Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A "junk DNA" discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    at least you didn't call my serious attempt a "wisecrack"

Look , I am Creationist, but Creationist who knows we are stuck in NATURAL world for now. and that means entropy

And if Yahweh is going to kick us out of paradise and and make us live here in natural world, I think least He can do is provide occasional failsafe mechanism here and there,
    like mechanism stress induced mutagenesis , like SOS response genes for example ,
    that way you get not just natural random mutations, but so many that in the mix, if extinction doesn't happen first, at least get survivor.

but my attempt at "junk"

I think junk DNA is like long repetitive repetitive repetitive ...stacks of building bricks on pallets...
    to natives coming out of jungle for first time and stumble on civilization, they see fortress built of bricks,
    on approach they get fired upon by arrows from where wall appeared to open.

They conclude fortress not natural, like a hill, but a functional object.

later they stumble upon field with stack after stack of bricks on pallets., which they recognize from the fortress.
    after fear at first, when no arrows fly out, they realize its just stack of bricks with no function.

they conclude, must just be junk, maybe used to be fortress , but now just useless piles.

I think scientists just recently stumble on DNA "civilization" and came to hasty conclusions at first.

now they are discovering epigenetics for example, and changes without out mutations, just activation of genes that were already on hand.
    So YHWH Elohim created "junk" with the paradisaical eviction notice?

Or was the junk already there in their "perfect" state?

You'll have to pardon me, but the evolutionary explanations make a LOT more sense.

So I guess human junk was created to be similar to other organisms' junk. YHWH Elohim must have been in a cheapskate scrounging mood at that time. Also HE must have a tad of the trickster in him. Logical, because WAS P-Oed at the time. HE'll show us!!!

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

Or was the junk already there in their "perfect" state?

You'll have to pardon me, but the evolutionary explanations make a LOT more sense.

So I guess human junk was created to be similar to other organisms' junk. YHWH Elohim must have been in a cheapskate scrounging mood at that time. Also HE must have a tad of the trickster in him. Logical, because WAS P-Oed at the time. HE'll show us!!!

K54
      Sorry. Is my mistake.
      where I type "but my attemp at "junk"" ...I should have said "ok--subject change"

Did not mean first part, which was reply to plank about beneficial mutations having to be junk, to be conflating with 2nd part of post
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post

K54
        "junk" is human description.

Just because some humans call it junk does not make it so.
        To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Method View Post
          Can you even discuss the topic? What is getting through is that the only way to get past the intellectual bankruptcy of your argument is to hide behind a lot of bluster. You claim to have evidence that my view of junk DNA is wrong, yet you can't seem to present it. In fact, you can't even discuss the basics of what I have presented.
          I see that NOTHING that I had said got through. Hardly surprising.

You speak of "your view of junk DNA" when the simple fact is that you're regurgitating material that is decades old and has been thoroughly and often refuted. I even provided you with an excellent source to get much of this material (with hundreds of references - papers, articles, books, etc.).

After all that, you claim that I haven't given you anything.
          You need to brush-up on the concept of false reporting.

Now you'll call this post "bluster" so as to pull your butt out of the fire and feel "justified".

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post

You speak of "your view of junk DNA" when the simple fact is that you're regurgitating material that is decades old and has been thoroughly and often refuted. I even provided you with an excellent source to get much of this material (with hundreds of references - papers, articles, books, etc.).

You need to brush-up on the concept of false reporting.

Now you'll call this post "bluster" so as to pull your butt out of the fire and feel "justified".

Jorge
            The beauty of the Jorgian YEC ideology is that ANYTHING fits into it WITHOUT worrying about lack of consilience.

That's why Jorgian YECs can just fling poop and insults. They don't HAVE to explain.

I wish REAL science were that simple.

K54

P.S. Ohh, the "regurgitating material that's decades old..." thingy is just RICH!

Last edited by klaus54; 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM. Reason: p.s.

Comment

"junk" is human description.

Just because some humans call it junk does not make it so.
              It doesn't matter what one CALLS it.

One must still EXPLAIN it, if one cares at all about SCIENCE.

(Paraphase) "It must done-diddly-do have a function 'cuz Elohim made it dat way" ain't a SCIENTIFIC explanation.

K54

Comment

So did Jorge ever figures out what was wrong with my post?

Comment

Originally posted by sfs1 View Post
                  So did Jorge ever figures out what was wrong with my post?
                  I have a far more perplexing question: how in heaven's name were you able
                  to make it through college without being able to read for comprehension?

See post # 54, this thread. Was there a syllable that you need some help with?

Jorge

Comment

You speak of "your view of junk DNA" when the simple fact is that you're regurgitating material that is decades old and has been thoroughly and often refuted.
                    Please look at the date on the paper that I have already presented.

http://gbe.oxfordjournals.org/conten.../20/gbe.evt028

It's from 2013, chief.

Notice that it is also from a peer reviewed journal and not creationist propoganda shinola like the stuff you referenced for me. Jonathan Wells has zero publications in the field of genetics. He lies. A lot. Please learn what a real scientific reference is.

A flat reference to creationist lies with no substance is nothing. Try again. Try real scientific papers found in real peer reviewed journals.

No more bluster. Show us some science.

Comment

Look , I am Creationist, but Creationist who knows we are stuck in NATURAL world for now. and that means entropy
                      From my experience, creationists have a really poor grasp on entropy.

but my attempt at "junk"

I think junk DNA is like long repetitive repetitive repetitive ...stacks of building bricks on pallets...
                      to natives coming out of jungle for first time and stumble on civilization, they see fortress built of bricks,
                      on approach they get fired upon by arrows from where wall appeared to open.
                      How does this relate to junk DNA at all.

If anything, junk DNA is analagous to the dumpsters full of garbage left on a construction site after the building is done.

I think scientists just recently stumble on DNA "civilization" and came to hasty conclusions at first.
                      I think you are ignoring the evidence that they are looking at.

What we see is that about 90% of the human genome is accumulating mutations at a rate consistent with neutral drift. If you want to claim that this 90% has function then you need to explain why we see no evidence of negative selection in those stretches of DNA. Either no mutation can change or do away with the important function that junk DNA has, or no mutations can occur in these stretches. Which is it?

Comment

I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, Edited by a Moderator

THAT WAS THE WRONG POST!

I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Roy
                        Last edited by rogue06; 08-29-2014, 06:29 PM.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Just gifted, I guess.

Never change, Jorge -- you're a national treasure. Also, what Roy said.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Edited by a Moderator
                            Inconceivable.
                            Last edited by Roy; 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by sfs1 View Post
                              Just gifted, I guess.
                              That's a 'great' gift you have there, kiddo ... cherish it!

Never change, Jorge -- you're a national treasure. Also, what Roy said.
                              In some areas I definitely need to 'change'.
                              In others, heaven forbid that I should ever change.
                              What Roy said was Moderated.
                              That you agree with Roy just goes to shows ...

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Method View Post
                                From my experience, creationists have a really poor grasp on entropy.
                                Let me blindly go out on a limb here ... Materialists/Atheists/Humanists and
                                Theistic Evolutionists DO have a good grasp on "entropy", isn't that right?

Hey, there's this bridge in New York that may interest you.

Jorge

Comment