Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians and Expensive Designer Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's probably no coincidence that Solomon drifted from God as he became more interested in worldly manners.
    It wasn't money that turned his heart. You can read it for yourself.

And it's not God's fault if you want to be poor: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. III John 1:2 God wants us to prosper. That means spiritually, physically, financially....
    There are four types of giving in the Bible:

1. Tithe – Motivation is Obedience.

2. First Fruits – Motivation is Generosity.

3. Alms Giving – Motivation is Compassion.

4. Seed Giving – Motivation is Faith and Reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Kott View Post
      It wasn't money that turned his heart. You can read it for yourself.

And it's not God's fault if you want to be poor: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospers. III John 1:2 God wants us to prosper. That means spiritually, physically, financially....
      Oh. You are one of those, then.

Scripture also tells us that we are to be content in whatever state we are in, too.

And to be good stewards of what God has given us. That means that I won't be going out to purchase an item just because it has some designer's name on it. Even if I can afford it.
      Last edited by mossrose; 01-17-2016, 03:05 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Scripture also tells us that we are to be content in whatever state we are in, too.
        But that was before New Jersey existed.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          But that was before New Jersey existed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Oh. You are one of those, then.

And to be good stewards of what God has given us. That means that I won't be going out to purchase an item just because it has some designer's name on it. Even if I can afford it.
            Poverty is a curse you know.....

Comment

Poverty is a curse you know.....
              And the Word of Faith, i.e. health, wealth, prosperity "gospel" is heretical.

Comment

Poverty can be caused by a myriad of factors. Laziness was/is only one of them.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

And the Word of Faith, i.e. health, wealth, prosperity "gospel" is heretical.
                  And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matthew 21:22

Either Jesus is lying or you are... I pick you.

Comment

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matthew 21:22

You can twist and misunderstand scripture all you want. You can cherry-pick whatever you think fits your so-called theology. You can call me a liar if you wish. You are preaching a different Jesus and a different gospel.

I call you a heretic and a false prophet. And God's word proves me right and you wrong.

Comment

You can twist and misunderstand scripture all you want. You can cherry-pick whatever you think fits your so-called theology. You can call me a liar if you wish. You are preaching a different Jesus and a different gospel.

I call you a heretic and a false prophet. And God's word proves me right and you wrong.
                      What is with this guy? I think he just fails at hermeneutics. And Exegesis.

Comment

So, I take it you believe Herod literally offered half his kingdom in Mark 6?

Actually there is another option, that you are misunderstanding Jesus. This is the kind of misunderstanding you get when you don't realize that the Bible was written in a different culture, around 2000 years ago, and not yesterday in English. Figures of speech, hyperbole, and other things like cultural specifics need to be taken into account. You haven't done this, so you're getting a warped view of scripture.

Poverty isn't necessarily a curse* either.

Luke 6:19-21New International Version (NIV)

19 and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.

20 Looking at his disciples, he said:

Blessed are you who are poor,
                        for yours is the kingdom of God.
                        21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
                        for you will be satisfied.
                        Blessed are you who weep now,
                        for you will laugh.

I'm not going to imply you're a liar simply for missing that though.

*You claimed that in a different post.

Comment

Or Mr Kott just likes to argue. Even if it means taking the side of the wacky word faith people. How old is this guy???

Comment

That's a pretty heavy accusation. If you think he's really a heretic, shouldn't you force him to change his faith tag?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              That's a pretty heavy accusation. If you think he's really a heretic, shouldn't you force him to change his faith tag?
                              Isn't calling me a liar a pretty heavy accusation as well?

And if we think he is heretical we will discuss the matter. You don't need to tell us how to run the site.

Comment

Isn't calling me a liar a pretty heavy accusation as well?
                                Certainly, but two wrongs don't make a right (if, in fact, the accusations are wrong).

And if we think he is heretical we will discuss the matter. You don't need to tell us how to run the site.
                                Fair nuff. If it is decided that he must change his faith tag for being a heretic, hopefully you can lay out how you came to that decision. I may end up needing to change my faith tag as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X