Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Timothy 2:9 states women should dress modestly and not adorn themselves in expensive wear. Been wondering on this issue and would like to hear other women's thoughts and men as well. Do you know a christian who wears expensive designer clothes that paid retail? Does it make a difference if you get it as a gift? Should we be aware that others may be influenced by our attire and if they feel actually bad if they compare themselves to you. thank you.
    Last edited by princesa; 08-24-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The issue isn't expense but showing off. If you're dumb enough to spend thousands on stuff others get for a fraction of that it might bring your stewardship into question but it doesn't necessarily violate Paul's edict here.

Granted, if you're spending that kind of money there's a reason and it may well be to draw attention to yourself - in which case yes, you are violating Paul's admonition here.

Nothing wrong with looking nice and we certainly want to dress appropriately. What we should not be doing is trying to show off our money, status, looks or anything else by over dressing or provocatively dressing.

3. Amen Ana Dragule amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    One of the books I'm reading for seminary talks about simplicity. I think it goes overboard in an ascetic direction in some of what it recommends but I think it's right that most of us do not need more clothes than we already have, and we ought to wear clothes until it wears out rather than until it goes out of fashion.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Timothy 2:9 refers to a fashion trend that luckily died out thousands of years ago. High-class woman wore essentially bee-hive hairdos in which they wove jewels. Everything about it was ostentatious, distracting, and was meant to elevate their social status in a group that was supposed to have none.

Designer brands *might* serve the same purpose(in which case they aren't permitted), but not necessarily.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Um, actually, wearing jewelry in the hair hasn't died out...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not quite the same thing or the same extent....

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey guys, traffic was bad on the highway. Am I late for my small group?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    LOL Manwe!

Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Women have an excellent sense for 'who' but a terrible sense for 'what.'

The only purpose for wearing "expensive designer" (redundant) anything is to signal to other women how rich/dedicated your husband is, and by extension, you. Whether he can afford it or not is spiritually immaterial to what type of message you're attempting to send to the other women. If y'all's just rich gals and Gucci's the local uniform, I don't see much danger in wearing it, but if you're wearing it daily to stand out among the K-mart crowd, then I might say your priorities have shifted toward attention whoring.

(Inevitable rejoinder: "But what if she's wearing it for a guy?" Inevitable response: "The guys who personally care very much whether a piece of clothing is "designer" or not are about 99% likely not to be into women.")

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's nothing prima facie wrong with dressing nicely; but designer brands are usually an exercise in proving the proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted." A smart shopper can find nice looking clothes without the premium price.

Incidentally, I dress terribly....partly because I'm a guy and don't know how to do otherwise, and partly because clothes have always been a practical thing for me, not a social statement.