Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Your Response to the Beheading of the Journalist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Response to the Beheading of the Journalist....

What would you advise the president should do?
    What would YOU do if you were president?

I mean, seriously, ISIS has said if the bombing doesn't stop, they'll behead another.

Source: (CNN)

-- A video released by ISIS shows the beheading of U.S. journalist James Foley and threatens the life of another American if President Barack Obama doesn't end military operations in Iraq.

In the video posted Tuesday on YouTube, Foley is seen kneeling next to a man dressed in black. Foley reads a message, presumably scripted by his captors, that his "real killer'' is America.

"I wish I had more time. I wish I could have the hope for freedom to see my family once again," he can be heard saying in the video.

He is then shown being beheaded.

© Copyright Original Source

Source
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Cowards have to cover their faces... and these are the ultimate cowards.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

ISIS has said if the bombing doesn't stop, they'll behead another.
      Up the bombing level to 'nuclear,' of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        Up the bombing level to 'nuclear,' of course.
        Yes, we need to escalate, perhaps not nuclear though.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Yes, we need to escalate, perhaps not nuclear though.
          No, nuclear is what elevates this conflict from "low-rent thugs playing on the squeamishness of the greater power and being just violent enough to gain the support of the natives" to "oh crap, somebody on the other side is actually fighting back with all the force he possesses!"

And when you do, definitely don't hesitate to pile on. Hiroshima is a demonstration of what will happen. Nagasaki shows that you won't stop at demonstrations.

Comment

Kids, snipping at each other while the adults are discussing nuclear deterrence went out of style sometime around 1965.

Comment

Could please move the sidebar derail to the rubber room?

Please?

Thanks
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was hopeful as I listened to Obama's press conference a few minutes ago... it SOUNDED like he was spooling up to some really "get tough" plans, but it was just a bunch of rhetoric without even a red line.

What puzzles me is that HIS presser interrupted the presser that the family of the slain newsman was having.
                I could be wrong, maybe I was listening to a replay of the family's presser, but it seemed it was interrupted by Obama's own presser.
                Obama claimed to have talked to the family earlier today, so how could they NOT coordinate this better?

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

All off topic content was moved to the padded room

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Cowards have to cover their faces... and these are the ultimate cowards.
                    I think we should make a back room deal with the Israelis to seek out anybody from ISIS who shows up in a video, and assassinate them.

Comment

From the Presidential perspective, I suppose the question is, how many Iraqi civilians-- Christian, Yazidi, etc-- are each American prisoner worth?

Or how many American lives is it worth to make sure that these thugs don't get the chance to build their Islamist utopia?
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        From the Presidential perspective, I suppose the question is, how many Iraqi civilians-- Christian, Yazidi, etc-- are each American prisoner worth?

Or how many American lives is it worth to make sure that these thugs don't get the chance to build their Islamist utopia?
                        He has boxed himself into a corner with his constant "no boots on the ground" mantra.... he is telling the enemy exactly what he will NOT do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          He has boxed himself into a corner with his constant "no boots on the ground" mantra.... he is telling the enemy exactly what he will NOT do.
                          I don't mean with respect to deploying soldiers, I mean how many American prisoners will we allow them to behead, if it means keeping them from killing thousands of innocent civilians?

ISIS is demanding that we stop our bombings. I think that's the more immediate question, and given that they're willing to play THIS card in response to bombings, I think air power is enough to threaten them at the moment.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

America is the modern day Roman empire - the course will be much the same as theirs if ISIS makes good on its threat ... maybe even if it doesn't.
                            Last edited by tabibito; 08-20-2014, 01:13 PM.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              I don't mean with respect to deploying soldiers, I mean how many American prisoners will we allow them to behead, if it means keeping them from killing thousands of innocent civilians?
                              Yeah, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.... was just adding a comment.

ISIS is demanding that we stop our bombings. I think that's the more immediate question, and given that they're willing to play THIS card in response to bombings, I think air power is enough to threaten them at the moment.
                              I, along with probably the vast majority of military experts, tend to disagree. HOWEVER, it's a good start, so maybe "at the moment".

Comment