Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mormon Adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon Adoption

I have been researching "adoption" as part of a sermon on Romans 8, where it talks about "Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father".

I was curious what Mormons say about adoption, and was pretty surprised to find this:
    Source: Brigham Young University Studies, Spring 1974, p. 295

"No consensus exists with regard to the date when the first adoptions were performed…It is certainly possible, perhaps probable, that Joseph Smith did initiate certain trusted leaders into the adoptionary order as early as 1842."

© Copyright Original Source

It gets weirder...
    Source: History of Utah, p. 361

"The father may be either younger or older than the son, but in any case assumes the character of guardian, with full control of the labor and estate of the adopted son. Many young men give themselves over to the leaders as 'eternal sons,' in the hope of sharing the honor of their adopted parents."

Apparently, some of the later Mormons realized how nutty this was, and discontinued the "adoption" process, EVEN THOUGH, at one time, it was believed to be necessary for Salvation.

Source: The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, Bookcraft, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1946, pp. 154-157

"When I went before the Lord to know who I should be adopted to... the Spirit of God said to me, 'have you not a father, who begot you?' 'Yes, I have.' 'Then why not honor him?' 'Yes,' says I, 'that is right.' I was adopted to my father…I want every man who presides over a temple to see performed from this day henceforth and forever, unless the Lord Almighty commands otherwise, is, let every man be adopted to his father. When a man receives the endowments, adopt him to his father; not to Wilford Woodruff nor to any other man outside the lineage of his people…I have had friends adopted to me. We all have, more or less. But I have had peculiar feelings about it, especially lately. There are men in this congregation who wish to be adopted to me. I say to them to-day, if they can hear me, Go and be adopted to your fathers, and save your fathers…A man may say, 'I am an Apostle…and if I am adopted to my father, will it take any honor from me?' I would say not…You will lose nothing by honoring your fathers and redeeming your dead."

Apparently, a "great many persons" were "adopted" to different men in the temple at Nauvoo.

Who knew?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

wow control over their estate and everything? Sounds like slavery.

Comment

Hey Cow Poke, I just adopted you. You are now my son.

Please send me all of your money. And Bacon.

Thanks,
      Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Hey Cow Poke, I just adopted you. You are now my son.

Please send me all of your money. And Bacon.

Thanks,
        Dad.
        Dad,
        My Mercury Mountaineer needs a new transmission.
        I put it on your credit card.
        Thanks
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Dad,
          My Mercury Mountaineer needs a new transmission.
          I put it on your credit card.
          Thanks
          What???? But I don't have a credit card. Just that one I took from Rogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            What???? But I don't have a credit card. Just that one I took from Rogue.
            Since he's my brother, is he also your son?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Since he's my brother, is he also your son?
              I am my own grandpaw.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X