Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

The Weight Loss Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    You get docked 80 dollars for missing the goals? OUCH.
    Yep! And if my wife had missed the goals it could be $160/month...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

How about swimming? Do you have access to a pool?
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        How about swimming? Do you have access to a pool?
        no.

Comment

Wow Sparko, 1000 to 1200 is pretty severe for a guy. Don't you require more calories than that?
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            Wow Sparko, 1000 to 1200 is pretty severe for a guy. Don't you require more calories than that?
            you would think. I don't get it myself. genetics?

I am guessing if the apocalypse comes, only me and the cockroaches will be able to survive in the nuclear winter. All I need is a couple of crackers and I will gain weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              no.
              Can you join the local Y? They usually have a pool for swimming and water aerobics classes, which are very low impact. It is also very easy to use other Y facilities when travelling or if you have a long commute between home and work.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                Can you join the local Y? They usually have a pool for swimming and water aerobics classes, which are very low impact. It is also very easy to use other Y facilities when travelling or if you have a long commute between home and work.
                nothing conveniently close to me that I would actually use it. I do walk a little and do some weight lifting with barbells, but, and I freely admit, I am not much for exercising. It is hard enough to motivate myself to do it at home, much less having to get in my car and drive half an hour to get to a Y or a gym and then make myself exercise there. That is why I am trying to do it with calories.

Comment

nothing conveniently close to me that I would actually use it. I do walk a little and do some weight lifting with barbells, but, and I freely admit, I am not much for exercising. It is hard enough to motivate myself to do it at home, much less having to get in my car and drive half an hour to get to a Y or a gym and then make myself exercise there. That is why I am trying to do it with calories.
                  Sparky, your Caloric intake is WAY to low. also with your metabolic issues you need a high lean protein low carb diet. And your taking steroids which means its more important to stay on a specific type of diet designed for diabetics. 140 is almost too low for you (I'm talking as a former anorexic so you might as well listen.) you need to eat 1800 calories a day. too little food is just as bad as too much but you must be willing to eat the right kinds of foods. Chicken Tuna, lean red meat, no deli meat, fibrous grains and vegetables and fruits should be the bulk of your diet, and low fat dairy. YOu may still gain, but you'll gain less. And walk 1-2 miles per day.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Sparky, your Caloric intake is WAY to low. also with your metabolic issues you need a high lean protein low carb diet. And your taking steroids which means its more important to stay on a specific type of diet designed for diabetics. 140 is almost too low for you (I'm talking as a former anorexic so you might as well listen.) you need to eat 1800 calories a day. too little food is just as bad as too much but you must be willing to eat the right kinds of foods. Chicken Tuna, lean red meat, no deli meat, fibrous grains and vegetables and fruits should be the bulk of your diet, and low fat dairy. YOu may still gain, but you'll gain less. And walk 1-2 miles per day.
                    I am not on steroids any more, haven't been for 4 months now.
                    And I am eating a good lean protein diet. I even keep track of all food with an app on my phone that tracks the nutrition of everthing so I know how much calories, sodium, protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, etc I am taking in, and I have apps that track my walking and exercise. I am the ultimate geek

I started out with a 2000 calorie diet. gained weight. dropped to a 1500 calorie diet, still gained weight (and fat/water, not muscle), so now I am down to 1200 calories. I seem to be at least steady now. I guess my body is just super efficient. Which would be good in prehistoric times or the zombie apocalypse, but not so good in today's society.

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast 280 calories - 2 Granola bars (protein)

Lunch: 200 calories
                    Progresso Soup - Light corn chowder

Dinner: 500 calories
                    Corn on the cob and Chicken salad (a salad with chicken breast slices)

Snacks (various times through the day)
                    2 lowfat yogurt cups, nuts, popcorn (air popped), bing cherries. 350 calories

Total: 1330 calories.

Comment

I cannot stand exercising on stationary exercise machines in a gym or at home for that matter. 'Bout the only thing I can do in a gym is swim and some weights, but the latter are pretty boring. I like to do things outdoors whenever possible, like biking to work or to a lake or park or to a friend's house. Rather than drive somewhere, I try to bike or walk whenever possible. I used to love long-distance running but can't do that anymore because of major foot/ankle surgery. Diet is especially important at the beginning of a weight loss regime, but some form of exercise or sport helps keep your metabolism up and it is the best predictor of long-term maintenance of weight loss.

Comment

Sparko, my wife says that immunosuppressants can cause weight gain. She says you should talk to your transplant dietitian (should have had one at the hospital).
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                          yeah I will see them next week. usually the ones that cause weight gain are steroids, but I am not on those any more (prednisone). Right now I am on something called Zortress and Prograf. The only side effect they have that I know of is causing my potassium to be high, so I have to take another pill to lower that, and that pill makes me retain sodium, which causes me to gain water weight. So I know about 10 pounds of extra weight is just water. I can take some water pills to help remove the excess water, but as soon as I stop it goes right back on. And I can't take the water pills all the time because they mess with my kidneys.

I think what I might need to do is weight lifting/training to build muscle mass, that would make my metabolism higher and help me burn calories even at rest. I just have to figure out how to motivate myself to get out of the house and to a gym since there are none around me.
                          There is a gym right next to that Orange Leaf* we visited after out fishing trips.

*Looks like it might be closing, last I heard they couldn't find the owner. The electric company even shut off their power. I hope the owner is okay.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X