Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 161

Thread: Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,276
    Amen (Given)
    87
    Amen (Received)
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwλ Sϊlimo View Post
    There's nothing prima facie wrong with dressing nicely; but designer brands are usually an exercise in proving the proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted." A smart shopper can find nice looking clothes without the premium price.

    Incidentally, I dress terribly....partly because I'm a guy and don't know how to do otherwise, and partly because clothes have always been a practical thing for me, not a social statement.
    Yes indeed. You would get a pass for wearing something in a social gathering that might be fashionable on a golf course, women have no excuse (dressing too far from apart from your social group indicates too much of a desire to set yourself apart, like that one guy wearing a dress shirt and slacks in a meeting of IT guys in uniform T-shirts and jeans. Were you trying for the job at Google or Yahoo?)

  2. #12
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,556
    Amen (Given)
    1272
    Amen (Received)
    3283
    Recognizing the cultural component of what was going on creates one tension - how to apply the principle today. Coming up with hard and fast rules results in legalism, while ignoring the passage altogether impoverishes us of an inspired spiritual message.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

  3. #13
    tWebber Mr.Kott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121
    Amen (Given)
    25
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by princesa View Post
    Timothy 2:9 states women should dress modestly and not adorn themselves in expensive wear. snip.
    This is not what it says. I Timothy 2:9 -- In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

    If I had the money... I would wear expensive clothing all the time. Drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, build extravagant, expensive houses.... Abraham was rich. Job was rich. Isaac was rich, Jacob was rich, Joseph was rich, Solomon was super-rich....
    Last edited by Mr.Kott; 01-16-2016 at 07:10 AM.
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

    1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

    2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

    3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

    4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

  4. #14
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,556
    Amen (Given)
    1272
    Amen (Received)
    3283
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kott View Post
    If I had the money... I would wear expensive clothing all the time. Drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, build extravagant, expensive houses.... Abraham was rich. Job was rich. Isaac was rich, Jacob was rich, Joseph was rich, Solomon was super-rich....
    It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

  5. Amen theophilus, RumTumTugger, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  6. #15
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,647
    Amen (Given)
    14544
    Amen (Received)
    2666
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.
    So, as long as we're not "super-rich" we're fine?


    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.


  7. #16
    tWebber Mr.Kott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121
    Amen (Given)
    25
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.
    It wasn't money that turned his heart. You can read it for yourself.

    And it's not God's fault if you want to be poor: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. III John 1:2 God wants us to prosper. That means spiritually, physically, financially....
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

    1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

    2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

    3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

    4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

  8. #17
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,042
    Amen (Given)
    10900
    Amen (Received)
    6238
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kott View Post
    It wasn't money that turned his heart. You can read it for yourself.

    And it's not God's fault if you want to be poor: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. III John 1:2 God wants us to prosper. That means spiritually, physically, financially....
    Oh. You are one of those, then.

    Scripture also tells us that we are to be content in whatever state we are in, too.

    And to be good stewards of what God has given us. That means that I won't be going out to purchase an item just because it has some designer's name on it. Even if I can afford it.
    Last edited by mossrose; 01-17-2016 at 08:05 PM.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  9. Amen theophilus, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  10. #18
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    609
    Amen (Given)
    107
    Amen (Received)
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Scripture also tells us that we are to be content in whatever state we are in, too.
    But that was before New Jersey existed.

  11. Amen Mr.Kott, Spartacus amen'd this post.
  12. #19
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    15,042
    Amen (Given)
    10900
    Amen (Received)
    6238
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    But that was before New Jersey existed.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  13. #20
    tWebber Mr.Kott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121
    Amen (Given)
    25
    Amen (Received)
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Oh. You are one of those, then.

    Scripture also tells us that we are to be content in whatever state we are in, too.

    And to be good stewards of what God has given us. That means that I won't be going out to purchase an item just because it has some designer's name on it. Even if I can afford it.
    Poverty is a curse you know.....
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

    1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

    2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

    3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

    4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •