Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, it sounds like you're suggesting we wait for ACTUAL FACTS!
    Where's the fun in that?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Where's the fun in that?
      Yeah, right? It gives you the liberty to smash windows, steal stuff from shop owners, and throw molotov cocktails at police! DURN the facts, full riot ahead!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But let not your hearts be troubled, the totally honest and credible unbiased Attorney General of the United States is taking charge!!!!

holder.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But I do have to say this... Obama's news conference several moments ago was MUCH more "balanced" and reserved, explaining that he doesn't want to be seen as having his thumb on either side of the scale (or something like that).... maybe he's learned something about his previous blunders of diving headlong into one side of issues like SquarePeg does.

Comment

Some of the reports say that this 6'4" 300lb man rushed the police car, and tried to slam the door on his legs and punched him. Do you know for a fact that this is NOT true?
            But that's precisely the thing! We DON'T know exactly what happened between Brown and the officer. So why are some of you acting as if the officer's account is definitely true? Look at Sparko's posts--he's evidently taking for granted that Brown was indeed rushing forward to attack the officer, when we're hardly in a position to know if that actually happened or not, yet he has the nerve to accuse me of making up my mind without having any more facts. The specific details involving the confrontation are murky at the moment, and of course we need further investigation to clear it up. But we DO already know that either way, an unarmed teenager--someone who had his entire life ahead of him--was shot repeatedly and killed. Regardless of what happened, that's ALWAYS senseless and tragic.

Unless, of course, you think it's perfectly sensible for an unarmed teenager to be left to die in the street about 35 feet away from the cruiser after being shot repeatedly.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              But that's precisely the thing! We DON'T know exactly what happened between Brown and the officer.
              SO WAIT for the FACTS!

Comment

Yeah, right? It gives you the liberty to smash windows, steal stuff from shop owners, and throw molotov cocktails at police! DURN the facts, full riot ahead!
                https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench/st...77829420302336

@AntonioFrench It's important for people to understand that the man is this photo was throwing it BACK at police who shot it at him.

Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

But that's precisely the thing! We DON'T know exactly what happened between Brown and the officer. So why are some of you acting as if the officer's account is definitely true? Look at Sparko's posts--he's evidently taking for granted that Brown was indeed rushing forward to attack the officer, when we're hardly in a position to know if that actually happened or not, yet he has the nerve to accuse me of making up my mind without having any more facts.
                  N0 -- he's considering that's actually a POSSIBILITY.

The specific details involving the confrontation are murky at the moment, and of course we need further investigation to clear it up. But we DO already know that either way, an unarmed teenager--someone who had his entire life ahead of him--was shot repeatedly and killed. Regardless of what happened, that's ALWAYS senseless and tragic.
                  People do stupid things.. I have a cousin who was racing a four-wheeler and hit a tree and got killed. That's senseless and tragic, but nobody rioted.

Unless, of course, you think it's perfectly sensible for an unarmed teenager to be left to die in the street about 35 feet away from the cruiser after being shot repeatedly.
                  What's REALLY senseless and tragic is the people who jump to conclusions and start pontificating as if they know exactly what happened.

Comment

@AntonioFrench It's important for people to understand that the man is this photo was throwing it BACK at police who shot it at him.

So, now you've gone to basing your "facts" on TWEETS!

Comment

I love one of the responses to this tweet....

"A normal response might be to remove oneself from area rather than throw it back at police..."

Did you even THINK about that, SP?

Comment

N0 -- he's considering that's actually a POSSIBILITY.
                        I do consider that the officer's account could possibly be true. Sparko, meanwhile, phrased his posts as if it was definitely true.

People do stupid things.. I have a cousin who was racing a four-wheeler and hit a tree and got killed. That's senseless and tragic, but nobody rioted.
                        What's your point? Remember, I've repeatedly stated that I disapprove of rioting.

What's REALLY senseless and tragic is the people who jump to conclusions and start pontificating as if they know exactly what happened.
                        What do you not understand? I'm not "jumping to conclusions and pontificating as if I know exactly what happened," because I don't know exactly what happened between Brown and the officer. I've repeatedly said this. However, we ALREADY KNOW that an unarmed teenager was shot repeatedly and killed. I'm not jumping to conclusions about this aspect, because that conclusion is ALREADY PROVEN. And I can certainly talk as if I know exactly what happened in regard to this aspect, because we ALREADY KNOW THAT HE WAS SHOT REPEATEDLY AND KILLED. And what happened is senseless and tragic REGARDLESS of whose account is true. It is NEVER sensible for an unarmed teenager to be shot repeatedly, killed, and left to die in the street, regardless of whether he tried to assault an officer or not.

Comment

What's your point? Remember, I've repeatedly stated that I disapprove of rioting.
                          Then why are you posting idiotic tweets trying to justify some moron in a battle with police?

Comment

Then why are you posting idiotic tweets trying to justify some moron in a battle with police?
                            I wasn't trying to justify it. Notice how I've REPEATEDLY STATED that I DON'T approve of the rioting response. I was simply pointing out what the St. Louis alderman reported about the situation.

Comment

Once everything calms down, I want to see where the community goes from here. I have heard that most of the violent people were from out of town; I want the community to be able to distance themselves from the violence that was not their doing. I want the police department to ask themselves why the department needs to be 95% white in a majority black community (a police force should represent its community). And I want people to find ways to express their feelings without rioting.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Once everything calms down, I want to see where the community goes from here. I have heard that most of the violent people were from out of town; I want the community to be able to distance themselves from the violence that was not their doing. I want the police department to ask themselves why the department needs to be 95% white in a majority black community (a police force should represent its community). And I want people to find ways to express their feelings without rioting.
                                Here's a problem with the makeup of the police department, KG -- there are minimum requirements for service, one of which, on most departments, is at least 2 years of college, and being able to pass the entrance exam. There needs to be a desire on the part of the applicant to be a police officer, he/she has to be free from criminal record, most departments require a drug screen, and the education. MOST black young men and women who so qualify can get jobs that pay more than an entry level police officer.

Comment