View Poll Results: What do you think of the Vid?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extremely Poor

0 0%
  • Very Poor

0 0%
  • Poor

1 14.29%
  • Average

4 57.14%
  • Good

1 14.29%
  • Very Good

1 14.29%
  • Extremely Good

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Accuracy of The Crusades - Pilgrimage or Holy War?: Crash Course World History #15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Accuracy of The Crusades - Pilgrimage or Holy War?: Crash Course World History #15

Vid below.

What do you think?
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Some of it he got right. I don't really like soundbite history though. Especially talking about something as complicated as the crusades. I usually tell people to read Rodney Stark or Thomas F. Madden if they want to learn more about it. Thanks for sharing this though :).
    Last edited by Jesse; 08-09-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
    Vid below.

What do you think?
    He left out the part about the Muslims stealing half of Christendoms land from them through war, and that's one of the main reasons why the Crusades were called. Though, he got most of the other stuff right.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    Some of it he got right. I don't really like soundbite history though. Especially talking about something as complicated as the crusades. I usually tell people to read Rodney Stark or Thomas F. Madden if they want to learn more about it. Thanks for sharing this though :).
    This series often gets used in high school history classes and I guess that sort of thing is understandable in a course where you have to move through a massive amount of material in one short semester, but I agree, this particular subject deserves a lot more than a short video, with so many factors coming into play.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This series often gets used in high school history classes and I guess that sort of thing is understandable in a course where you have to move through a massive amount of material in one short semester, but I agree, this particular subject deserves a lot more than a short video, with so many factors coming into play.
    Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know that King :). I couldn't agree more with you.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)