Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Timothy 2:9 states women should dress modestly and not adorn themselves in expensive wear. Been wondering on this issue and would like to hear other women's thoughts and men as well. Do you know a christian who wears expensive designer clothes that paid retail? Does it make a difference if you get it as a gift? Should we be aware that others may be influenced by our attire and if they feel actually bad if they compare themselves to you. thank you.
    Last edited by princesa; 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM.

The issue isn't expense but showing off. If you're dumb enough to spend thousands on stuff others get for a fraction of that it might bring your stewardship into question but it doesn't necessarily violate Paul's edict here.

Granted, if you're spending that kind of money there's a reason and it may well be to draw attention to yourself - in which case yes, you are violating Paul's admonition here.

Nothing wrong with looking nice and we certainly want to dress appropriately. What we should not be doing is trying to show off our money, status, looks or anything else by over dressing or provocatively dressing.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

One of the books I'm reading for seminary talks about simplicity. I think it goes overboard in an ascetic direction in some of what it recommends but I think it's right that most of us do not need more clothes than we already have, and we ought to wear clothes until it wears out rather than until it goes out of fashion.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Timothy 2:9 refers to a fashion trend that luckily died out thousands of years ago. High-class woman wore essentially bee-hive hairdos in which they wove jewels. Everything about it was ostentatious, distracting, and was meant to elevate their social status in a group that was supposed to have none.

Designer brands *might* serve the same purpose(in which case they aren't permitted), but not necessarily.

Comment

Um, actually, wearing jewelry in the hair hasn't died out...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Not quite the same thing or the same extent....

Comment

Hey guys, traffic was bad on the highway. Am I late for my small group?

Comment

LOL Manwe!

Comment

Women have an excellent sense for 'who' but a terrible sense for 'what.'

The only purpose for wearing "expensive designer" (redundant) anything is to signal to other women how rich/dedicated your husband is, and by extension, you. Whether he can afford it or not is spiritually immaterial to what type of message you're attempting to send to the other women. If y'all's just rich gals and Gucci's the local uniform, I don't see much danger in wearing it, but if you're wearing it daily to stand out among the K-mart crowd, then I might say your priorities have shifted toward attention whoring.

(Inevitable rejoinder: "But what if she's wearing it for a guy?" Inevitable response: "The guys who personally care very much whether a piece of clothing is "designer" or not are about 99% likely not to be into women.")

Comment

There's nothing prima facie wrong with dressing nicely; but designer brands are usually an exercise in proving the proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted." A smart shopper can find nice looking clothes without the premium price.

Incidentally, I dress terribly....partly because I'm a guy and don't know how to do otherwise, and partly because clothes have always been a practical thing for me, not a social statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                      There's nothing prima facie wrong with dressing nicely; but designer brands are usually an exercise in proving the proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted." A smart shopper can find nice looking clothes without the premium price.

Incidentally, I dress terribly....partly because I'm a guy and don't know how to do otherwise, and partly because clothes have always been a practical thing for me, not a social statement.
                      Yes indeed. You would get a pass for wearing something in a social gathering that might be fashionable on a golf course, women have no excuse (dressing too far from apart from your social group indicates too much of a desire to set yourself apart, like that one guy wearing a dress shirt and slacks in a meeting of IT guys in uniform T-shirts and jeans. Were you trying for the job at Google or Yahoo?)

Comment

Recognizing the cultural component of what was going on creates one tension - how to apply the principle today. Coming up with hard and fast rules results in legalism, while ignoring the passage altogether impoverishes us of an inspired spiritual message.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                          Timothy 2:9 states women should dress modestly and not adorn themselves in expensive wear. snip.
                          This is not what it says. I Timothy 2:9 -- In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

If I had the money... I would wear expensive clothing all the time. Drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, build extravagant, expensive houses.... Abraham was rich. Job was rich. Isaac was rich, Jacob was rich, Joseph was rich, Solomon was super-rich....
                          Last edited by Mr.Kott; 01-16-2016, 02:10 AM.
                          There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
                            If I had the money... I would wear expensive clothing all the time. Drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, build extravagant, expensive houses.... Abraham was rich. Job was rich. Isaac was rich, Jacob was rich, Joseph was rich, Solomon was super-rich....
                            It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.
                              So, as long as we're not "super-rich" we're fine?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X