Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Nobility Among Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ben, just letting you know I got my copy about a week ago (just a few days before my birthday which was nice). My beloved has snaffled it and put on her to read next list.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      Hey Ben, just letting you know I got my copy about a week ago (just a few days before my birthday which was nice). My beloved has snaffled it and put on her to read next list.
      Once I learn how to do this "reading" thing, I am planning on putting it to good use on this "book" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Once I learn how to do this "reading" thing, I am planning on putting it to good use on this "book" thing.
        I thought the only word you could read was grog. And you learnt that because you got tired of drinking the cook's vinegar.
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Good to hear, hope your birthday was a good one.
          --------------------------------------------------------

Nakonec pravda vitezi (In the end the truth wins)

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

Explore the Cinematic Superverse

A Hope That Burns

Comment

"Snaffled." That's a great word.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought the only word you could read was grog. And you learnt that because you got tired of drinking the cook's vinegar.
              He had CP teach him to spell "bacon" after I told it was T-O-F-U

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am starting out learning to read using this exciting novel about Dick and Jane. You would be amazed by the adventures they have with their dog Spot. Why in this one episode, Spot ran and I was right there with them screaming "Run Spot! Run!"

Unfortunately (Spoiler alert) Spot was not fast enough and zombie Jane caught up with him and ate his brains.

Comment

FYI - the global distribution deal on the book ends at the end of this month, so from the start of next month the paperback version will no longer be restocked in any bookshops around the world, but can still be ordered direct from the publisher via print-on-demand, or direct from me (e.g. if you live in the same country as me or want a signed copy).

Nobility Among Us and Beyond the Mist are now on sale worldwide, as is my first poetry collection, Selected Verse - Faith and Family and my second, Selected Verse - Heroes and Wonders

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Disregard the above, extending the deal was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, so it'll be available via bookshops around the world for another year.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Kindle version is only $2.99 now.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
                        Kindle version is only $2.99 now.
                        Hey Ben, this may be off-topic but I was wondering where you got the idea for the book from and how you planned the novel out.
                        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

Not at all, I actually wrote a fairly detailed post on this not so long ago (in the context of how to write long stories that are philosophically deep).
                          For me, the above set of questions is how I develop a story from the original idea, starting with a specific scene or choice, then branching out organically from there to its context, origin, wider setting, back stories of those involved, and the short and long-term impact.

As an example, the initial idea for Nobility Among Us came when I was lurking and following a small writer’s forum, and someone suggested a writing contest with the prompt ‘at a party’. Being someone who doesn’t like being conventional, I thought to myself, ‘How can I do something that meets that criteria without being the kind of thing that people expect?’ So I came up with a high society party comprised of nothing but nobles, talking to each other as they wait for the guests of honour to arrive. Just a single short paragraph.

Now I had this situation, who could the guests of honour be? Who could be more important than the cream of society? How about a group of lowborn girls? How could they be that important, what are they there for and how did this situation arise? What has driven the nobles to need to do this? So from there came the uprising and from there the causes of the uprising and the rest of the nobility’s strategy to pacify the people, developing the wider world of the setting.

Some further obvious questions arose- what happens at the party, what key decisions are made by who and what are the results of those events and decisions in the short and long term?

From there I got a basic plot outline, a list of key events, then that was fleshed out with intermediate events and processes that needed to occur for those key events to happen, which gave me some story arcs.

Then I started filling in supporting characters, throwaway characters, some of whom ended up being far too interesting and alive to be just that and grew into main characters, and new unplanned story arcs arose from that, some even ended up modifying the original key events or introducing new ones, all of those arcs interconnect and influence each other and the most important ones come together for the climax.
                          Does that answer your question?

A Hope That Burns

Comment

I've posted my favourite scene (at least the part up to my favourite line) from the book over at SuperversiveSF:

http://superversivesf.com/2015/02/10...ng-an-outcast/

A Hope That Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky View Post
                              Not at all, I actually wrote a fairly detailed post on this not so long ago (in the context of how to write long stories that are philosophically deep).

Does that answer your question?
                              A long time to respond, but yeah.
                              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I support the :
                              sigpic

Comment

The paperback version isn't available from as many bookstores as before any more, but can still be bought directly from the publisher or from me. The availability of the kindle ebook version hasn't changed, and you can still use 'look inside' here at amazon to see the prologue and first two and a half chapters, or borrow the whole book for free if you have amazon prime.
                                Last edited by Ben Zwycky; 10-14-2015, 06:00 AM.

A Hope That Burns

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X