Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Mission Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission Trip

My church is planning a trip to Romania this summer, 10 day long or so. My wife is contemplating going. Money won't be an issue, and I suspect me juggling the kids won't be an issue either; I'm quite sure the church knows to send lots of burly men too so I'm not particularly worried about safety. More like, is this the right thing for the wife to do (she's done a trip to Mexico in the past).

In some ways, I kinda agree with my wife, this would be a great opportunity for my daughter to go too, but I think she's too young (just turned 7). Might still open up my kids eyes to the suffering in the world, just to see the pictures afterwards.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

It's just me, but I always encourage a mission trip to inner city, or something more nearby. Nothing to do with the "carbon footprint" -- more to do with the fact that we have needs at home, too. But then, for me, a "mission trip to a foreign country" can simply involve a bus trip south, and cross the border into some of the Mexican border towns.

I've been on a number of mission trips, and I always come back to "how do we get the biggest bang for the buck" out of our mission dollars.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. Our church does stuff locally, in the surrounding towns. This opportunity is one that has been long in the making: one of the missionaries we support (the church that is) has been wanting us to go over and help out with the ministries they run. I forgot all of the bits that is planned, but I want to say it runs from teaching to building to whatever is needed.

http://pathwaytojoy.org/get-involved/mission-trips
      No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by supton View Post
        one of the missionaries we support (the church that is) has been wanting us to go over and help out with the ministries they run.
        And I think that's a GOOD thing... years ago, I had some people who wanted me to support some mission work in Haiti -- long before it was cool.

I agreed, if I could go check it out first. So I spent two weeks in Cap Haitien and the surrounding area, seeing how our missionaries there could stretch 137 cents out of each dollar. THAT was important to me -- so many "mission organizations" are so TOP HEAVY in administration, that very few "cents on the dollar" actually make it to the cause.

Further, it's much easier to support a foreign mission effort when you (or somebody you know) have/has actually BEEN there.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have a granddaughter on a mission trip with YWAM in Haiti.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment