Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Favorite MMORPGs, FPS, online Strategy games etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite MMORPGs, FPS, online Strategy games etc.

ok folks I decided that there should be a way for folks to show what they are playing online and give links to the games if they want so that others who are interested might give them a try. Rule of the thread you need to say what type of online game it is and why they like it. No discussion on which is better just informational or asking for more information.

if you want to discuss which is better start your own thread.

here's my first contribution
    For me it has something for whatever mood i'm in dungeon crawling, raiding, grouping even solo and the crafting is more then just one click creating, and if you like to decorate it is the best game to do that in the things you can do are awesome. they even have a dedicated PvP server as well as cross server Battlegrounds PvP for those who do not want to live on teh PvP server. I can't tell you much about the PvP side as I don't normally enjoy that. I have tried out the battlegrounds though and found them fun but my current rig can't handle going from battlegrounds back to my live server so haven't been able to do them. for more infomation here is EverQuest2's official homesite.

download here you can choose streaming or full client download

PM me if you are interested and I'll tell my my server and main toon. so we can hook up and I can show you the ropes it is also a F2P with restrictions or you can subscribe with no restrictions.

oh and did I mention that if you subscribe it will also sub you to many of SoE's other games as well so if fantasy is not to your liking you can dip into DCUO or Planetside as well as others.
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM.

I like to play Smite and League of Legends (though lately it's been a lot more Smite than LoL).

They're both MOBAs (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena). Both free-to-play, and both tons of fun...

...However, the learning curve on both can be pretty steep, and the online community can be quite harsh as well. LoL, for example, likely has the nastiest gaming community on the internet.

It's hard to say which I like more. My friends and I have been playing Smite more lately, so I guess that one. Smite is a little less hardcore than LoL, which in turn is a little less hardcore than DotA 2. Smite, I think, is a little more straight-up fun, and probably a little easier to get into than LoL.

If anybody plays either of these, feel free to look me up. My screen name should be obvious.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I play EQ2 occasionally, but I tend to like other games a bit more. EQ2's biggest limitation for me right now is that it only uses keyboard/mouse(unless you buy a special logitech controller), and I'm just not very good with that outside of a few platform games(which are again better with a gamepad).

I happen to like Warframe. It's a third person shooter co-op game. You are basically outer space ninja's with guns and special powers. It can be a bit of a grind at times, but it's pretty good fun. Oh, and they added wolf like pets recently. I do have a TWeb clan there, but the only one who plays with any real regularity is me. I do have most of the clan tech weapons researched though.

Next in line would be DCUO, I don't have a sub, but I have most of the DLC. I haven't played it much at all lately. Not nearly as fun when you don't have a good league. The only person I know on PC with a decent one isn't a very active player.

Maybe once I free up some space on my PC I can get back on Star Trek Online, and Champions Online.

Comment

If you're familiar with MOBAs but unfamiliar with Smite, it's worth adding the major difference between Smite and every other MOBA: Smite is played in limited third-person, with WASD controls rather than mouse clicks. Everything is a skill shot, and you can't just skim the map like you can in LoL or DotA. It's a seemingly minor difference that makes it play significantly differently, so if you tried LoL and didn't like it (Cerebrum123 ), Smite is still worth a shot.

Edit: Also, the playable characters in Smite are all mythological gods, from multiple different mythologies (Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Mayan, Chinese...). My favorites are Bacchus, the Roman god of wine, and Chaac, the Mayan god of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          If you're familiar with MOBAs but unfamiliar with Smite, it's worth adding the major difference between Smite and every other MOBA: Smite is played in limited third-person, with WASD controls rather than mouse clicks. Everything is a skill shot, and you can't just skim the map like you can in LoL or DotA. It's a seemingly minor difference that makes it play significantly differently, so if you tried LoL and didn't like it (Cerebrum123 ), Smite is still worth a shot.

Edit: Also, the playable characters in Smite are all mythological gods, from multiple different mythologies (Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Mayan, Chinese...). My favorites are Bacchus, the Roman god of wine, and Chaac, the Mayan god of rain.
          So, it's a bit like Archeblade, but without gamepad support? I'm not very good at that one, but at least I think I could handle it if I had people to play with. I wish they would go a bit less skimpy* on some of the outfits though.

*It's rated T for Teen, think Morrigan on Marvel vs Capcom, or Ivy on some of Soul Calibur games.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            So, it's a bit like Archeblade, but without gamepad support? I'm not very good at that one, but at least I think I could handle it if I had people to play with. I wish they would go a bit less skimpy* on some of the outfits though.

*It's rated T for Teen, think Morrigan on Marvel vs Capcom, or Ivy on some of Soul Calibur games.
            I haven't heard of it. The skimpy part goes for Smite too, though....

You should download it!

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I haven't heard of it. The skimpy part goes for Smite too, though....

You should download it!
              I would, but right now I don't have enough free space to be able to continue playing it and Landmark. I'm supposed to eventually reformat this hard drive, maybe then I will.

Comment

I just saw this for Warframe, it's not in yet, but it's awesome.

Comment

Well, there's Smite, there's also the new one Dragon's Prophet. The new Zombies Monsters and Robots...albeit, it doesn't technically fit under the MMO license. For FPS's, I recommend Duke Nukem 3D, Doom (of course), Painkiller (It's awesome) , Team Fortress 2, oh, and Payday 2. For strategy games, Rome: Total War, and Medieval 2: Total War, are must plays, with Medieval being my better of the two, and the new FTL: Faster Than Light.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Path of Exile

A Diablo 2 clone that captures the general D2 atmosphere better than any other game (including Diablo 3). Its stat system is a little novel (or weird if you prefer). Passive skills are part of a huge web that looks intimidating but really isn't once you're used to it. Your class determines where you start on that web. Active skills are attached to gems which you socket into your equipment to use. The gems themselves gain levels along with you which in turn improve the related skill. The thing that makes it stand out the most is that it's completely free with no pay to win elements whatsoever. All the real money items they sell are purely cosmetic armor/weapon/skill animation art. It is, sadly, online only though (but nothing forces you to actually play with other people which is how I like my online games).
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                      Well, there's Smite, there's also the new one Dragon's Prophet. The new Zombies Monsters and Robots...albeit, it doesn't technically fit under the MMO license. For FPS's, I recommend Duke Nukem 3D, Doom (of course), Painkiller (It's awesome) , Team Fortress 2, oh, and Payday 2. For strategy games, Rome: Total War, and Medieval 2: Total War, are must plays, with Medieval being my better of the two, and the new FTL: Faster Than Light.
                      So I should think of looking into Dragons' prophet when it is put in my all access stable of games from SoE?

Comment

I have two poisons of choice: Final Fantasy XI and XIV.

XI: I've played since NA release way back in October 2003, but my current toon was created in December of that year.

XIV 1.0: Played for a little after it was first released, then moreso towards April-May 2011 through November 2012 when the servers were taken offline.

XIV 2.0: Played since start of Realm Reborn. My toon looks ultra spiffy.

ffxiv_06142014_231559.jpg

Or ultra funny.
                        ffxiv_04072014_230156.jpg
                        Blade of Light? Check.
                        Churchlady Hat? Check.

Comment

Poker Night At Inventory, and its sequel, Poker Night 2. It's basically a game where you play poker with a bunch of famous video game/tv characters. It's pretty awesome.
                          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I like Arma 3 its my favourite FPS:

examples:

Last edited by johngalt1; 10-29-2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thought I would come back to this since they recently showed off some majorly cool stuff for Warframe. None of the stuff on that page is out yet, but the first update is either end of Summer, of early Fall. This is by far the best f2p title I've played out there. It's kind of a science fantasy style game along the lines of Star Wars with "The Void" and the energies associated with it being the closest thing to "magic" it has.

For FPS games I would say Paladins: Champions of the Realm. Which in some ways similar to Overwatch, but fantasy rather than sci-fi. It's also f2p.

I need to check out Smite again, and I also need to retry Dungeon Defenders 2, and maybe try and find a group of people to play SoulWorker. All of these games are f2p, and have relatively low requirements for a PC with respect to hardware. So, if you either have issues with newer games running on your PC, or you are on a budget these titles are worth checking out.

Comment