Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pro Life Atheists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    It's important to differentiate between such methods correctly. For instance, all of the methods at issue in the Hobby Lobby case work by preventing ovulation.
    I don't think that's accurate, Jesse.

Source: SunTimes

Hobby Lobby provided coverage for 18 different methods of birth control. What both the Greens and the Hahns objected to were the regulations promulgated by the Department of Health and Human Services that would have required them, on pain of severe fines, to cover four more methods, including the morning after pill, that the litigants consider abortifacients.

© Copyright Original Source

So it's quite possible to think one is against "birth control that terminates the development of the fertilized egg" while actually being against birth control that doesn't.
    Sure, that's possible, but I don't think the Hobby Lobby case as it actual IS supports your argument.

I don't question their sincerity, just their science. Scored by intention, it's not self-contradictory. But in practice, the bottom line is that it's sure to increase the number of abortions.
    Source: USAToday

The Supreme Court decision in the Hobby Lobby case doesn't currently affect the birth control methods that are most commonly used. But Planned Parenthood Federation of America spokeswoman Justine Sessions says the decision "opens the door for other corporations to be able to opt out of providing any form of birth control."

It doesn't affect:

• Most birth control pills

• Condoms

• Sponges

• Sterilization

It does affect:

• Plan B "morning-after pill"

• Ella "morning-after pill"

• Hormonal and copper intrauterine devices (IUDs)

The companies in the case and their supporters object to IUDs and morning-after pills, saying they cause abortions by blocking a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. Groups that lobby for reproductive rights contend the drugs and devices prevent fertilization from occurring, which can lead to unwanted pregnancies and surgical abortions.

I had exactly one "abortion" thread on the pre-crash TWeb. I think I titled it "Two out of three ain't good," referring to the trinity "safe, legal, and rare." I'm wondering if you ever read it?

As ever, Jesse
    I don't recall it, Jesse, but the "rare" is a joke. Even the Democrats have given up on the "rare" claim.

Source: Bloomberg

Why has the party removed the sentence “Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare” from its platform? It was in the 2004 document but not in 2008’s or this year’s. Can’t Democrats just throw a crumb to the many millions who are pro-choice but not pro-abortion?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's important to differentiate between such methods correctly. For instance, all of the methods at issue in the Hobby Lobby case work by preventing ovulation.
      OK, after some more research on this, the fine line is not about preventing ovulation, but between whether the 4 contested methods work to...
      A) prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus
      2) prevent the egg from being fertilized by the sperm

Source: TheAtlantic/health

So, does an IUD kill the would-be fetus or simply prevent the egg and sperm from becoming a fetus? It depends on your definition of pregnancy. Most doctors agree that a pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg attaches to the uterus, but many people, including Hobby Lobby executives, think it happens when the egg becomes fertilized by the sperm. To them, if something interferes with a fertilized egg’s assemblé to the uterus, it’s an abortion.

ACOG representatives told me in an email that copper IUDs mostly work before implantation occurs—copper is toxic to sperm and kills it before it gets to the egg.

But the copper IUD can also be used as emergency contraception if it’s inserted up to five days after unprotected sex (and then simply left in to serve as longer-term birth control). And when used in that way, the copper-laden environment might also prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. It might. We just don’t know. The dance of the egg, the IUD, and its molecules changes on a case-by-case and whoopee-by-whoopee basis.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I don't think that's accurate, Jesse.

Source: SunTimes

Hobby Lobby provided coverage for 18 different methods of birth control. What both the Greens and the Hahns objected to were the regulations promulgated by the Department of Health and Human Services that would have required them, on pain of severe fines, to cover four more methods, including the morning after pill, that the litigants consider abortifacients.

Sure, that's possible, but I don't think the Hobby Lobby case as it actual IS supports your argument.
        OK, after some more research on this, the fine line is not about preventing ovulation, but between whether the 4 contested methods work to...
        A) prevent the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus
        2) prevent the egg from being fertilized by the sperm
        Thanks for looking deeper, CP. The morning after pill inspires a lot of misconceptions ... sorry about that!

Birth control pills and IUDs are designed to prevent eggs from being fertilized, either by delaying ovulation or by killing sperm, respectively. In fact, the morning after pill is just a birth control pill with a higher dosage. It's possible to use regular birth control pills as morning after pills, too.

Like IUDs, while it's possible they may also prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, there's no good evidence that this occurs, and if it occurs, it's not by design. Somewhere between a half and three-quarters of fertilized eggs fail to implant anyway, and we don't know why. That's a recipe for confounded studies. It's also why pregnancy according to the medical definition begins with implantation.

Source: USAToday

The Supreme Court decision in the Hobby Lobby case doesn't currently affect the birth control methods that are most commonly used. But Planned Parenthood Federation of America spokeswoman Justine Sessions says the decision "opens the door for other corporations to be able to opt out of providing any form of birth control."

It doesn't affect:

• Most birth control pills

• Condoms

• Sponges

• Sterilization

It does affect:

• Plan B "morning-after pill"

• Ella "morning-after pill"

• Hormonal and copper intrauterine devices (IUDs)

The companies in the case and their supporters object to IUDs and morning-after pills, saying they cause abortions by blocking a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. Groups that lobby for reproductive rights contend the drugs and devices prevent fertilization from occurring, which can lead to unwanted pregnancies and surgical abortions.

What they say isn't supported by science. If they want to engage in "alternative medicine" for themselves, hey, that's their right, but requiring it for their employees is a bridge too far for me. I'll stick with the FDA, which, though imperfect, doesn't decide medical issues by faith alone.

I don't recall it, Jesse, but the "rare" is a joke. Even the Democrats have given up on the "rare" claim.

Source: Bloomberg

Why has the party removed the sentence “Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare” from its platform? It was in the 2004 document but not in 2008’s or this year’s. Can’t Democrats just throw a crumb to the many millions who are pro-choice but not pro-abortion?

"Rare" was the pivot for that thread. It was a fairly decent discussion, but required a lot of effort to keep the derailers at bay ... (Thanks, Nick, no, really thanks for not trying to derail this ... I'm serious, thanks for not trying to derail ... please?) I was looking for practical methods for cutting the number of abortions in half.

I consider myself a displaced Republican. Whenever they stop their wars on science and arithmetic, I'll come back. I didn't quit; I was fired. It would be nice if they also put out a welcome mat for the 20 percent of us who are amusingly labeled "nones," but not necessary. When they stop denying evolution, global warming, and the fact that lowering taxes lowers revenue, I'll ride the elephant again. Until then, I'll hold my nose and vote for the donkey instead.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Thanks for looking deeper, CP.
          Not done yet. The problem is that things are stated as "facts" by people with obvious biases on both sides. And "most doctors agree" does not sway me. Still looking into this.

Comment

Now I don't consider this a hijacking, y'unnerstan'. It's more like creatively bumping the poll.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

I wasn't here before but I'm here now! Glad I'm not alone on this one.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I came across somebody online who turned out to be active in the secular pro-life movement in my state, and we got to talking. She invited me to check the movement out, and I asked whether there was any hostility to religion inherent in the movement. She assured me that, no, this wasn't the case. (This person wasn't a Christian, but actually has converted to Christianity within the last few weeks, interestingly.)

I've been keeping an eye. I liked "Secular pro-life" on Facebook and the arguments being posted are presented logically without a hint of distortion. Since I genuinely do not understand the viewpoint of professing Christianity from a pro-choice perspective, I think I could do more approaching it from a secular perspective than in the expressly religious manner others do. (I'm obviously not discounting these people; just that simultaneous differing approaches are good.)
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think going secular probably is a good approach. People can't throw religion in your face in my case I don't have one to throw. I believe you can prove abortion to be wrong using science.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I know they exist - I used to be one. Any hanging around here?
                        To be completely honest I do not claim to be "pro life." I am anti abortion. Baby killers have perverted the term "pro life" beyond what it means to those opposed to abortion.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X