Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

1st Century Fragment of Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like they are inundated with a whole lot of fragments and perhaps they are trying to choose scholars with like-minded theological views, which could be limiting their progress. I don't know that but it is a potential concern.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

That's not Darrell Bock. It's Darrell Post who is collating 2892 for CSNTM.

Comment

Originally posted by someone else View Post
        That's not Darrell Bock. It's Darrell Post who is collating 2892 for CSNTM.
        Oh, okay. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Dan Wallace has commented on the Josh McDowell stuff.....basically to say that:
          yes he did speak at the conference because he was asked to.
          No-one handled papyri at his display table, he can't comment about other presentations as he never saw them

He can't comment at all on the 1st Century Gospel of Mark fragment, to either confirm or deny the rumours floating around because of the NDA.

http://danielbwallace.com/2014/05/06...-the-evidence/

Source: Dan Wallace

Finally, some claims were made at the conference (so I am told) about one papyrus in particular, a fragment from Mark’s Gospel. What was said about that fragment was not said in my presence. And even if it had been, I can neither confirm nor deny the points made because I signed a nondisclosure agreement on this issue some time ago.

I realize that this note doesn’t satisfy the rumor mill much since there are no juicy revelations made here. And it hardly sets the record straight—except to note that my participation in this event, though happily entered into, was minimal. I am making no comment on conduct in handling the artifacts or statements made in my absence.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            Dan Wallace has commented on the Josh McDowell stuff.....basically to say that:
            yes he did speak at the conference because he was asked to.
            No-one handled papyri at his display table, he can't comment about other presentations as he never saw them

He can't comment at all on the 1st Century Gospel of Mark fragment, to either confirm or deny the rumours floating around because of the NDA.

http://danielbwallace.com/2014/05/06...-the-evidence/

Source: Dan Wallace

Finally, some claims were made at the conference (so I am told) about one papyrus in particular, a fragment from Mark’s Gospel. What was said about that fragment was not said in my presence. And even if it had been, I can neither confirm nor deny the points made because I signed a nondisclosure agreement on this issue some time ago.

I realize that this note doesn’t satisfy the rumor mill much since there are no juicy revelations made here. And it hardly sets the record straight—except to note that my participation in this event, though happily entered into, was minimal. I am making no comment on conduct in handling the artifacts or statements made in my absence.

Yep, I mentioned that in post #37. Seems like a lot of the initial hubbub has died down. The consensus opinion seems to be that McDowell was exaggerating a bit about his experience and that we'll see some of the manuscripts published later this year.

Comment

The latest news is from Craig Evans, who has some knowledge of this find and is advising the Green project. He has been told that the text fragment will not be published for another couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                The latest news is from Craig Evans, who has some knowledge of this find and is advising the Green project. He has been told that the text fragment will not be published for another couple of years.
                Odd, any reason for the delay.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Just speculation. They may be trying to publish several fragments in one volume. Multiple scholars writing separate chapters on each text. Some are always chronically late in finishing their chapters. Legal issues pertaining to the copyright and ownership of the original masks. None of these reasons discussed are sufficient to explain another two years of delay.

Comment

He said that it'll be published later this year:

Source: http://www.livescience.com/49489-oldest-known-gospel-mummy-mask.html

Evans said that the research team will publish the first volume of texts obtained through the mummy masks and cartonnage later this year. It will include the gospel fragment that the researchers believe dates back to the first century.

The team originally hoped the volume would be published in 2013 or 2014, but the date had to be moved back to 2015. Evans said he is uncertain why the book's publication was delayed, but the team has made use of the extra time to conduct further studies into the first-century gospel. "The benefit of the delay is that when it comes out, there will be additional information about it and other related texts."

Here's a video where he makes some of these claims:

Last edited by Adrift; 01-22-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      He said that it'll be published later this year:

Source: http://www.livescience.com/49489-oldest-known-gospel-mummy-mask.html

Evans said that the research team will publish the first volume of texts obtained through the mummy masks and cartonnage later this year. It will include the gospel fragment that the researchers believe dates back to the first century.

The team originally hoped the volume would be published in 2013 or 2014, but the date had to be moved back to 2015. Evans said he is uncertain why the book's publication was delayed, but the team has made use of the extra time to conduct further studies into the first-century gospel. "The benefit of the delay is that when it comes out, there will be additional information about it and other related texts."

Here's a video where he makes some of these claims:

That's old info. Craig Evans was told just yesterday by Jerry Pattengale, the manager of the Green Scholars initiativ, that it will be another “couple of years.”

Comment

That's old info. Craig Evans was told just yesterday by Jerry Pattengale, the manager of the Green Scholars initiativ, that it will be another “couple of years.”
                        Ah. Okay. Lot can change in 4 days.

Comment

Another interpretation: 7Q5EN2.jpg
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            Another interpretation: [ATTACH=CONFIG]5837[/ATTACH]
                            Given two possible interpretations, the probability of it being from Jeremiah is much, much higher (or, rather, that the probability of it being from Mark is very low).
                            Last edited by One Bad Pig; 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I did some searching and can't seem to find any updates on this. Is it still awaiting publishing? I'm very puzzled as to what's taking so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                                I did some searching and can't seem to find any updates on this. Is it still awaiting publishing? I'm very puzzled as to what's taking so long.
                                meant to still be waiting publishing.....I'm not sure the source of the delays.
                                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

Comment