Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Baking Sweet Potatoe Fries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking Sweet Potatoe Fries

OK, so I like to bake french fries (Ore-Ida is my favorite).

I put a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, then set a cooling rack on top of that, and lay the french fries on the cooling rack. That way, they are slightly elevated, and my convection oven cooks them on all sides without having to turn them over mid-bake.

My wife likes sweet potato fries, so being the wonderful husband that I am, I loaded up half regular fries and half sweet potato fries.

WHO KNEW that sweet potato fries bake so much FASTER than regular ones, and turn into long skinny charred crinkle cut sticks.

Note to self..... start the regular fries, then half way through, add the sweet potato fries.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I did not know that...water content difference? I like those sweet tater fries as well!
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      I did not know that...water content difference? I like those sweet tater fries as well!
      I shall apply for a federal grant to study that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I shall apply for a federal grant to study that.
        Good IDEA!!!! It'll probably come with all the fries you can eat!!!
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Probably more likely sugar content, which carmelizes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

What Mossy said.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

try some cinnamon on the sweet potatoes yum :) We went to New Zealand this year and I dont think we had any normal potatoes the whole 2 weeks. Everything has sweet potato, mashed, steamed, fried, boiled LOL

Comment

A restaurant here in town supplies Marshmallow sauce with their sweet tater fries...

Comment

WHO KNEW that sweet potato fries bake so much FASTER than regular ones, and turn into long skinny charred crinkle cut sticks.
                  Amusingly enough, I discovered the same thing in pretty much the same way, similarly failing to impress my gal.

Good thing I've always got cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Amusingly enough, I discovered the same thing in pretty much the same way, similarly failing to impress my gal.

Good thing I've always got cookies.
                    Yes, but do you have marshmallow sauce?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Probably more likely sugar content, which carmelizes.

I am still waiting for my grant money. Helloooooooo!!!!!!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I make fries in the oven too. Less grease.

I will spray a little lowfat Pam on the aluminum foil and sprits the fries on top too. Helps give them the fried texture without actually being soaked in oil. And it helps the seasoning to stick to the fries after they are done, whether it be salt, or my favorite, creole seasoning!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I make fries in the oven too. Less grease.

I will spray a little lowfat Pam on the aluminum foil and sprits the fries on top too. Helps give them the fried texture without actually being soaked in oil. And it helps the seasoning to stick to the fries after they are done, whether it be salt, or my favorite, creole seasoning!
                          I put a cooling rack in the baking pan / cookie sheet, so hot air gets under, as well as around, the fries, and, yes.... a bit of a spritz on top as well. Most of the directions for frozen fries say to turn them over half way through when baking, but on the cooling rack that's not necessary. Much more even cooking.

cooling rack.jpg

Comment

I put a cooling rack in the baking pan / cookie sheet, so hot air gets under, as well as around, the fries, and, yes.... a bit of a spritz on top as well. Most of the directions for frozen fries say to turn them over half way through when baking, but on the cooling rack that's not necessary. Much more even cooking.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3533[/ATTACH]
                            Have you tried creole seasoning on your fries? Good on popcorn too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Have you tried creole seasoning on your fries? Good on popcorn too.

Does that taste like "Seasoned Fries/Curly Fries" you get at many restaurants or fast food places? Cuz, I don't like those usually.

Comment