Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Metalogical reasoning for the Divine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
    Hence I will not bother with the rest of your post.
    well, you seem smart, I would like to hear your thoughts from a logical perspective;

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...6479#post86479

Comment

Originally posted by selfreasoning4all View Post
      Therefore, everything is a generalization!
      the only thing that might contradict this is the empty set, or zero.

but we can understand the empty set as the composite of equalized existential negation or x - x = 0

Comment

the only thing that might contradict this is the empty set, or zero.

but we can understand the empty set as the composite of equalized existential negation or x - x = 0
        actually, it would be; {x ¬x} = {}

Comment

Generalizations posit the existence of a domain or set of elements, as well as one or more common characteristics shared by those elements.
          Generalisations are abstract concepts. They exist because we think they do (I would guess as part of our language ability).
          Therefore every composite is a generalization.
          Show step by step how you arrived at this conclusion from the premise.
          My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

actually, it would be; {x ¬x} = {}
            {x & ¬x} = {}

Comment

{x & ¬x} = {}
              |- ∃{};{∃x & ∃¬x} = {}

Comment

|- ∃{};{∃x & ∃¬x} = {}
                In English please write out how that is to be read. Thanks.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

which is a truth, which is absurd (reductio ad absurdum), therefore there is truth
                  Actually, 'there is NO TRUTH' is not a statement of truth, it is an presupposition for a meta logical argument, likewise 'there IS truth' would be a presupposition.

In line with this meta logical argument, I use the presupposition that there IS truth, but this truth could be natural (i.e. the ultimate Natural Law that determines the nature of our physical existence) or it could be a 'Source' some call God(s). The other assumption is that our physical existence is possibly eternal and infinite.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-30-2014, 06:58 AM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Actually, 'there is NO TRUTH' is not a statement of truth, it is an presupposition for a meta logical argument, likewise 'there IS truth' would be a presupposition.
                    The "argument" "there is NO TRUTH" is self defeating, an absurdity. Like saying there is no existence. Or "this sentence is not a sentence."
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      The "argument" "there is NO TRUTH" is self defeating, an absurdity. Like saying there is no existence. Or "this sentence is not a sentence."
                      It was never proposed as an argument in and of itself. It was proposed by normative as a presupposition for another argument.
                      I am citing the original use of the phrase in this thread, which has not been used in the context that it was a 'sentence.' In the context of how normative used it, it was simply a presupposition, there is NO truth, for a meta logical argument, as was the presupposition in the original thread argument, which there IS truth, or for your convenience: There is absolute Truth.

It is neither self defeating nor an absurdity in this context. For your convenience let's word it as a presupposition: There is no such thing as absolute truth. A presupposition can be expressed as a 'belief' and not claimed as a statement of fact nor truth.

It represents a presupposition that the nature of our existence, whether spiritual nor physical reducable to an absolute truth.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM.
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

It was never proposed as an argument in and of itself. It was proposed by normative as a presupposition for another argument.
                        I am citing the original use of the phrase in this thread, which has not been used in the context that it was a 'sentence.' In the context of how normative used it, it was simply a presupposition, there is NO truth, for a meta logical argument, as was the presupposition in the original thread argument, which there IS truth, or for your convenience: There is absolute Truth.

It is neither self defeating nor an absurdity in this context. For your convenience let's word it as a presupposition: There is no such thing as absolute truth. A presupposition can be expressed as a 'belief' and not claimed as a statement of fact nor truth.

It represents a presupposition that the nature of our existence, whether spiritual nor physical reducable to an absolute truth.
                        Yes. Nevertheless, there is absolute truth. And some presuppositions are true and others are false. All the while the person or persons holding them do so thinking them to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          Yes. Nevertheless, there is absolute truth.
                          This is as above a presupposition, and factually unknown. From the metalogical perspective, IF absolute truth exists, it could possibly be Divine (i.e. theism) or it could possibly be Natural Law from the perspective of philosophical naturalism.

And some presuppositions are true and others are false.
                          True

All the while the person or persons holding them do so thinking them to be true.
                          Thinking them true does not make it so.

Frank

Comment

This is as above a presupposition, and factually unknown. From the metalogical perspective, IF absolute truth exists, it could possibly be Divine (i.e. theism) or it could possibly be Natural Law from the perspective of philosophical naturalism.
                            Well, either the absolute truth of an argument is true or it is in its whole, false. Any argument against absolute truth is inherently false.

Thinking them true does not make it so.
                            Agreed.

Comment