Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 1st Century Fragment of Mark

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Source: LiveScience

... Evans says that the text was dated through a combination of carbon-14 dating, studying the handwriting on the fragment and studying the other documents found along with the gospel. These considerations led the researchers to conclude that the fragment was written before the year 90. ...

© Copyright Original Source

This goes beyond the paleographic dating that was initially mentioned by Wallace. Is this additional information reliable? We don't know. Note that Larry Hurtado was subsequently told by Evans that 'his own statements were much more cautious than what was reported' by Live Science.
    Last edited by robrecht; 05-16-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    This goes beyond the paleographic dating that was initially mentioned by Wallace. Is this additional information reliable? We don't know. Note that Larry Hurtado was subsequently told by Evans that 'his own statements were much more cautious than what was reported' by Live Science.
    I would expect that they have more testing done since 2012, but also Evans makes it clear that he can only say what Wallace had already accidently revealed
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I'm skeptical that C-14 can tell us much about the actual date of writing. It can tell us the age of the writing material, but in this time period writing material was often re-used.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Albert Einstein

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Is the C 14 dating more advanced these days? I read where there is a plus/minus of 50 years?

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbertsche View Post
    I'm skeptical that C-14 can tell us much about the actual date of writing. It can tell us the age of the writing material, but in this time period writing material was often re-used.
    I think it's the combination.

The C14 dating can help confirm that it wasn't made last week in someone's garage.

That tied in with the paleographic dating, tied in with the other documents they found with the mask as well as the date of the mask itself is what gives us the "this document cannot be later than 90A.D." (I heard Gary Habermas suggest 80A.D. in an interview on his minimal fact apologetics approach....I don't know if he has received additional information that he shouldn't have been mentioning).
    I do remember Wallace saying that even allowing for a 50 year error margin on the paleographic dating, it looked to be from before 90A.D. It could well be older.

I think they are wanting to make very sure that it's nothing like the "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" forgery that was swallowed up hook, line and sinker (and breathlessly reported on by the media who were strangely silent when the fraud was discovered)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I had to look up this Gospel of Jesus' s Wife before I could remember anything about it. I recall the reports about the translations but not all the media storm that apparently went on.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbertsche View Post
    However, we can tell when writing material was re-used, because we can see traces of what was "erased" (often well enough to recover it).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Replace "known" with "commonly believed" and I'd agree with you. It would make things harder for the fringe who date the gospels quite late. IIRC, there were other NT fragments found as well, but they're probably not early enough to materially alter stances. If, e.g., fragments of the pastorals or Petrine epistles were found from c. 70, that would be big.
    Yes, I suppose you're correct. I've argued with somebody who believes that the gospels are from the time of the Bar Kochba Revolt... as per an argument by Hermann Detering.

I'm not sure about 1 Peter, as I think it could be authentic. 2 Peter doesn't seem authentic, and the Pastorals seem to be pseudopigraphic. However, I think that the strongest argument we have for a later dating is the church hierarchy discussion.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So there's an update of sorts here. Okay, this is from a few months ago but I stumbled across it fairly randomly and no one else had posted it, so here we go. Habermas talks about how we've been waiting for a while but progress is being made and says that he was told that the current estimated date for the Mark fragment is 80-110. Still no word on exactly when everything will be officially published, though, but it is at least confirmation that it's being worked on and a little more information regarding the dating.

10. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.