Dealing with a KJV-Onlyist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No. Sometimes people claim KJV people say it as part of a strawman argument against them but I've never seen any evidence that the statement "if Paul used the KJV it's good enough for me" has ever been seriously used.
    Right. Elizabethan English was the original language spoken in the Garden of Eden (and in heaven) - but it had been lost after the flood when God confusicated the languages at Babel. and so Paul never knew it. It was only rediscovered around 400 years ago. This is why everyone speaks English, including aliens.

Comment

I had a long discussion with someone about her preference for KJV before I realized she thought the KJV was the only real translation, whereas the other versions were based on the KJV . She didn't believe me that NIV, ESV, etc. were also translations of the manuscripts until I cracked open my parallel Bible and read from the preface to each version and how the New Living Bible differed in stating it was a paraphrase. ...

Ugh. An hour or two wasted talking past each other...
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Yes, I spent a few years in a KJV only church before they kicked me out. I read everything I could from Peter Ruckman and Gail Riplinger and it was cultish. But they almost got me, I started to question the faith of all those who did not use the KJV only. Now the KJV is still my favorite translation, with the ESV running a close second.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I still remember the Bible in KJV. I suspect this goes for most of my generation....
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I love the richness and strength of the language of the KJV but I do not worship it like hte KJVonlyers do.

Comment

My best tactic against the KJVO is to become an ESVO, and use the same biblical arguments to claim that the ESV is the new inspired American version of the bible.

And then challenge them to tell me why I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                I still remember the Bible in KJV. I suspect this goes for most of my generation....
                Mossy remembers Moses reading the Ten Commandments at the foot of Sinai.

Comment

Here's a very provocative article by an online acquaintance of mine:

http://jtsblogspot.blogspot.com.au/2...ibute-kjv.html
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Minor quibble: Erasmus (compiler of the TR) had access to many more than 12 manuscripts. He only used 12, although the article is correct that none represented all of revelation. (A common problem with scrolls, the pages closest to the end were expose to damage because they were on the outside.)

But other than that, a good article.

Comment

Eh. Some of his arguments aren't that great. One of the things I like about the NKVJ is its footnotes on divergent texts - and I fail to see how it is difficult to understand. I see our friend Jimmy Snapp dropped by there to pound his drum on the long ending of Mark.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yup - the NKJV is the best "reading" version of the Bible that I have found to date. Sure it has deficiencies, but it beats most other translations hands down. Not that I would use it for study above high-school level though.
                        Last edited by tabibito; 08-19-2014, 11:59 AM.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Is it just me or do the "readability" arguments rely on the same algorithm that Microsoft Word used (or used to use) just by counting the bare number of syllables?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Eh. Some of his arguments aren't that great. One of the things I like about the NKVJ is its footnotes on divergent texts - and I fail to see how it is difficult to understand. I see our friend Jimmy Snapp dropped by there to pound his drum on the long ending of Mark.
                            Just focusing on the readability issue; those of us who are college educated probably won't struggle that badly with the NKJV, but I think a less educated audience would struggle with some of the more archaic terminology. I've noticed dollar stores around here sometimes sell KJV editions, and the presumably largely lower class audience is less likely to thrive with such reading.

Comment

Just focusing on the readability issue; those of us who are college educated probably won't struggle that badly with the NKJV, but I think a less educated audience would struggle with some of the more archaic terminology. I've noticed dollar stores around here sometimes sell KJV editions, and the presumably largely lower class audience is less likely to thrive with such reading.
                              I grew up with the KJV, so I don't have much of an issue with some of the more...eccentric archaic terminology ("pisseth against the wall", anyone?). However, I have heard from many other people that the archaic terminology is a hurdle.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Do KJV onlyists think that there were any inerrant translations of scripture before the KJV?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment