Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Theory of Evolution a religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phank View Post
    As far as I can tell, Jorge considers accepting anything incompatible with his delusions as being a religion. Apparently overwhelming bodies of evidence don't matter when you have "well-thought-out knowledge."
    Wow, Jorge says that evolutionary theory is not a religion, and yet you still blast him as if he said it was. I don't think he should be said to have "delusions" in this thread. If anything it's your post displaying what appear to be "delusions".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Wow, Jorge says that evolutionary theory is not a religion
      Where? Certainly not in this thread. What he said in this thread is that, well, it's not a religion except that well, it IS part of the religion of disbelief in his religion. OK, let's grant that Jorge didn't call it a religion, he called it a religious position. Before the Great Crash, he called evolutionary theory a religion repeatedly, as I recall. Here, all he's doing is taking a cogent, coherent examination of the question and dismissing it all as nonsense.

and yet you still blast him as if he said it was. I don't think he should be said to have "delusions" in this thread. If anything it's your post displaying what appear to be "delusions".
      OK, let's moderate that a bit. Rogue06 went to a considerable amount of trouble to produce a very well written and informative serious of posts. Jorge responds to the many compelling points raised in those posts by saying "The number of errors in your mini-dissertation above are LEGION-SQUARED! I'm leaving it at that." Of course, Jorge ALWAYS leaves it at that. Not one error pointed out, not one argument made, nothing but trashing another poster's efforts while providing not a trace of substance.

I would be perfectly willing to take the position that rogue06's points are NOT delusional, and that dismissing them all wholesale without a single substantive response is if not delusional at the very least worthless. And yet, here you are defending Jorge rather than rogue06. I admit I can't help drawing some inferences from this.

Meanwhile, I eagerly await Jorge's dissertation on information theory. I'll be especially interested in which peers review it before publication.

Comment

Wow, Jorge says that evolutionary theory is not a religion
        Where? Certainly not in this thread.
        Yes, in this thread: "The title of this thread is "Is the Theory of Evolution a Religion?" No, it isn't." That doesn't leave any room for doubt.

Roy
        Last edited by Roy; 01-31-2014, 07:03 PM.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
          Actually, the answer depends on how you define religion.

Most people casually think of religion as "the worshiping of a deity"

If you distort the definition enough, you end up with things like Scientology being defined as a religion.

I think this is the definition Jorge and his ilk use.
          Actually, by almost any accepted definitions scientology would be a religion regardless of one's personal opinion of the belief. The problem is with calling 'Science (Scientism???)' a religion, which does not fit any of the accepted definitions of religion in the English language.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Wow, Jorge says that evolutionary theory is not a religion, and yet you still blast him as if he said it was. I don't think he should be said to have "delusions" in this thread. If anything it's your post displaying what appear to be "delusions".
            Please note J**** said,
            Originally posted by Jorge
            "But to many it is undoubtedly a PART of their religious position."
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Actually, by almost any accepted definitions scientology would be a religion regardless of one's personal opinion of the belief. The problem is with calling 'Science (Scientism???)' a religion, which does not fit any of the accepted definitions of religion in the English language.

It's actually very bad pop psychology, if you really stretch the definition, it might qualify as a philosophy, but that's my point, the definition of religion for most people involves a deity.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say a superstition and non-superstition, but that, even though accurate, sounds disrespectful to those who read more in to the descriptions that the literal.
              "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Please note J**** said,
                Yeah, and? Do you dispute that sentence?

Comment

OK, Jorge said it's not a religion per se, but it does constitute part (perhaps an important part) of the religion of atheism. Go figure.

Comment

Please note J**** said,
                    To the poor souls like dragon that are clearly comprehension-impaired, let me repeat and clarify:

In and of itself, the Theory of Evolution (ToE) is not a religion. However, for a great many people the ToE does undoubtedly serve a major role - a major part - in their religion. As one example, what would Atheism-Humanism be without the ToE? Dawkins himself said (paraphrasing) : "Darwin (i.e., Darwinism ... the ToE) makes it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled Atheist." That statement implies, of course, that before the ToE an Atheist was not and could not be intellectually fulfilled.

But it is not the same to be a part of a religion than being a religion on its own. You need to improve your basic logic skills, dragon.

?Comprende?

Jorge

Comment

OK, Jorge said it's not a religion per se, but it does constitute part (perhaps an important part) of the religion of atheism. Go figure.
                      See my previous post ... apply generously to yourself.

Jorge

Comment

He also applied it to theistic, and deistic religious stances.

Comment

He also applied it to theistic, and deistic religious stances.
                          Yes, as I said. He regards faith in evolution as a part of a list of religious positions different from his own. Pretty clearly, he casts the theory of evolution in religious and not scientific terms.

Comment

Yes, as I said. He regards faith in evolution as a part of a list of religious positions different from his own. Pretty clearly, he casts the theory of evolution in religious and not scientific terms.
                            Yeah - just like I think of transsubstantiation and the planet Kolob in religous terms. They too are part of religious positions, but they are definitely not religions.

Roy
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                              It's actually very bad pop psychology, if you really stretch the definition, it might qualify as a philosophy, but that's my point, the definition of religion for most people involves a deity.
                              Careful, the definition includes more than what most people call a deity.
                              Originally posted by http://www.thefreedictionary.com/religion
                              1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship. 2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order. 3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader. 4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
                              I believe scientology is a hoax and a pyramid con game of unbelievable proportions, but my opinion does not exclude it from being considered a religion.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Yeah - just like I think of transsubstantiation and the planet Kolob in religous terms. They too are part of religious positions, but they are definitely not religions.

Roy
                                Seems that religious people find uncongenial scientific theories to be False Faith, while science-oriented people tend to see religion as Bad Science.

Comment