Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Inerrancy an Essential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I know a few in the Geisler camp, maybe even Geisler himself, take the dragon literally.
    Reading this through Giesler's spectacles .... Whom did they steal if from?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      Actually, I figured you'd like that. Henry Morris didn't want to sign ICBI because he thought it was giving an exception to Genesis 1. When I read Genesis 1, I do see 24-hour days. That presents no problem.

I'm just not a YEC.
      Henry Morris, the father of the modern YEC movement, wanted to include a 144-hour creation as an essential component of a fundamentalist belief in inerrancy at the ICBI in Chicago -- but absolutely nobody else agreed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
        Yes, on what the topic has been exactly I forgot already.
        He raised the possibility that perhaps the raising of the saints in Matthew 27 was not intended to be literal.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          He raised the possibility that perhaps the raising of the saints in Matthew 27 was not intended to be literal.
          How did Mike explain that verse?

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
            How did Mike explain that verse?
            He suggested it could be apocalyptic in nature, like Revelation. But he didn't commit to that position; he just raised the possibility. It was almost like a side comment.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              He suggested it could be apocalyptic in nature, like Revelation. But he didn't commit to that position; he just raised the possibility. It was almost like a side comment.
              Ok.

Comment

A friend of mine:

"I am telling you that the "nt" is actually historically wrong. There is NO other record of Pilate giving the Jewish people a prisoner to be freed and in fact, he was recalled to Rome for his cruelty. The "nt" seems to have been written by people who didn't even understand religious Judaism very well and certainly not life in Jerusalem under Roman rule."
                I think in light of points such as these we need to abandon inerrancy. I don't think it does our cause any good if we try to defend such an historically inaccurate view of Pilate and Roman rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Encyclopaedia Britannica
                  The Samaritans reported him to Vitellius, legate of Syria, after he had attacked them on Mt. Gerizim (ad 36). He was then ordered back to Rome to stand trial for cruelty and oppression, particularly on the charge that he executed men without proper trial.
                  It was irregularities associated with a single campaign in AD36 that caused Pilate to be recalled - the charge of executing men without proper trial being related to that campaign. The small amount of detail available concerning Pilate does not create any conflict with the Biblical record. However, there are a lot of myths people need to avoid being misled by.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    It was irregularities associated with a single campaign in AD36 that caused Pilate to be recalled - the charge of executing men without proper trial being related to that campaign. The small amount of detail available concerning Pilate does not create any conflict with the Biblical record. However, there are a lot of myths people need to avoid being misled by.
                    Then how come he is portrayed as being so careful with the trial of Jesus? He goes from being a careful, fair minded man who only reluctantly gives into the crowd to being someone who doesn't care a wit if someone gets a fair trial? That's just not credible No, the gospel account is obviously an embellishment, which means we need to abandon inerrancy. There are also two other facts scholars have brought up.

1. The Jewish authorities could indeed execute people themselves at the (we see such an example with the stoning of Stephen later on) and so they wouldn't have needed Pilate. The gospel writers were clearly not knowlegable about First Century Judaism and Roman rule as my friend said.

2. There is not a single reference outside of the Bible to the practice of letting people choose a prisoner to release.

We need to abandon inerrancy and do the work of separating biblical fact from biblical fiction.

Comment

1. The Jewish authorities could indeed execute people themselves at the (we see such an example with the stoning of Stephen later on) and so they wouldn't have needed Pilate. The gospel writers were clearly not knowlegable about First Century Judaism and Roman rule as my friend said.
                      The Jews had their own laws by which the could enact a death penalty - "it is not lawful for us to put anyone to death" means what it says. Under Jewish law, no one could be put to death ... they couldn't get a verdict of guilty on any capital offence for anyone (on the basis of the kind of evidence presented). That is also attested by the Bible - the witnesses contradicted each other. They wanted him dead, they couldn't lawfully do it themselves, they took him to Rome on a charge of sedition against Rome.

2. There is not a single reference outside of the Bible to the practice of letting people choose a prisoner to release.
                      Which doesn't mean that no such practice existed. If there were a complete set of records available, as there should have been by Roman requirements, then it would be possible to make the claim. Until 1969, historians were absolutely certain that no such person as Pilate was in Judea. The records should have attested to his existence, and there were no such records. There are still virtually no records of Pilate available - most of them have vanished.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Also, it's quite likely Pilate's scenario rose up after the Sejanus conspiracy where Pilate's superior had been executed for treason. Pilate was on thin ice. Originally, he wanted to stay out of it and just pacify the Jews until he got told "If you release this man you are no friend of Caesar." Had word of that got back to Rome, he could have been undergoing the fate of Sejanus. He chose to give in.

Note also that there are accounts of prisoners being released for various reasons. The argument you have, UK, is basically however an argument from silence.

Comment

I agree; it is an argument from silence. The fact that no records have shown up documenting such a practice is not affirmative evidence that no such practice ever took place in at least one particular locale. Given how many times the gospel writers have been vindicated after earlier skepticism, this doesn't strike me as reason to abandon inerrancy.

(I don't personally hold to a Chicago-style inerrancy but I'm just saying this isn't a reason to reach such a conclusion.)

Comment