Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Dealing with a KJV-Onlyist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Just focusing on the readability issue; those of us who are college educated probably won't struggle that badly with the NKJV, but I think a less educated audience would struggle with some of the more archaic terminology. I've noticed dollar stores around here sometimes sell KJV editions, and the presumably largely lower class audience is less likely to thrive with such reading.
    Are you conflating the NKJV and KJV here? I don't recall running across much archaic terminology in the former.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Do KJV onlyists think that there were any inerrant translations of scripture before the KJV?
      This is a question that I've never seen much of a straight answer on, and I think it's a real weakness in their position. In my experience, they seem to treat it like a "gotcha" question and basically ignore it.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        This is a question that I've never seen much of a straight answer on, and I think it's a real weakness in their position. In my experience, they seem to treat it like a "gotcha" question and basically ignore it.
        Oh, but the KJV is the first translation. It involves time travel! In fact the original documents were written in Elizabethan english and magically translated into Greek and Hebrew. I am having too much fun with this.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Are you conflating the NKJV and KJV here? I don't recall running across much archaic terminology in the former.
          I'd say I more misused "archaic" when "uncommon" would have been more appropriate. I used to have an NKJV and I went back and looked at it and it wasn't quite as difficult as I remembered; it struck me as little different from my beloved ESV readability-wise. Tilting against the NKJV windmill in the name of readability doesn't really seem like a concern as opposed to the KJV. The Gideons hand out KJV Bibles on college campuses/etc. and I'd rather they choose something else as so many Bibles that are distributed to people who have little other access tend to be that. But I know it's probably for copyright reasons (to facilitate mass printings) so it's not so simple.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's even harder to discuss things rationally with a KJV-onlyist when you happen to be non-Christian (or, worse, an atheist, like myself).

It doesn't matter how much respect and knowledge one has in regards to the transmission of Biblical manuscripts; if you're not a believer, a KJV-onlyist will immediate reject you as the demon-spawned offspring of the Alexandrian heretics, Westcott and Hort. I once had a wonderfully friendly and irenic dialogue with a KJV-Onlyist on YouTube (author of "New Versions are Vatican Versions") which immediately degraded into a tirade of insult and attempted exorcism when I told him that I wasn't a believer.
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
            --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
              . . . and attempted exorcism when I told him that I wasn't a believer.
              Really? Off topic, but what procedure did he try, in detail? If that's not too much to ask for.
              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Apologies, I was being a tad facetious. He did not attempt a formal exorcism, but he did proclaim that I have a demon in me, and promised to pray for me on that account.
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  It's even harder to discuss things rationally with a KJV-onlyist when you happen to be non-Christian (or, worse, an atheist, like myself).

It doesn't matter how much respect and knowledge one has in regards to the transmission of Biblical manuscripts; if you're not a believer, a KJV-onlyist will immediate reject you as the demon-spawned offspring of the Alexandrian heretics, Westcott and Hort. I once had a wonderfully friendly and irenic dialogue with a KJV-Onlyist on YouTube (author of "New Versions are Vatican Versions") which immediately degraded into a tirade of insult and attempted exorcism when I told him that I wasn't a believer.
                  A lot of these folks are really superstitious about demons and the illuminati. Demons and occult images are on every street corner and TV channel. Their whole system is heavily routed in the idea that demonic forces are behind everything that doesn't support KJV onlism. Often times, these guys attach themselves to one leader who feeds them this garbage. Like Peter Ruckman, who I've heard being referred to as a "modern day apostle Paul".

Comment