Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Tracfone's Interesting Advertising Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracfone's Interesting Advertising Theory

I sent a email protesting their sponsorship of a particular show. This was the response:

Dear Valued Customer,

TracFone Wireless Inc. does not condone or support the content of any
    particular show or network. As a national advertiser we have agreements
    with several networks and as such, our ads run in a variety of programs.
    Please reach out to Cartoon Network directly with any concerns you may
    have regarding programming and content on their network.

Sincerely,

TracFone Wireless

Now, I can veto ads on my website and set perimeters of what kinds of ads I permit - that's just sensible business since you don't want ads running people off. If I can do that with my rinky dink website, is this really an excuse from a major corporation regarding its advertising?

Oh, and Tracfone, if you're paying for it, you most certainly ARE supporting it...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Kind of a plausible deniability policy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Its like a catch 22. They get money from a certain company for selling the rights to the logo as an advertisement, and the company or network uses the logo freely. However the company receiving the money isn't responsible for the content of each individual show. it does oddly enough work that way. Its kind of like, if I work at a vitamin store that sells pennyroyale tinctures among everything else it sells The shop pays me and I sell pennyroyale to whomever wishes to buy it. I'm not responsible for the pennyroyale or how a person uses it. I just have to sell it. (Pennyroyale is a wierd herb and has some very objectionable uses)
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Off topic, but what advertising agency are you working with?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Are they implying that they have no control over what shows are on when their commercials run? That they let Cartoon network decide?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Now, I can veto ads on my website and set perimeters of what kinds of ads I permit - that's just sensible business since you don't want ads running people off. If I can do that with my rinky dink website, is this really an excuse from a major corporation regarding its advertising?

Oh, and Tracfone, if you're paying for it, you most certainly ARE supporting it...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Kind of a plausible deniability policy.
            The cheapest ad rates are for rotations from a network, so there's a healthy grain of truth in their response. If you're buying a rotation, you don't get to pick shows for your ads. I've been out of the business since 2002, so I couldn't say if Tracfone is a cheap advertiser. But if a show is toxic enough, even if they're buying rotations, they'll still call their account executives and demand to be pulled from that show. It used to happen with Jerry Springer all the time, even though his ratings were sky high.

I'm guessing the show isn't toxic enough for them. What show bugged you enough to write them, Teal?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Are they implying that they have no control over what shows are on when their commercials run? That they let Cartoon network decide?
              That's the way rotations work. The network plugs an advertiser buying rotations into whatever slots are most convenient for the network, which lets the network fill low-demand inventory, which is why rotations go for lower rates.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                The cheapest ad rates are for rotations from a network, so there's a healthy grain of truth in their response. If you're buying a rotation, you don't get to pick shows for your ads. I've been out of the business since 2002, so I couldn't say if Tracfone is a cheap advertiser. But if a show is toxic enough, even if they're buying rotations, they'll still call their account executives and demand to be pulled from that show. It used to happen with Jerry Springer all the time, even though his ratings were sky high.

I'm guessing the show isn't toxic enough for them. What show bugged you enough to write them, Teal?
                That was my point - only a fool company would give it's sponsorship decisions to another with no recourse if they did something stupid. Tracfone hasn't gotten enough complaints - fine, but don't lie to me and say 'well, it's not our call at all'.

I'm not giving that thing any pixels - if you are really curious (and seriously, you can't guess?) pm me.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, I haven't owned a television in years now, so I'm not up on the shows. I did check their schedule, but the only shows I've even heard about are South Park, the Daily Show, and Colbert and I've never watched a full episode of any of them, just clips on the 'net.

So no, I can't guess.

Comment

Um, those are Comedy Central - I don't watch it at all.

PM on the way.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That was my point - only a fool company would give it's sponsorship decisions to another with no recourse if they did something stupid. Tracfone hasn't gotten enough complaints - fine, but don't lie to me and say 'well, it's not our call at all'.

I'm not giving that thing any pixels - if you are really curious (and seriously, you can't guess?) pm me.
                      Black Jesus?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'll take that as a

Comment

Dang, they named the network in their response! I read "Cartoon" and thought about the only network I knew that had cartoon shows. What next, a network just for shopping?

Comment

I don't know how to break this to you but there's this thing called QVC...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X