Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What was Judah like in Iron Age I and II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the Ketef Hinnom heirloom is not enough then to suggest that Israelite culture had some forms of literature both Ancient Near Eastern Literature and their own? I won't demand a Torah-based amount but surely an amount coming from J and E sources.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
      So the Ketef Hinnom heirloom is not enough then to suggest that Israelite culture had some forms of literature both Ancient Near Eastern Literature and their own? I won't demand a Torah-based amount but surely an amount coming from J and E sources.
      'Some forms of literature' is grasping at straws to justify forms of literature before ~600 BCE. No, not compared to the libraries of material found in neighboring cultures.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I don't know where you're getting this library of text from you'll need to provide me a link to this, cause from all the scraps of information I've picked up, we're pretty lucky to even have as much stuff from the ANE mostly recovered.

EDIT : Nevermind, found a library of ANE text

Comment

Originally posted by OldHat View Post
          I don't know where you're getting this library of text from you'll need to provide me a link to this, cause from all the scraps of information I've picked up, we're pretty lucky to even have as much stuff from the ANE mostly recovered.

EDIT : Nevermind, found a library of ANE text
          Where was a library of ANE text found dating before ~600 BCE????

Some of the ancient libraries, which contained some of the text and myths of the Old Testament were pre-Babylonian, Babylonian, Phoenician, Ugarite, Sumerian, and Canaanite.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

This seems like goalpost shifting going from "No known Hebrew text dated before ~600 BCE" to declaring "not much evidence at all when neighboring cultures had libraries. Where is the real evidence for anything of significance?"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              This seems like goalpost shifting going from "No known Hebrew text dated before ~600 BCE" to declaring "not much evidence at all when neighboring cultures had libraries. Where is the real evidence for anything of significance?"
              The statement "No known Hebrew text dated before ~600 BCE" refers to Biblical text like that found in other neighboring and older cultures. The claim is that significant portions of OT text were written by Hebrews prior to ~600 BCE. There is insufficient evidence for this claim.

Frank

Comment