Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I'm no libertarian, but they have the right to be on the ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm no libertarian, but they have the right to be on the ballot

Apparently the Illinois state Republican Party tracked down people who signed the ballot to get Libertarian candidates on the ballot, and sent armed men to their homes demanding they recant their "fraudulent" signatures.

This isn't legal, is it?

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...08202014-801pm
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I ain't figured out why you guys* think there should only be two parties.

*not you specifically KG, obviously, talking America in general.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      I ain't figured out why you guys* think there should only be two parties.

*not you specifically KG, obviously, talking America in general.
      The system favors the status quo, and the people in power don't see any reason to change it.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Whatever the system is, this is unconstitutional if it's true. However, I'm not surprised this happened in Illinois, home of the notorious old Chicago bosses and ongoing nasty stuff.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinoi...election,_2006

That might shed some light on why Illinois' party bosses are nervous about third parties. 8 years ago, an independent walked away with 10% of the vote-- granted, most of those votes were because they didn't like either of the other two candidates (the Republican was, iirc, pro-abortion, and the Democrat is currently in jail), but that's still 10% that either party would have liked to have for themselves.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I don't think this is just Illinois. In the 2012 Presidental run, Ron Paul delegates were denied admission to the Republican nomination process by various means. There's this accusation that a group of Ron Paul delegates boarded a bus to go to the Republican Presidental Convention. The bus driver went anywhere but the convention center for hours against pleas by the delegates.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Ron Paul was a third party candidate?
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Libertarians fight for the rights of women to murder their children, third word savages to rape and murder you and your family and degenerates and predatory billionaire trash for the right to make you a serf and impose humiliating and destructive social and fiscal policy on you.

As such, all I would like to say is
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Apparently the Illinois state Republican Party tracked down people who signed the ballot to get Libertarian candidates on the ballot, and sent armed men to their homes demanding they recant their "fraudulent" signatures.

This isn't legal, is it?

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...08202014-801pm
                  Carrying the gun? Yes. Lying about the affidavit? No, that's fraud.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    Ron Paul was a third party candidate?
                    Not in the 2012 run. He ran as a Republican then. True, before, he was a Libertarian Party candidate.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Libertarians fight for the rights of women to murder their children, third word savages to rape and murder you and your family and degenerates and predatory billionaire trash for the right to make you a serf and impose humiliating and destructive social and fiscal policy on you.

As such, all I would like to say is
                      If you were not jesting, you are wrong about abortion. 1) Ron Paul and many other libertarians are pro-life. 2) Ron Paul does favor adequate defense and crime deterrence. You may not agree with what he advocates, if you really know what that is--a notion to laugh at 3) "Degenerates"? I begin to fear that your mind is degenerating. 4) You are actually describing the situation somewhat as it is now (predatory billionaires, destructive policies). Why would it be worse with Ron Paul as president and Congress in libertarian hands?

Comment

I wonder if Americans would be in favour of Proportional Representation? My country's Government has now passed a two round voting system although the Government preferred proportional representation. [1]

[1]. They did this because it didn't need a special majority unlike proportional representation.
                        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I'm not going to be quite as mean as Darth, (the allegations are less true of Ron Paul and sadly much more true of Rand Paul, i.e., the one who actually is young and ambitious for both power and approval.) but until Augusto Pinochet becomes the most popular figure in Libertarian or indeed any nascent American conservative movement, the odds of it doing any good are zero.

Originally posted by TheRightStuff.biz
                          Basically, hardcore Statism is required to reinstate an order that can even lead to something like libertarianism. This is the catch-22. The only possible methods that can achieve a type of libertarianism in America are repulsive to libertarians. Deontological libertarianism proscribes this fascism. The iron fist is ruled out a priori. Not because it doesn’t work, but because it is considered evil. Libertarians must discard this slave morality if they truly seek efficacy. If libertarians want to win — rather than just feel self-righteous — they must embrace what the reactionaries have to say.
                          The wrong word in the title is not "libertarian," it's "ballot." "Libertarianism" even in its more freakish forms is an entirely creditable philosophical bent for a man attempting to do good in this society, and I would see them educated. "One man, one vote" is a laughably outdated fiction in the face of the savages in Ferguson, Detroit, Gary, Philadelphia, and all other dead and dying urban centers in the USA. It bears repeating by those seriously interested in turning things around:

The disenfranchisement of degenerates is necessary. The average man is not a libertarian. By empowering every individual you will be mainly empowering progressives.
                          Last edited by Epoetker; 08-29-2014, 03:12 AM.

Comment

There's a reason I said "libertarians" and not "Ron Paul". I have my doubts that Ron Paul is even an actual libertarian so much as a former libertarian who still larps libertarianism out of political expediency.

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                            Basically, hardcore Statism is required to reinstate an order that can even lead to something like libertarianism.
                            And as soon as said libertarianism is instituted collective cultural rot will begin to accumulate. Most humans are simply not fit for large degrees of freedom. And no, limiting that freedom to white men won't do any good since that's what it was limited to and it didn't stop those white men from both eventually sharing it with everybody else and help contribute to the subsequend degeneracy.
                            Last edited by Darth Executor; 08-29-2014, 09:31 AM.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              If you were not jesting, you are wrong about abortion. 1) Ron Paul and many other libertarians are pro-life.
                              What does "many other libertarians" mean? Every survey I can find has them as a distinct minority.

2) Ron Paul does favor adequate defense and crime deterrence. You may not agree with what he advocates, if you really know what that is--a notion to laugh at
                              Why are you talking about Ron Paul? Where do you see me saying anything about Ron Paul? Are you illiterate? Also a notion to laugh at, but for different reasons.

3) "Degenerates"? I begin to fear that your mind is degenerating. 4) You are actually describing the situation somewhat as it is now (predatory billionaires, destructive policies). Why would it be worse with Ron Paul as president and Congress in libertarian hands?
                              Because they would give the people in charge even more power and wealth by removing the only obstacle that could conceivably put them in their place (a powerful government). And you're still talking about Ron Paul for some reason. Are you in love with him?

Comment