Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Accuracy of The Crusades - Pilgrimage or Holy War?: Crash Course World History #15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy of The Crusades - Pilgrimage or Holy War?: Crash Course World History #15

Vid below.

What do you think?
    Extremely Poor
    0.00%
    Very Poor
    0.00%
    Poor
    14.29%
    Average
    57.14%
    Good
    14.29%
    Very Good
    14.29%
    Extremely Good
    0.00%
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Some of it he got right. I don't really like soundbite history though. Especially talking about something as complicated as the crusades. I usually tell people to read Rodney Stark or Thomas F. Madden if they want to learn more about it. Thanks for sharing this though :).
    Last edited by Jesse; 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      Vid below.

What do you think?
      He left out the part about the Muslims stealing half of Christendoms land from them through war, and that's one of the main reasons why the Crusades were called. Though, he got most of the other stuff right.
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        Some of it he got right. I don't really like soundbite history though. Especially talking about something as complicated as the crusades. I usually tell people to read Rodney Stark or Thomas F. Madden if they want to learn more about it. Thanks for sharing this though :).
        This series often gets used in high school history classes and I guess that sort of thing is understandable in a course where you have to move through a massive amount of material in one short semester, but I agree, this particular subject deserves a lot more than a short video, with so many factors coming into play.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          This series often gets used in high school history classes and I guess that sort of thing is understandable in a course where you have to move through a massive amount of material in one short semester, but I agree, this particular subject deserves a lot more than a short video, with so many factors coming into play.
          Oh I see. Thanks for letting me know that King :). I couldn't agree more with you.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X