 15 min mile. Also, fish oil is also supposed to help with HDL.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X