Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Beginning seminary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Interesting. Whad does it say are some of the 'wrong reasons'? Personally, I entered ministry, celibate religious and then seminary for some of the wrong reasons. I was too young, right out of college, and trying to find an instant idealized identify for myself without yet facing some of the difficult personal questions and challenges that are part of becoming an adult. I loved it, was happy for years, grew a lot personally, but eventually realized that I had short circuited some important identify issues pertaining to personal freedom, marriage and children. For me, as a Catholic, it was a much more complicated issue than it would be for a Baptist, where celibacy, marriage and family are not at issue.
    The author of the article mentioned the idea of simply planning to go as something one had planned to do since childhood, and she also mentioned the case of somebody who enrolled as a means to deal with the grief of losing his father, who was hit by a car while in seminary. Both she and my professor also mentioned wrong motivations for going, especially simply seeing seminary as a means to an end or as a place where one learns all the answers or all the tools of the trade for any conceivable situation on the job.

To be completely honest, it's difficult not seeing it at least as part of a process with a vocational goal in mind, because I do have a family to take care of, but the professor emphasized that we should view seminary as a means of personal development.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Comment

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment